RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » adirondack

Author Topic: adirondack
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anybody ever ride the adirondack from montreal to new york city? im doing it on labor day. just wondering if you have any tips.
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To score a wide-screen view of Lake Champlain and the surrounding landscape as you head south from Montreal, plant yourself in the cafe car. Rearmost booth. Left side of the train.

For the most panoramic view of the Hudson River, do the same on the right side of the train after leaving Albany-Rensselaer.

And speaking of Albany-Rensselaer, don't forget to get off the train to stretch your legs. It usually sits there for 10-15 minutes. Just don't wander away.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Adirondack is one of my favorite trains in the Northeast. Great scenery up the Hudson River (left side northbound) between NYC and Albany. North of Albany, scenery is mostly on the right side (northbound) - some great views with the mountains, Vermont on the eastern bank, and Lake Champlain in the middle. The trip has always inspired and given me some good relaxation therapy. Spend more time looking out the window than reading my book. ALthough I miss the larger windows the Heritage and Turboliner equipment afforded when it plied this route, the Amfleet consist that the Adirondack currently uses is an ex-Metroliner trainset in pretty descent shape. Enjoy!
Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpireBuilder
Member # 2036

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmpireBuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jp1822:
ALthough I miss the larger windows the Heritage and Turboliner equipment afforded when it plied this route, the Amfleet consist that the Adirondack currently uses is an ex-Metroliner trainset in pretty descent shape. Enjoy!

Since the Adirondack uses ex-Metroliner equipment, does that mean the route it is on is electrified?

Posts: 97 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The route of the Adirondack is NOT electrified -- what jp means is that the cars are ex-Metroliner (basically well-maintined Amfleet cars), but I would imagine the loco is a Genesis unit (don't know, since I haven't been on the Adirondack recently) rather than the AEM or Acela electrics that the Metroliners use in the NEC.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JFB
Member # 2520

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JFB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To clarify on Rich's point, the ex-Metroliner cars are not former MUs from 1968 (which ceased operation in the late 1970's), simply Amfleet I cars with seating configured for Amtrak's locomotive-hauled Metroliner service. They're used on the Adirondack because they offer more legroom than regular Amfleet coaches--a Godsend to anyone who has ridden the train in its last two incarnations (quasi-Heritage and regular Amfleet).

The train uses two engines during its run: a P32AC Dual Mode (electric/diesel) from Penn Station to Albany, and a P40DC from Albany to Montreal.

It's a nice train. Comfortable equipment and unsurpassable scenery. But too bad it's not 1975 anymore:

[This message has been edited by JFB (edited 08-24-2004).]

Posts: 60 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a trade off for Amtrak bringing passengers to Montreal from the States, I wish Via could give the Adirondack a Skyline Dome Car or Park Car (Via has enough domes to help out) for the ride between Montreal and Albany. Would really add to the Adirondack train experience. And since they switch engines in Albany, wouldn't be too hard to take the engine and dome off at the same time! Park Car a little more laborous if tacked on rear. The Adirondack could really benefit from some sort of Sightseer/Lounge car to take in the great scenery and long journey.
Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
If worried about the toilet issue in the Canadian equipment - just lock them up so they can't be used!
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Adirondack is my favorite train in the Northeast.The scenery is totally fantastic.First you get the Adirondack Mountains and Lake Champlain, then the ride along the Hudson.Nothing in the east can beat it!
Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JFB - great photo!! I don't quite recognize the station, however, but I have not been on the Adirondack for many years -- is that per chance Montreal Central station?
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JFB
Member # 2520

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JFB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. Can't take credit, of course. The photo is courtesy of this site, found via Google Images.

The station is Canadian Pacific's Windsor Station, a masterpiece of Dominion architecture. The building still stands, platforms and all, and has been nicely restored in recent years. Alas, no trains. All operations, Adirondack included, were consolidated in Central Station in the early 1980's. A stadium now stands between Windsor and its approaching tracks, which, though still used for commuter service, terminate abruptly at the arena.

The Adirondack of 1974-78 was quite a ride. Not only was one treated to a diner/lounge, and, north of Albany, a dome car (later, observation-dome)--not to mention the ALCO PAs--but also one had the pleasure of boarding at Grand Central and alighting at Windsor. The train was a finely equipped shuttle between two of the world's finest terminals.

