RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Advice/Suggestions for traveling on Cardinal

Author Topic: Advice/Suggestions for traveling on Cardinal
kdickers
Member # 3425

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for kdickers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a first time train traveler and have searched the web for information on the Cardinal (with limited success).

My daughter and I have reserved a viewliner standard sleeper and will be traveling from Ashland, KY to Chicago and on to Milwaukee on Hiawatha. We are both looking forward to this experience but want to be prepared.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for first time travelers and/or about the Cardinal??

Also looking for information about current state of the Cardinal!!

Posts: 10 | From: Bruin, KY | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Call or check the Amtrak web for train status before you leave home to try to minimize you waiting time. Don't plan on any close cdonnections. That should not be too hard since there are multiple trains Chicago to Milwaukee. If you are having someone meet you, tell them to call to check your arrival time in Chicago, and from that figure out what train you will be on into Milwaukee. If you have not, get a WalMart or Sams calling card so you can call people cheaply, unless you have a cell phone you can use, that is.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Judy
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grandma Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you connect to the Hiawatha in Chicago, you will arrive on the south concourse & cross the station to the north concourse to board the Hiawatha. Halfway there will be an Amtrack information desk on your right. Turn there to go to the waiting room for the Hiawatha. Since you arrived from a sleeper, you could use the Metropolitan Lounge to wait if you like, but I think that I read that it is being renovated so it is not in its usual location. One of "Julie's friends" could advise you on its status. If that lounge is open, you can use the less-crowded restrooms there & even temporarily stow your bags if you will have a long wait. Be sure to download the Hiawatha schedule from the Amtrak website so you will have an idea of how long you have to wait. If there is a very short wait time, ask your sleeper attendant to notify a redcap on the platform that you need a ride to the connecting Hiawatha. I have made a very close connection that way & it was worth the tip to the redcap to do so.

The Hiawatha does not have a dining car, but many departures have a roving pushcart with soda, chips, etc - (no coffee, though).

I'm sure you are already aware that the standard Viewliner sleeper is "cozy" to say the least. You did not mention the age of your daughter, but you should be aware that the toilet in the room has no privacy - be prepared to have one of you step into the hall while the other uses the "facilities". There are no general use toilets in the Viewliner sleepers.

Posts: 122 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll find the daylight ride on the Cardinal through Indiana pretty enjoyable. Be prepared for an excrutiating slow approach to Chicago Union Station though....and as others have advised, check the train's timekeeping through the day. Might save you some time waiting around the Ashland station......a very nice station but one that is unmanned with no one to tell you if the train is running hours late.

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
posting moved

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 08-16-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kdickers
Member # 3425

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kdickers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the advice . . . I've already downloaded the schedule for the Hiawatha and have that ready in my "little" packet of information!! Ha! Ha!

I'll DEFINATELY keep the "redcap" advice stored for reference . . . we're "supposed" to arrive in CHI at 10:50am and leave on the Hiawatha at 1pm so . . . if I miss that one there are still several more quickly behind it.

My daughter is 13 so . . . she'll get the UPPER . . . unfortuantely we won't get to see much of the scenery on the northbound trip as we'll be leaving AKY at midnight. Hopefully we'll get to experience the full effect on the return trip though!!

Anyone got any news on the refurbishing of the lounge at CHI??

Posts: 10 | From: Bruin, KY | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a temporary Met Lounge located within the premises formerly occupied by the Gold Lion Restaurant. That is located at the Southwest Corner of the "Great Hall".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page