RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Beware of Jonathons Amtrak websight (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Beware of Jonathons Amtrak websight
boyishcolt
Member # 3001

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for boyishcolt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jonathans in Seattle

[This message has been edited by boyishcolt (edited 08-14-2004).]

Posts: 193 | From: illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Jonathon is quite concerned about it. Evidently someone hacked his site. He and I had some IM discussion about it Monday night. He told me Tuesday he had informed Trainweb staff, and I had the impression that it had been cleared up. Perhaps not.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 08-11-2004).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boyishcolt
Member # 3001

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for boyishcolt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i don't don't think anyone hacked it.
he useing a very old laptop computer with out any virus protection
that just asking for trouble

Posts: 193 | From: illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JFB
Member # 2520

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JFB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would someone care to relate the nature of this virus? It'd be nice for the rest of us to know if our computers are infected. There's little point in posting this thread otherwise.

Is it indeed a virus, or is it adware/spyware? Those are two completely different problems that require two completely different courses of action.

The name of the critter, whatever it is, would be helpful. Without that, this warning is useless to anyone already infected.

Information, please.

Posts: 60 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boyishcolt
Member # 3001

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for boyishcolt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when i took it to the computer store they said it was a form of the trojan virus
they installed spyware blaster and spyware guard also spybot seach and destroy will get the virus. they said all of it can be downloaded for free off the internet they also upgrade there software every week so any new virus's can be stopped

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JFB is right. Spybot will not remove viruses, it'll only remove adware/spyware (and very good it is too, although I suggest getting another one as well as no program eliminates all spyware).

Get something like Sophos to remove viruses.

One final thing: web*SITE*!

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boyishcolt
Member # 3001

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for boyishcolt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks Geoff
i will have them load it for me to make sure it is in there and working
i have seen it spelled both ways
site and sight

Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Site" is a place. "Sight" is your ability to see.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Webite seems perfectly fine to me.

I'm sure Jonathan has it under control.

------------------
--Anton L.
pillsbury09@excite.com
AIM: pillsburyMN

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boyishcolt
Member # 3001

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for boyishcolt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is that according to "Websters" Mr.Toy?
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

JFB
Member # 2520

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JFB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info. Trojan-activated spy/adware is uncommon, but among the hardest pests to remove from a system. My (experienced) sympathies to those who have had to deal with this.

Pest Patrol offers a free spy/adware scan on their website that I've found invaluable in keeping my computer clean: http://www.pestscan.com/Scan.asp When the page loads, enter "Yes" at the prompt for download (don't worry; it's harmless, and neccessary for scanning), then press the "Scan Now" button when it appears. You'll soon see a list of all "pest" components installed on your computer. Though the site encourages you to buy its commercial pest-ridding software, it also offers information on alternative (free) methods of cleaning your computer by clicking on the listed item. Be aware, however, that this site only reveals ad/spyware, not viruses. For the latter, you'll need a reputable anti-virus program like Norton's.

A word of warning: be very suspicious of "free" pest-cleaning software found on the internet. Many such programs will install their own ad/spyware while ostensibly ridding your computer of others'. These are particularly malicious and hard to get rid of.

Geoff's recommendation of Spybot is a good one. Effective and reputable. But always research the product before you download it. Pest Patrol has a large archive of malicious "pest-cleaners." Googling helps, too.

Posts: 60 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JFB is right - there are bogus ad removers out there. Read reviews on reputable sites, like PC magazines, before downloading something that you've never heard of.

The other one I use (now I'm at home I can remember what it is!) is Ad-Aware 6.0. Both Spybot and Ad-aware find things that the other program doesn't. While some are harmless site tracking cookies, others aren't so nice. Trouble is, once you let just one certain piece of software install itself, you're now wide open to everything else. It's like a rogue security/doorman holding the door open to anybody.

There is no such thing as "websight", whether through Websters or any other English dictionary. Website is a valid word. If you have seen it spelt "websight" elsewhere, then that is wrong.

