RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » South West Chief Radio add

Author Topic: South West Chief Radio add
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard an Add on the Radio for the SWC, any one else here it?

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At such time the advertisment is aired on WFMT 98.7 WNIU 90.5 or (New York) WQXR 96.3, guess I'll be able to tell you.

Something tells me, JONATHON, none of those stations, or their equivalent, if any, in Southern California, are exactly on your "listen to" list.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasnt listening to the Station, fouund it wile looking for something else.

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Methinks the replies to this thread belong in a 'Pounce on Jonathan' topic. Geez, the guy is spontaneous and an enthusiastic passenger railfan. I look forward to his posts. I envy Mr. Toy for getting to meet him.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Thanx TwinStar!

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While the linked article appearing in Today's New York Times is not related to railroads in any manner, it does not appear to be any more off topic that much of the tripe I see posted at this Forum.

It may actually be of interest to JONATHON;
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/26/education/26bully.html?hp

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for M190     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Twinstar;

Here here! Bravo! Ditto dat. etc.

Posts: 106 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Methinks I got Mr. Norman's humorous point, but completely missed "the pounce."
Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds interesting. Can you remember what radio station you heard it on? Maybe KFI, just a guess though. Was it AM or FM?

I have heard radio ads for the Surfliner, but never one for the Chief. This is one ad I'd really like to hear.

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where are you going with the article Gilbert?
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Here you go, Mr. Starlight-- http://www.wfmt.com/ http://www.niu.edu/npr/wel.htm http://www.wqxr.com/cgi-bin/iowa/index.html

zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...we are momentarily interrupting our presentation of Bach's "Keyboard Concerto #2 in E" to bring you a message from our fine friends at Amtrak...."

Chances of 98.7 listeners hearing that are slim, but I took that as Mr. Norman's original point. People of his ilk must bear the burden of going through life with limited exposure to Amtrak radio commercials. Unless..unless he can acquire a taste for country. Possible, GBN?

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I would hope, Mr. Zephyr, that a programmer could schedule Bach's Concerto #2 in E Major BWV 1053 to be aired without interruption.

As for C&W, Sorry bout that!

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 08-26-2004).]

yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Railroads and classical music may not necessarily be two seperate beasts.
A. Dvorak, the late 19th century classical composer (I would add "great" classical composer) was a real railfan and train watcher. It is said some of his orchestral music was inspired by steam locomotives. He was a great train spotter not only in his native Czechoslovakia, but also in the US when he came over here in the 1890's. There is one story of one time when he asked a young man, who was either courting or engaged to his daughter, to run over to a local train station. He wanted the man to jot down the number on the side of a steam locomotive so he could follow its progress to various locales across the country. The young man, instead, took down the number on the coal tender, instead of the locomotive. Dvorak later said something about the fact he wondered if the man would make his daughter a good husband if he couldn't even get his train #'s straight.

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can Jonathon make a post without this happening??
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boyishcolt
Member # 3001

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for boyishcolt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i don't think so
Posts: 193 | From: illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page