RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Mail Contract

Author Topic: Mail Contract
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am curious why Amtrak lost the mail contract with the Post Office. Evidently, this is a major "set-back" for the corporation----and the "timing" probably could not have been worse.
Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh???

I've seen this addressed at other boards, but no mention of the nature and scope.

Where I have not seen mention is within either general circulation or specialty media (i.e. TRAINS).

Please enlighten; enquiring minds want to know.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 08-10-2004).]

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LateShoreLimited
Member # 2025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LateShoreLimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldnt say Amtrak lost the contract but rather they walked away. Gunn had stated previously that he wanted to turn attention back to the customer first. In his view, the profit made did not outweigh delays it caused. All the roadrailers have been sold to Triple Crown effective Oct 1st. The rumored plan is to go from 38 stations handling mail to just 8. Which would be just end points. You would think that if it made any profit it would be enough but I guess not. There has been no official announcement. Everybody is just going on rumors currently..............
Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in agreement with LSL - AFAIK Amtrak didn't want the delays caused by attaching/detaching mail cars so they terminated the contract - not the post office. I thought it was a news item - or maybe just a passing comment - in TRAINS magazine earlier this year but I could be wrong.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is also my understanding that due to the poor otp of several of the long haul trains carrying mail that the penalties that Amtrak was paying the USPS for late arrival of mail was eating up any potential profit to be made.
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is interesting. I was under the impression that hauling mail was still a good source of income for Amtrak.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page