One final thing I recommend to everybody: uninstall Outlook [Express] and don't use Internet "Swiss cheese" Exporer. I personally use Mozilla (free) but there are other reputable browsers out there, like Opera, Netscape, etc. These also include an email client. Allegedly the XP SP2 pack coming from Microsoft to a PC near you will fix many of the security issues in Explorer and Outlook, but then MS have said that before and yet look where we are today.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is Jonathan on his Seattle Starlight trip??
Typically he would have answered this thread by now.

------------------
--Anton L.
pillsbury09@excite.com

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boyishcolt
Member # 3001

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for boyishcolt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes i think he is in Seattle or somewhere in Washington it is apple season
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Yes, Jonathon is on his trip. I got to meet him and his dad when they came through Salinas Wednesday evening. Nice people.
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's Jonathan like?
And how old is he?

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who the hell is Jonathan?!!!
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Jonathon is a nice 16 year old who is crazy about trains, and he cant spell.

Yeah what is Jonathon like Mr. Toy!

You drove all the way out to Salinas to see Jonathon?

------------------
--Anton L.
pillsbury09@excite.com

polarbearucla
Member # 2723

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for polarbearucla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question: What is the relationship between boyishcult and johnathon? since im always accused of having two usernames, is boyishcult johnathons other name or does he just know way too much about jonathon?

Or am i just really confused (im betting on this answer)

Posts: 108 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBriz09
Member # 3166

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBriz09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting how boyishcolt edited his original post, so now absolutely no one has any clue what this thread is supposed to be about.
Posts: 93 | From: Batavia, IL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boyishcolt
Member # 3001

Rate Member
yeah right Polarbearucla (or should i say Anton or should i say CS99?)i know as much about Jonathan as you do
i took the post down because of (remain nameless) of someone's total *iching

littletrain
Member # 2660

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for littletrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
polarbear stop taking two names to try and trick us. either use cs99 or polarbear not both!!
Posts: 117 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
WHAT?????????????????????
Im a person you idiot littletrain.
I talk to polarbear on AIM.

WE ARE TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!

check the IP Addresses

------------------
--Anton L.
pillsbury09@excite.com

CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Jonathon, me, boyishcolt, polarbearucla, and littletrain are all different people you guys. IM POSSITIVE.
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
---I am posting this message from the hotel's "Free High Speed Internet" Service that is for there there guest, while Staying in Takwilla Washington, a few miles from Seattle.

I would Like to Ask all to not take the risk of visiting my site, I have recieved threats from a RailForum member (who will remain nameless for Obveiss resons) that one or more virisses may be on my site, the Hotel Computer has no FTP program, and The Site: Amtrak Pages (http://trainweb.org/amtrakfan) will be taken care of when I return, Tell then, I ask that you not visit, -Thank You-

---------------------------------------

as for the Trip, Its been good so far, never met JKchubbes though, waited in the Lounge from SAC till 4 am, and met no one, The Starlight for the trip here was lead by 2 F59PHI LocoMotives in the California Paint Sheme, yet also had 2 P42s, and a Private Car at the end,, I did meet some one in Salinsa though... Mr.Toy! whe we pulled in, It took them for ever to get the door open, tell a Pasenger opened it them selfves, the Conductor didnt like that, after we Got out, I was able to Meat Mr.Toy, though we didnt get to speak for long because we were running late,(by the way, Thanks for waiting for us!) after that things didnt get better, We got into Seattle's King Street Station 4 Hours Late! at 1 am, (see in the Trip Report, will be written when I get back)-----

I got 2 UP CLOSE(!) photos of the burned Mono Rail, and even beter news in the Paper today, The Seattle MonoRail will NOT be scraped!!!, the dicision was made the it is to valueble to get rid of, so it will be Repaired then returned to servive!

