RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Why are meals "free" with sleeper purchase

Author Topic: Why are meals "free" with sleeper purchase
dfwguy
Member # 3082

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dfwguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I apologize in advance if this question has been discussed here before..
Why does Amtrak give "free" (as it were) meals with the purchase of a sleeper? Did the old pax railroads do this in the golden age of rail travel? Or- did the RR's charge all pax for meals (even though food was generally sold at a loss) Would it be more economicaly feasible if Amtrak stopped this practice and contracted out dining room service with a third party to provide the meals (for purchase). Thanks for shedding any insight into this.

Posts: 23 | From: dallas, tx USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People love to believe they're getting something for nothing. But regardless of the claims made by Amtrak's promotional materials, the meals and in-car refreshments you receive as a sleeper passenger are neither "free" nor "complimentary."

The average cost of all meals (as wells as coffee, soft drinks, bottled water, etc.) for two passengers is built into the price of each room.

Unfortunately, that means a sleeper passenger traveling solo on a 24 hour journey will eat three meals, but actually pay for six -- two breakfasts, two lunches, and two dinners.

On pre-Amtrak railroads, meals and drinks were almost invariably pay-as-you-go. Promoting Amtrak's food as gratis is a marketing trick borrowed from the airlines. Back in the days when TWA and American actually served food on every flight, those meals, too, were anything but free.

As much as I enjoy traveling by train, Amtrak's current practice is a major rip-off. I'd like to see the railroad lose the "complimentary" meals, lower sleeper prices accordingly, and allow passengers to simply purchase whatever meals they choose.

Since people have to eat, the dining cars would still be heavily patronized. And passengers would pay for only those meals they truly want or need -- nothing more and nothing less.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 08-29-2004).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ultimate solution, as least as far as this retired CPA sees it, would be to make the Dining Car "cash free". Coach passengers desiring to eat in the Diner would buy a "meal ticket', preferably at a ticket office.

Wine sales, a unit accountable item, could be controlled through the Lounge Car. Therefore, adoption of this procedure would mean no reason to have any "company cash' whatsoever in the Diner. The food is always suspect to "take a walk' just as it is in any land based restaurant. But at least the cash won't as there wouldn't be any.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, sometimes the meal is really free because you don't get a meal with sleeper units.
Here in San Jose, I have boarded after the dining car has closed...due to the lateness of the train. No meal...but it is free!
I wonder if I wrote Amtrak a letter they would reimburse for the dinner meal I never
received?

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak's official position is that meals are "complimentary." If you are on the train during a meal period, you get the meal; if not, you don't. So if a late running train causes you to miss a meal, too bad - no refund. Conversely, if a late running train allows you to get a meal you wouldn't otherwise get, bonus. No extra charge. I've had both happen to me.
I'd bet that in fact a portion of the dining car operation (and not meals) are built into the price of a sleeper room. If they did otherwise, then there may not be enough patronage to justify its continued presence on the train. The food itself is actually only a small portion of the cost of operating the dining car.
Incidentally, I take exception to the statement made by dilly on the solo passenger in a sleeper room. True, they cover the cost of twice as many meals as they would actually consume... but they are also paying only one rail fare for two seats. (A rail fare must be paid by every passenger in the room. So although the accomodation charge doesn't change, the amount of revenue generated from that room by Amtrak does. In my mind, it's a fair trade.)

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charging a solo passenger for the dinner he or she eats is fair. Charging them for an extra "phantom" dinner definitely isn't fair.

Even on coast-to-coast trips, the "rail fare" portion of the ticket is usually a reasonable value. It's the "room" portion that pushes the final tab into the stratosphere. And a major reason why the room portion is so high comes down to the built-in cost of the meals.

On the longest solo Amtrak sleeper trip I've taken (about 8000 miles), my rail fare portion came to $690. Yes, it's true Amtrak missed out on the additional $690 rail fare it would have collected had my girlfriend come along to occupy the other seat.

During the trip, however, I consumed 17 solo dining car meals. Since my ticket price included "meals for two," that means I paid for 17 phantom meals as well.

Did it help the railroad recoup that $690 in lost fare revenue? Big time.

