RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Best day to purchase?

Author Topic: Best day to purchase?
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am trying to buy two standard rooms round trip from NOL to NYC via the Crescent. I am somewhat flexible on my times...Need to leave after 12-31 and return around 1-10-05.

I made reservations and FORGOT to call back to pay for them ( duh to me!) and when I called back they were 2-300 more! So I am on hold again.

I feel like I read they dump reservations on a certain day and that is the best day to call.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

It is soooo expensive! Thanks Becki

Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best advice, Ms. Kaz, is become proficient with the web site. You can browse to your heart's content without "tying up' a Res Agent, and having the RA thinking what kind of an "indecisive prima donna' is this.

There appear to be two problems with the website; first there is no 'grace' period that could be needed for perfectly legitimate reasons such as to coordinate with a freind regarding "is that date OK? In short, "you book, you pay". The second problem is if you have an obversion for using credit or bank debit cards; that is the only "tender" that is "legal" at the site.

Lastly, I've learned in the past that 3AM ET is when the system is cleared of any expired reservations.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 09-07-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Judy
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grandma Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And actually a 3rd problem - you don't know which room you would be booking.
Posts: 122 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great point, Grandma Judy! Why can't the Amtrak website allow you to select which room you want to book? All airlines that I am familiar with (of those that allow advance seat selection) let you do that as part of the online process. My own experience with Amtrak has been that you book online, then have to call a "real person" to find out what the computer gave you. You might get an agent who is happy to change things or you might get one who tells you "to take what you got and be happy with it" as I experienced on my last booking. Are you listening Mr. Gunn? The inconsistencies online, in person at the stations, on the phone, and on board the trains are a really good example of what needs to change at Amtrak before people start to take it seriously. Other "players" in the game, e.g., hotels, rent-a-car companies, airlines, have come a long way in getting their acts together. Amtrak needs to do the same.

Frank in SBA. (Stepping off my soap box.)

Stepping back on that box, does Mr. Gunn have an e-mail address? I'd like to forward this to him.

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make that "are really good examples". I don't want the grammar police to nail me on this board. Is it true that you can't use the word *** in a post?

Frank in SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that's amazing! Can you use perro?

Frank in SBA

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Puedo dormir bien esta noche.

Paco en SBA.

Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Frank, d-o-g is the only naughty word here, ***goneit.

Now, if you want a specific room, just call the 800 number. But I'll agree it would be nice to be able to request a specific room on-line, but that may require a little extra computing power that Amtrak doesn't need to spend money on right now. Better to spend it on refurbishing cars and getting them back into service. But I would like to see the ability to request a lower level room on-line. You can select a lower level coach seat, why not a room?

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 09-08-2004).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
As I said, my experience changing the room assigned by the computer has been uneven at best. The first time (Emeryville-Denver) there was no problem. SEA/CHI this Spring there was no problem since we were given an acceptable room. When I called about getting the two standards we've booked on the Crescent changed so they would be across the aisle I was told that that could not be done. The agent said that "even if accomodations were available at YOUR FARE LEVEL changes are NEVER made once the computer makes an assignment". I probably should have called back later to get another agent. I was also interested that I was being told that certain rooms are assigned to specific fare levels. Is this true?

Frank in HOT SBA.

City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just called Amtrak regarding Dilly's advice on another thread about having an upper level sleeper on the Sunset Limited. The agent said I have been assigned Room 12; she was willing to check about a change and said that was the only room she had at that price. I try again another time with another agent. I have had that room assigned to me every single trip I have taken this year, though in actual fact it has not always turned out that way. The good news is the SL has been arriving in LAX earlier lately. Six or even eight hours late is OK with me.
Looking forward to it.....
John Andrew

Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When we took Crescent back from NY ( in March) we were in 2 seperate cars...
That worried me as we did not want kids alone a car over ( so we were planning to go one of us with each kid).
We got down to the platform to embark and asked the man taking our tickets ( with the passenger manifest) if we could anyway get rooms across so we could all travel together. He was soooo nice and said that there was a single man ( meaning traveling alone) traveling across from us and we could switch with him and he would explain to the single man. So we waited in case we had to move, but the car attendant said all was fine...
Excellent service on the Crescent as usual...

Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page