The damage wasnt as bad as I thought the window on the right side facing Seattle Center is melted, 2 hallowed out seat frame are all that remains of a midle sections of seats, only burned wiring is left of some lights directly above that, the (metal -or- fiberglass???) covering that covers the section where the 2 car-end meet is ether burned off completly, or has been removed, I could see right through from one side of the Train and out the other, the section of floor that was burned was compleatly eaten through by flames and I could see from the Train's left side into and through the floor to its track and maintnance area, the rest of the Fire Abused Train looked unharmed, I am glad the city has desided to save it, the hotel clerk said one of Seattle's old Trains ( I dont know if its a MonoRail he was talking about or not) called the "Bubleatore" ended up being save from the junk yard and is in someones backyard, he said that evan when he rode it he notice that there was Duct Tape everywhere and that its been on it's last leg for a while,,---

Sorry to cut this short, but it looks like other poeple want to use this PC so, I better go,-

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpireBuilder
Member # 2036

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for EmpireBuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in Seattle in July and right in Seattle Center and went to the Space Needle and everything and I never got to see the burned out cars on the monorail track. I guess I didn't look that closely either so that could be why.

At least its still closed while you're there, so I don't need to worry about being jealous of you for getting to ride it. Where in that area was the burned out train stopped at?

Posts: 97 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After almost having horror from the just-passed hurricane Charley all of this crap about Jonathon, etc. is small potatoes. Let's talk about Amtrak!
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boyishcolt
Member # 3001

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for boyishcolt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that spelling and grammer is sad and pathetic.
maybe someone could show him how to edit it or do it for him?

JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
funny, I see no sign or message saying, "YOU HAVE TO REPLY"

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boyishcolt
Member # 3001

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for boyishcolt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is chubbles and Jonathon one of the same?
do you have anything real that you can tell us about Amtrak?

JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait for the Trip Report

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Jonathon, thanks for checking in, and thanks for your mini report. It was nice meeting you and your dad, however briefly. Your passage through the area gave me an extra excuse to finally get out to Salinas so I could put some NARP brochures on display.

Perhaps you heard, but one of your fellow passengers almost got left behind in Salinas. Some lady lingered in the station too long. I saw her run out frantically as the train started moving. Lucky for her a conductor was still by an open window of the nearest coach, and he was able to stop the train so she could re-board.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 08-16-2004).]

Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jonathan,

I'm sorry your website was "hacked" and I hope you can repair it soon.

I just wanted to say how *impressed* I was by your vivid reporting of the sad condition of the Seattle Monorail. I learned more from your detailed and lively description then I have been able to uncover in the media.

Congratulations on such excellent reportage.

For those who say talking about one of America's great monorail systems is not pertinent on an Amtrak forum, I would remind them that Jonathan reported on the Seattle monorail during an Amtrak adventure.

If a person can only "talk Amtrak" on this forum, we will remove from this forum the essence of great travel writing. Our conversation will be limited to discussion about train "consists" and won't that be exciting.

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What happened to the Seattle monorial?
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lets just remove this mask from Mr.Toy and find out who he really is......my god its still Mr. Toy.
Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is Mr. Ortiz, i.e. Jonathon's father, in railroad service??
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for M190     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lessee, Who's on first, What's on second, Idunno's on third.....
Posts: 106 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Look forward to the trip report Jonathon!!

------------------
--Anton L.
pillsbury09@excite.com

JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Thanks Chucky!
-
The burned section is in bad shape, I'd say the floor (where all mecanical and electonic hardware is) would most be hard to repair, they would need to find something to fill in that missing section of floor, plus, replacing/repairing burned hardware, The photos will show, I realy wanted to see them, so today I whent to a local Wal*Mart to see about getting the one roll developed, but, they were to busy, and I would have to leave it over nite, but I'm leaving tomarrow, so, guess I'll have to wait

I visited a Model RailRoad Store in Tacoma today (remember, this is happening During an Amtrak Trip, so technicaly, I'm not off-topic hehe ) where I picked up a Soldering Iron, an AirBrushing Kit, and the 2004 edition of a book that list ALL of the Trains for 04, so I just pick out what I want, call around untell I find the store that has it, and go to that store directly, no visiting several to find one item .

This is the last time I use the hotel PC, since I leave to marrow.

The one thing I would like to know about the MonoRail, is, How did they get it Back into it's Station after The Incident?

When I get back, once the virus is taken care of, There will be a contest, well, more like a free give away for those with Train Sim, I will make a post on it lator

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page