According to my trusty calculator, I paid just over $40.58 apiece for EACH phantom breakfast, lunch, and dinner my non-traveling girlfriend didn't get to eat. ($40.58 x 17 meals = $690)

I like French Toast as much as the next guy. But 40 bucks for a plateful is a raw deal -- especially when I've paid for it, never see it (let alone eat it), and Amtrak gets to resell it to another passenger.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 08-30-2004).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There not "Free"

If you get the Salad which is listed for 6$ you will be paying for the 20$ steak..but its fun

------------------
--Anton L.
pillsbury09@excite.com
AIM: pillsburyMN

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pelarson
Member # 3382

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pelarson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dilly:
According to my trusty calculator, I paid just over $40.58 apiece for EACH phantom breakfast, lunch, and dinner my non-traveling girlfriend didn't get to eat. ($40.58 x 17 meals = $690)

No offense but I think you missed one factor. The accomodations portion of the fare is for room and board not just board. So if you figure $45-50 per night for the room that changes the food cost equation a bit.

Posts: 8 | From: Camillus, NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpireBuilder
Member # 2036

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for EmpireBuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's important to remember that they could have just as easily sold that two persom room to a group of two traveling, rather than to one person. It's the same reason why a motel/hotel room that could fit 2 or 4 people has a base price and then usually only charges $5 more per person, because their room is being used just the same by one as it would be by two or more.
Posts: 97 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
$40-$50 per night for a room?

Above and beyond the $690 I mentioned above (which covered only the rail fare part of the ticket), Amtrak's accommodations cost for my trip (with meals for two) was an additional $1500. Since I spent a total of 6 nights in a sleeper, my average accommodations cost was $250 per night (not including rail fare). Even if I'd brought someone along for the ride, the room price would have been the same.

My point is that the cost of 34 meals was built into that price. But since I traveled alone, I was actually served only 17. That's an awful lot of unserved (but paid for) food I never got to eat, which Amtrak was able to resell to other passengers.

I agree that Amtrak undoubtedly does this to recoup the rail fare revenue it "loses" whenever a sleeper room is only half-occupied.

But is it fair? I don't think so. When I travel by myself in coach, Amtrak doesn't make me pick up the tab for the empty seat next to mine -- or all the empty rows behind me.

That's why one-passenger SlumberCoach roomettes and pay-as-you-go meals are old ideas that deserve to be revisited.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 08-31-2004).]

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a thought Dilly, maybe you're only paying for, say 25 meals, rather than 34. Because there are a lot of solo travellers, so Amtrak must make a slight loss on couples and a slight gain on solos... maybe.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Judy
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grandma Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And consider cruises & tours which charge you a "single supplement" because you are traveling solo. Maybe that entitles you to eat half again as much. (ROFL) At least Amtrak won't try to book someone else in my deluxe room with me because the space & meals are being utilized. I do think it adds insult to injury to add a rail fare to the astronomical accommodation charge - or is that to be sure there is a seat for me in a coach somewhere if my sleeper is bad-ordered as I am about to board the train? - I doubt it!

There's a question - what happens if coach is sold out and your sleeper is bad-ordered before you get on the train? Do they make you sit in the lounge?

Posts: 122 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Bear in mind that I often travel by train with my girlfriend and family members. But the solo traveler issue is my principal "Amtrak rant."

Then again, we all have sore points. Some members of this forum become quite disturbed whenever the Coast Starlight runs without a Pacific Parlour Car. Others went into near-shock when Amtrak discontinued the "complimentary" chocolate chip cookies. And more than a few have gotten bent out of shape by the sight of an Amtrak consist sporting a long line of mismatched paint jobs.

Me? I get slightly perturbed when required to pay for goods or services I don't receive.

Some might argue that solo travelers should pay the extra premium without complaining, since the empty seat/berth in their room can't be sold to another potential passenger. However, outside of July and August, I've rarely been in a sleeping car where every room was occupied. I've traveled solo in cars where as few as four rooms were in use. Obviously, I didn't deprive a potential customer of the chance to buy a bed for the night. But I still "paid the price" as if I had.