It's still a great train, Amfleet, Penn and Central stations and all, but these days its virtues lie mostly out the window.

Posts: 60 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Judy
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grandma Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering about that picture, too. I have never seen a dome on the Adirondack. (In the last 5 years, anyway.)
Posts: 122 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maryann
Member # 2585

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for maryann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will be taking the Adrondack-Oct. 28 - from Albany-R - is there food (snacks and or meals) aboard ?

We have coach seats (as all do ) and know about customs taking longer, etc.

My ???'s - in Montreal - how do you negotiate the terminal, getting to a taxi, etc.? Getting on in Alb/R - how strict are the luggage limits ? Need a little leeway as we are going up there for a cruise.

Any help will be appreciated - Thanks !

Posts: 32 | From: westpalmbeach,fl | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pelican
Member # 754

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pelican     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taxis are not a problem at Central Station (Gare Centrale)about 24 hours a day since the cab stand at the top of the stairs (escalator) to Rene Lesveque Ave is shared with the Queen Elizabeth Hotel. There is also a taxi stand at waiting room level out the exit to La Gauchetere during station hours.

There is a snack bar on the train.

Can you carry the baggage? I have seen Quebec folks (not going to get into that political squabble - cois vs ers) carry huge boxes and trash bags full of goods from NYP. Remember that Customs may want to check through you baggage.

Also, lately, if a US or Canadian citizen, it has been required that you have an official birth certificate (with seal of state etc) and a picture ID such a drivers liscense, or a passport.

To Montreal, north of Albany the best seats are on the right, especially along Lake Champlain.

[This message has been edited by pelican (edited 08-27-2004).]

Posts: 28 | From: Alexandria VA 22315 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maryann
Member # 2585

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maryann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Pelican.

You mention stairs/escalator at the station, are there, perchance, an elevator or porter ?

Hope so.

Posts: 32 | From: westpalmbeach,fl | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pelican
Member # 754

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pelican     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes there is an elevator to Rene Lesveque at the corner of the waiting room toward the QE Hotel. Redcaps are available. The cab stand on La Gauchetere is at waiting room level. The platform is below the waiting room and there are elevators (and redcaps) there too. Redcaps and other staff are friendly and helpful, in general.

If you are staying at the QE they will have their bellman take you to the train.

Posts: 28 | From: Alexandria VA 22315 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NS VIA FAN
Member # 3161

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for NS VIA FAN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two CP “Skyline” Domes (the same ones now owned by VIA and still running on the Canadian & Ocean) were leased for several months when the Adirondack was first inaugurated in 1974. They carried D&H names and colours. After they were returned to CP, Amtrak supplied Dome Coaches 9561 & 9562 which D&H promptly repainted by replacing the Red with Yellow on the Red/White/Blue window band to match the rest of the blue and yellow consist.

They lasted about a week in this scheme before an Amtrak official sported them and ordered them returned to their original colours. (You can see one of these domes in the photo a couple of messages above this)

Also in this photo you will see the "CN" sign above the locomotive's horn. This is CN's Office Building above Central Station and to the left of this in the photo is the Queen Elizabeth Hotel.

[This message has been edited by NS VIA FAN (edited 09-02-2004).]

Posts: 4 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NS VIA FAN
Member # 3161

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for NS VIA FAN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Adirondack could be “under wires” on the approach into Central Station from the south depending on the track it uses. Montreal has a commuter train operation that uses Bombardier Electric MU. They approach Central Station from the north side through the Mount Royal Tunnel but several of the tracks equipped with catenary extend thru the station to the south side.

If you get a chance, ride the MU’s out to Deux Montagnes (Two Mountains) This is an interesting operation: first exiting Central Station through the 3 mile long Mount Royal Tunnel, then through some residential areas and finally some scenic “island hopping” across a couple of rivers into Deux Montagnes.

Check out this site (in French but some good photos)
http://www.emdx.org/rail/DeuxMontagnes/neuf.html

Posts: 4 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for that picture. I rode that train when it had the dome car. That was my first experience in a dome. I loved every minute of it. There was a grill cafe on the lower level beneath the dome. I wish they would use a dome again on the Adirondack....a big dome like on the Surfliner. They did couple it on at Albany.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Metman007
Member # 155

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Metman007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome picture JFB!
Posts: 9 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page