RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » October 3 starting vacation - need advice

Author Topic: October 3 starting vacation - need advice
Edith
Member # 3100

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good morning nice people. Need some advice on an upcoming vacation trip. I have travelled AmTrak before so I know what I'm getting into.

I leave JAX on Oct 3 to arrive in NOL to connect with #58 to Chicago. Because of the scheduled times I will have to have lunch someplace in New Orleans.

I am walking impaired so cannot explore around. Is there a restaurant in or very near the station that a single elderly lady would feel comfortable at? One where I could take a book and sit quietly and read while I am eating.

The same questions goes for Chicago. I've been in that station although didn't explore any. Is there any eating establishment in the station there?

I am retiring the end of this month and going to California for a much needed vacation. Any help you can give me would be much appreciated.

Edith

Posts: 19 | From: jax, fl, usa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I don't think the New Orleans' convention and tourism agency will appreciate my answer, as far as I'm concerned, just "sit it out' in the Depot.

If traveling Sleeper, which I hope you are, there is a nicely decorated First Class waiting room at the Depot, although hardly "gourmet" there is some kind of restaurant there.

Amtrak NOL Station Services personnel are exceptionally helpful - I mean it!!!

Even though I have made the 1-NOL-58 connection twice in as many years without incident, I must advise that #1, Sunset, timekeeping is very unreliable. There is even some possibility (note my avoidance of the word remote) that it will be annulled in its entirety and you will be on your way to New Orleans in a bus. There is even the possibility, despite the almost 4 hour connection time at New Orleans, that there will be a misconnect, i.e. #58 will leave before #1 arrives. If that be the case, be prepared to be "bussed" Mobile to Jackson.

I'm sorry to be so negative, but since you shared with the Forum that you are mobility impaired, I believe you should be aware of what I have set forth.

But do enjoy, dear, as you surely have earned it in this life.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the Chicago station there is an upstairs food court. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT be sucked into the the place that has the asians yelling "good food here" (some sort of a chicken plate place).

Do eat at the sandwich shop that is similar to a subway. I don't remember the name, but it is a corner location and has very good subs!

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edith
Member # 3100

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, gentlemen, that is exactly the information I needed. I am travel deluxe so I do have access to the lounges. And I am aware of the Sunset's "problems" Hopefully it won't happen on my watch. But it is planned for.
Posts: 19 | From: jax, fl, usa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New Orleans has (or had last time I was there, May last year) a Subway and a gift/snack shop. I'm trying to remember whether there was another outlet in the eating area or whether Subway was on its own. In any case, there's nowhere else in the immediate vicinity to eat, although the French Quarter is only a short taxi ride away.

Many more options in Chicago, albeit mostly chain "restaraunts" selling mainly reheated processed food (mall food court type of food). I'm not sure which place Mike mentioned but I didn't have any problems with the Cajun place.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Edith:

According to some other discussion, the Illinois Central tracks between New Orleans and Chicago, at least in some parts, can give you a pretty rough ride, so you may need to be careful to plan the timing of your moving around. At least usually a train gives you plenty of things to hold on to. Also on the superliners, will you be able to negotiate the steps between levels OK? I ask this because you say you are "walking impaired." I know that can mean many things, and I am not trying to meddle if you would rather not discuss it, but this is of concern, not nosiness, as I have had several family members with various levels mobility problems over the years. And, if you are just retired YOU AIN'T REALLY ELDERLY YET! Otherwise, a lot of us out here will have to claim either being there or fast approaching it.

If you were to end up getting bussed from Mobile to Jackson MS, that is not too bad. probably about 3.5 to 4 hours, mostly on fairly good roads. (US 98 then US 49 most likely route.)

George

[This message has been edited by George Harris (edited 09-14-2004).]

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edith
Member # 3100

Rate Member
My mobility problem is arthritis that can at times make it very painful to move. All of my accomodations are on the top level so the only stairs I need to navigate are the entrance ones. And I usually can get some nice lady or gentleman to hold my hand as support while I do those. As long as I can walk slow I'm ok. And I'm 69, white haired and still enthusiastic about life. I've worked in a community college for the last 30 odd years and the young people keep me young.

Busing is not appreciated but I've done it before.