Basically, the way the fare is structured is a variation of the "single supplement" solo vacationers are charged by package tour companies, cruise lines, and the like -- despite the fact that a solo traveler will use only half the amount of toilet paper and hot water, and eat only half the food that a couple traveling together will consume during the same trip.

So if you're a solo sleeper passenger? All I can say is. . . solidarity.

Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very thought-provoking response there, Dilly.

So, if we should happen to meet in coach and become friends, do you suppose it would be possible for both of us to buy a sleeper from the conductor and enjoy all its benefits for just one fare, instead of two?

Of course, we'd have to sleep in the same room, but not necessarily in the same bed.

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't really disagreeing with you Dilly, as I am an experienced solo traveller myself (no arguements that way).

The way many European trains go (not that I particularly like it, nor do I want Amtrak to do the same) is to pay for a berth. Meals are normally extra, although you might get a stale croissant if you're lucky. If you pay for one berth in a two-berth cabin, you get a same-*** companion for the night - unless you pay a supplement for solo occupancy.

And travel agents? Rip-off. I book all my holidays/vacations myself and "save" myself the solo supplement. Of course, I pay more on average per person than a couple would, but I save $$$ on the rate that travel agents charge as a supplement, not to mention their commission for doing very little. I'm a big fan of Expedia and the likes.

Incidentally, many smaller (ie non-chain) hotels in the UK charge per person rather than per room.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if a solo sleeping car passenger can demand to be given two meals for breakfast, lunch, etc??

im a hungry guy. i could easily eat 4 egss, two servings of toast, etc.

Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
On several occasions aboard the Lake Shore Limited, I've asked for (and received) extra French Toast, orange juice, salad, and desserts -- and during one trip an entire second dinner. I didn't ask for the extra stuff to make a political statement. I was simply hungry. And the Lake Shore Limited's servers (who definitely walk to a different beat than the rest of Amtrak's rank-and-file) said, "No problem."

On several other trains, however, I've made similar requests, and received a very pleasant, "As long as you're willing to pay for it." When I pointed out that I had, indeed, already paid for it, the servers generally looked at me as if I had three heads.

Since I was dealing with the clueless, and I wasn't in a ranting mood, I didn't press the issue. I guess you have to work on the Lake Shore Limited to understand the concept.

Note to Chucky: Sure, provided you don't snore like my brother does.

EmpireBuilder
Member # 2036

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmpireBuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The main problem is simply that they're trying to apply the laws of economics to a system where it really isn't applicable. Charging seperate for meals is the only way they really could "fix" this.

Dilly said: "But is it fair? I don't think so. When I travel by myself in coach, Amtrak doesn't make me pick up the tab for the empty seat next to mine -- or all the empty rows behind me."

Yes, but no one can use the other bed in your room when you purchase it. Your buying a coach seat does not keep them from selling the seats next to you or behind you to someone else.

Posts: 97 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
True. But as I mentioned in my subsequent post, outside of summer I've rarely traveled in a sleeping car that was completely sold out. During the colder months, I've spent the night in Viewliners where as many as 10 rooms remained empty for the entire New York-Chicago run.

In truth, the unoccupied seat in my room would deprive Amtrak of rail fare revenue only if:

1) a potential passenger phoned the reservations line, went online, or approached the conductor in search of an available room.

and

2) that potential passenger had to be turned away because the car was completely sold out.

Since there are, typically, several empty rooms begging to be purchased, the railroad clearly doesn't lose a single customer (or the rail fare they would have generated) as a result of my traveling solo.

So why-oh-why doth Amtrak persecuteth me so?

I rest my case.

David
Member # 3

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As VIA Rail began phasing in the Renaissance equipment, complaints were being made that passengers who usually travel in roomettes would have to pay for a double room as there are no singles in this equipment. The first train to receive the new sleepers was the "Enterprise" between Toronto and Montreal. VIA sells single occupancy at the price formerly charged for a roomette - a good deal, to be sure. This applies to standard bedrooms, which are similar in size to the double bedrooms which were a staple on US and Canadian railways for decades. (The deluxe bedrooms are ever so slightly larger and have a shower in the toilet annex.)

