RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » best "fall foliage" trip out of NE ?

Author Topic: best "fall foliage" trip out of NE ?
dfwguy
Member # 3082

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dfwguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We will be in Boston early Oct. on biz and want to take 2 days or so to "leaf peep"-preferably by Amtrak. Any suggestions on a day trip out of New England area? We can drive to other locale from Boston to catch Amtrak if need be-so suggestion does not have to leave from Boston. Don't want to overnite on train- will do that at destination - We then will reverse the trip next day. Thanks...
Posts: 23 | From: dallas, tx USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How would an ininerary using the Vermonter from Springfield to Burlington, overnight there (it has many a tourist attraction), ferry to Port Kent, Adirondack to Albany, Lake Shore or bus back to Springfield sound?
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Adirondack northbound and Vermonter southbound will probably give you the best scenery for fall foliage. Mr Norman mentions the reverse, which will probably meet your schedule the best, but the northbound Vermonter will hit mid and northner Vermont in the dark by October. Great scenery all through Vermont. Southbound Vermonter is all daylight through Vermont. May want to try any of these two options:

(1) Lake Shore Limited from Boston/Springfield to Albany; overnight in Albany; Adirondack north from Albany with same day connection to Ferry at Port Kent, arrive Burlington VT. Highly recommend the Ferry and it is very easy to do - downhill walk from the Port Kent train station taking the Adirondack northbound. Ferry is an hour or so to cross Lake Champlain. Would call Ferry company listed in Amtrak timetable for schedule and operation in October. It changes seasonally. Overnight in Burlingon; then up bright and early for the southbound Vermonter to Springfield. Same day bus or Lake Shore Limited from Springfield to Boston.

(2)Late evening departure on NEC train from Boston to NYC. Overnight in NYC. Next day take the Adirondack from NYC to Port Kent (added bonus of seeing the Hudson Valley south of Albany - very scenic). Connect same day to Ferry at Port Kent bound for Burlington, VT (see above from Burlington back to Springfield/Boston).

The Raddison Hotel in Burlington is conveniently located on the Lake Champlain waterfront, not far from the ferry terminal. They provide shuttle service to the train station (or give you a voucher via cab).

Vermonter and Adirondack combo will be a great fall scenic trip. I do this routing at least five times a year - and if the ferry is not operation I get off at Plattsburgh and rent a car to drive to Burlington Vt.

There's also a rumor that they may be changing the schedule of the Vermonter - with the next timetable. I don't think that will be until late October or early November.

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dfwguy
Member # 3082

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dfwguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the great input. I appreciate it
Posts: 23 | From: dallas, tx USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pelarson
Member # 3382

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pelarson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jp1822:
The Adirondack northbound and Vermonter southbound will probably give you the best scenery for fall foliage. Mr Norman mentions the reverse, which will probably meet your schedule the best, but the northbound Vermonter will hit mid and northner Vermont in the dark by October. Great scenery all through Vermont. Southbound Vermonter is all daylight through Vermont. May want to try any of these two options:

(1) Lake Shore Limited from Boston/Springfield to Albany; overnight in Albany; Adirondack north from Albany with same day connection to Ferry at Port Kent, arrive Burlington VT. Highly recommend the Ferry and it is very easy to do - downhill walk from the Port Kent train station taking the Adirondack northbound. Ferry is an hour or so to cross Lake Champlain. Would call Ferry company listed in Amtrak timetable for schedule and operation in October. It changes seasonally. Overnight in Burlingon; then up bright and early for the southbound Vermonter to Springfield. Same day bus or Lake Shore Limited from Springfield to Boston.

(2)Late evening departure on NEC train from Boston to NYC. Overnight in NYC. Next day take the Adirondack from NYC to Port Kent (added bonus of seeing the Hudson Valley south of Albany - very scenic). Connect same day to Ferry at Port Kent bound for Burlington, VT (see above from Burlington back to Springfield/Boston).

The Raddison Hotel in Burlington is conveniently located on the Lake Champlain waterfront, not far from the ferry terminal. They provide shuttle service to the train station (or give you a voucher via cab).

Vermonter and Adirondack combo will be a great fall scenic trip. I do this routing at least five times a year - and if the ferry is not operation I get off at Plattsburgh and rent a car to drive to Burlington Vt.

There's also a rumor that they may be changing the schedule of the Vermonter - with the next timetable. I don't think that will be until late October or early November.

Posts: 8 | From: Camillus, NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pelarson
Member # 3382

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pelarson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jp1822:

(1) Lake Shore Limited from Boston/Springfield to Albany; overnight in Albany; [/B]

Might I suggest a slight change. The direct train arrives in Albany at 4:45pm(theoretically) if instead of staying in Albany DFWGUY might consider taking the Ethan Allen(291) to Saratoga Springs? Which is on the Adirondack line and might be more relaxing than Albany.

Posts: 8 | From: Camillus, NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"consider taking the Ethan Allen(291) to Saratoga Springs? Which is on the Adirondack line and might be more relaxing than Albany."

Great idea - some good hotels in and around Saratoga Springs. Just be sure to note the Ethan Allen's schedule, as it different Fri. through Sunday, and keep in mind the Lake Shore Limited's Boston section is often late.

Some hotels in Saratoga Springs offer shuttle service to and from the station. I think taxi cab service has improved since the opening of the new Saratoga Springs station, but do confirm transportation to and from hotel/train station if lodging in Saratoga Springs.

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maryann
Member # 2585

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for maryann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking forward to the Adirondack, Oct. 27 - hope it's not too cold but need to be in Montreal then,

Remember being nervous that it was not funded - glad it was.

Posts: 32 | From: westpalmbeach,fl | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
The Adirondack is one of my favorite trains in the NE. I have never been disappointed, and despite having a book in my hand, I don't think I ever read more than a chapter - scenery always makes the trip inspiring and relaxing. Good luck!

My advice - sit on the left side leaving NYP for Hudson River views and then switch at Albany to the right side for Lake Champlain viewing. On lighter days, the switching of seats isn't too bad, but if it seems crowded, I'd stake out the right side for the entire duration over the left and go to the cafe for breakfast to enjoy the Hudson River viewing.

Adirondack has been operating with ex-Metroliner equipment (Amfleets), which is quite roomy and comfortable. Occasionally a Capstone coach is thrown in.

Enjoy! Hope to make the trip up to Burlington,VT from NYC utlizing the Adirondack and Vermonter this fall as well!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page