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Edith - chances are much beter of making a westbound connection in NOL from #1 than an eastbound connection from #2, so you SHOULD be OK. As has been mentioned, there isn't much in the New Orleans station as far as food goes, but Chicago has an extensive food court on the 2nd level -- mostly (but not all) fast food chain places. And the cajun place where the Asians yell "good food here!!" isn't THAT bad......

Have a good trip!!

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edith
Member # 3100

Rate Member
I'll keep notes and report back the end of October. Probably won't have access to this board while I will be gone. My sister and I plan on hitting the back roads of Oregon and Washington. Someplaces we plan on going don't even have tv or phones. Really back in the mountains.
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mikesmith is correct when he said that there is a food court on the second level at Union Station. I am also inclined to agree about the Chinese Place.

However, if you have a few bucks to toss around, I might suggest the restaurant located near the great hall with the black and white tile floor (if memory serves me correct). The make a heluva good sandwich there and the place has real atmosphere.

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chucky, I've been to that restaurant by the Great Hall. They do have good food there, but the deli/sandwich shop upstairs at the food court is better. (sort of a cross between a Quisnos and Subway, except better, with made on-site bread.)

And the Cajon place is not cajon. The food is passable, but I would not consider it "good". Perhaps I should have stated that it is "food", instead of "RUN AWAY... FAST!!!!"

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the restaurant Mr. (Chucky) Ruben has in mind is, as you are walking from (Amtrakese term) The Great Hall towards the trains, on your left, that facility was "once upon a time' the Fred Harvey lunch room for the common folk.

The facility in which Amtrak presently has the Met Lounge (SW corner of Great Hall) was the Gold Lion Restaurant, also operated by Harvey. That is where the folk arriving on the Broadway but hadn't yet made the Parmelee transfer over to Dearbron for the Super, would have their lunch.

I got to see Gold Lion a time or two myself; be assured the boss was paying.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 09-16-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chucky:
I might suggest the restaurant located near the great hall with the black and white tile floor (if memory serves me correct). The make a heluva good sandwich there and the place has real atmosphere.

The last time I was there, the restaurant-in-question (my favorite eating establishment in the entire station) was called the Metro Cafe. It's not fancy, but is usually very peaceful. And as mentioned above, it's highly atmospheric, with slowly twirling ceiling fans and lots of railroad memorabilia hanging on the walls.

On the Dilly Scale of Excellence, the place definitely rates 5 stars.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Mr. Norman,

The name's "Reuben," not what you said --- A common mistake, to be sure. My dear old dad used to say, "It's Reuben, like the sandwich."

Oh yes, I would like to invite you, and anybody else reading these words, to visit my new web page (and sign the guestbook) at the following address:
http://www.freewebs.com/chucksville/

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have never been to NOL, then try to take the short ride to the French Quarter. And be sure to go to Cafe DuMond..it has the best Bengeits (sp)!
There are always cabs at the station in NOL too...but don't arrange for them to come get you when you are done..they wont !

Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouthernServesTheSouth
Member # 2284

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for SouthernServesTheSouth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dilly, I had wondered where to get a good lunch while waiting for the EB. Your recommendation of the Metro Cafe will be put to the test in May. It sounds like my kind of place.

Posts: 68 | From: Lynchburg, Virginia USA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Edith: You may want to call Amtrak the night before your departure from Florida and ask whether train #1 will be running the next day from Florida. (If it is real late coming east, it will be stopped in New Orleans thus required a bus on your westbound date). In that event, explain your situation to Amtrak and ask if they would route you to Chicago via Washington, DC. It sure beats an overnight bus ride. I also would monitor this board or contact Amtrak in coming days to see whether the Sunset is able to run thru to Florida as the areas near the railway's route thru Mobile and Pensacola were badly flooded during hurricane Ivan. I wouldn't be surprised if this damage affects rail service for a few weeks. If you are reouted via Washington, insist on not paying more or paying a change penalty as this is not your fault.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Adams
Member # 1177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Adams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Retired also and have passed through Chicago by train several times and never missed the chance to have breakfast or lunch at the famous Lou Mitchell's, just one block west of Union Station at 565 W. Jackson. It's open till 3pm every day and is arguably the best spot in the city for breakfast. See www.planet99.com/chicago/restaurants
Posts: 33 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by George Harris:
According to some other discussion, the Illinois Central tracks between New Orleans and Chicago, at least in some parts, can give you a pretty rough ride, so you may need to be careful to plan the timing of your moving around.