Two of the three consists on the Montreal - Halifax "Ocean" use Renaissance equipment, but VIA can't be that generous on this longer run. But the single supplement is only 15% over the per person rate for double occupancy. On the third consist, which uses standard Budd-built sleepers, the single supplement for a double room is 50% for the obvious reason that roomettes are available. This is the same policy on all other sleeping car runs.

No offence is intended to Amtrak as I wouldn't tell them what to do, but I offer the above just for the information of anyone interested in travelling solo on a VIA overnight train.

David,
Mississauga, Canada

[This message has been edited by David (edited 09-04-2004).]

Posts: 216 | From: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dfwguy
Member # 3082

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dfwguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to all for the input. If I might just interject again for a moment. Thinking back to the old days of pax rail service. I am left wondering why a Santa Fe (for example) didn't give comp meals with a sleeper purchase. Was it because they ran the numbers and it didn't make sense? If that's the case- why would Amtrak now comp meals if it didn't make sense for the lines to do this years ago..thanks for any additional thoughts.
Posts: 23 | From: dallas, tx USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a reason, pre-Amtrak, that the railroads did not bundle sleeping and dining service:

Prior to 1969, the railroad (particularly its Dining Car and Hotel Department (that's UP name, others had others, including "Fred Harvey")) ran the food service.

The Pullman Company ran the sleeper service.

There might have been a few "bundlings," but they were exceptions, not the rule.

ATSF is also a bad road for this kind of question ... remember that they put their dining operation in the hand of the Fred Harvey Company ... much as most roads put their sleeping operations in the hands of Pullman. (Most other roads had dining either as an integral element of the Passenger Traffic Department or as a separate corporate department.

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PullmaCo,
Are you criticizing the Santa Fe- Fred Harvey
relationsip? This is an arrangement begun in about 1877 that is recognized by most, nearly all, with the civilization of western Railroad dining standards. Historians, not necessarily railroad affectionados, have written extensively about the Fred Harvey meals and service with great praise, and some have said that it was this arrangement
made by Santa Fe that motivated ( some say forced) other railroads to improve their meal service.

I do not attempt to disparrage the dining service on other RR's which by my personal experience were excellent ( Capitol Limited- Panama Limited- California Zephyr- Portland Rose- Colorado Eagle ) to name the most prominent, but only wish to express my concern that the Santa Fe - Fred Harvey relationship may be portrayed as something less than excellent. Many think it was the finest, and it retained that stature until AMTRAK.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. China--

While of course Mr. Pullman should properly speak for himself, I did not detect any criticism of the excellent Santa Fe Dining service , that I had many a pre-Amtrak occasion to enjoy, within the posting.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Merl
Member # 3251

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Merl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dilly, on the Lakeshore having open rooms, I have learned from experience that the conductors will tell you it is sold out when it is not because they don't want to deal with the sale. They will also cram everyone into as few of coaches as possible. I hate the Lakeshore crews with a passion, I think they are the worst on the fleet.
Posts: 88 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
North American Railroader
Member # 3398

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for North American Railroader     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can tell you that it is not true that if a train is late, Amtrak does not make up for your meal. Recently, on a trip on the Sunset, leaving San Antonio, the train was six hours late, causing us to miss breakfast. The conductors let anyone that was travelling on the Sunset walk over to the Eagle that was parked there and get a "free" box breakfast to make up for the lost meal.
Posts: 82 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, no criticism...

The point is: ATSF/Fred Harvey was a DIFFERENT business model for dining and lounge operations than used by most other railroads.

Most railroads used one of two options:
- Dining and lounge operations were out of a "Dining Car Department." This operated at same level as the Passenger Traffic and Freight Traffic Departments.

- Dining and lounge operations were a branch of the Passenger Traffic Department.

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

PS, Mr RRChina...

The chefs of the Union Pacific Dining Car and Hotel Department, IMNSHO, in the late 60s, were the peer if not the better of those of ATSF/Fred Harvey.

Been there, ate their bills of fare.

John

------------------

[This message has been edited by PullmanCo (edited 09-13-2004).]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page