I, too, am working from second hand information here, but I read on another board that the area in question is within Louisiana and is known as the Wazee district, or something like that. The person who told me the name says it is often jokingly referred to as the "Yahoo!" due to the ride quality.

We also have some problem track in my neighborhood as well. When my 84 year young mother came down on the Starlight last June I advised her to stay in her seat south of San Jose, and have her attendant bring her lunch to her. She took my advice, and the attendant was more than happy to serve her in her room.

------------------
Sing to the tune of Humoresque:
Passengers will please refrain,
From flushing toilets while the train,
Is standing in the station,
I love you.

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 09-17-2004).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Toy, I think you mean the Yazoo district. I travelled on it last May from New Orleans to Jackson and back and the ride was no worse than anywhere else in the country.

However, southern Illinois / northern Kentucky (during the night) was VERY bumpy. Got woken up a couple of times during the night when head met armrest. This was about 2 years ago so they might have improved the track since then.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
As of today, the Met Lounge is back in its regular spot.

For what it be worth, it still looks like the "Black Hole of Calcutta". The lighting is simply too dim and there is such continual commotion in the place, It would be difficult for me to concentrate on anything in there.

I always am traveling Sleeper to/from CUS; but I'll just sit out in the Great Hall where there is plenty of light and the commotion more subdued. I know when my train is to leave, and I think I still remember how to "tell time".

dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
As of today, the Met Lounge is back in its regular spot. For what it be worth, it still looks like the "Black Hole of Calcutta".

Thanks for the early review. I suspect I'll be steering clear of the "new" lounge, just as I avoided the "old."

I'm always mystified as to why so few passengers sit in the far superior (and infinitely quieter and more atmospheric) Great Hall. Several members of this board have mentioned the long walk from there to the train platforms. But unless you're elderly, have a broken leg, or are spectacularly lazy, it's not much of a walk at all.

If you're ever in Chicago Union Station, ladies and gentlemen, give the Great Hall a try. You'll like it.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Dilly:
When I was there in May, all the seats in the Great Hall had been removed. I didn't feel like sitting on the floor or on one of the sets of stairs.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
If the Great Hall has been rented out, the seats are gone. Otherwise, absent an upcoming or just completed booking, they are in place.
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few observations:
1. The Sunset route east of New Orleans is expected to be out of service for at least another 1 to 2 weeks. http://www.csx.com/?fuseaction=company.news_detail&i=46472&news_year=-1
If Edith is looking at this posting again, I again suggest asking Amtrak to reroute her via Washington as the I-10 bridge at Pensacola is closed for another 2-3 weeks which would deter an Ambus from getting through also.
2. The Yazoo District is the proper name. When we rode in June, the ride was just as good as anywhere on our trip. We slept through the night and woke at about 7:00am in Illinois.
3. On that trip, there were many benches still in place in the Great Hall. The temporary Met Lounge actually was an improvement over the normal one.

Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kdickers
Member # 3425

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kdickers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gilbert . . . thanks for the heads up about the "Great Hall" . . . since I'll be there Sat and Tues I'll sure have to check it out!!

Is the Metro Lounge really that bad???

Posts: 10 | From: Bruin, KY | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Gilbert B Norman;
That explains it.
There was a small stage set up on the left side of the hall as I walked into it from the Metro lounge (before it was moved).

Also, does anyone know if the lounge has WiFi now?

[This message has been edited by mikesmith (edited 09-24-2004).]

Edith
Member # 3100

Rate Member
I haved rebooked my vacation travel. I'm now going from Jax on #92 to DC, then on to Chicago on Train #29. Hopefully this latest hurricane won't wreck those plans. Thanks for all the help and advice I've gotten here.
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll find that Washington Union Station has a wide variety of places to eat lunch...assuming that #92 is reasonably near on-time. There is a huge food court (and a movie theatre) downstairs. There are a couple of sit-down restaurants where you will be waited on in the main hall area. The Metropolitan Lounge in DC is also much less chaotic than in Chicago.

Hope you have a wonderful trip.

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We were in Washington Union Station on Sunday, 09/19/04 before taking the Crescent to NOL. The Club Acela was very easy to find coming up from the Metro and was practically vacant. The only downside was that lots of Amtrak employees and station security kept coming in and out to watch the football game that was on. They kept turning the volume up so they could hear it at the front desk.

We met an old Peace Corps friend for lunch and had a very nice one at the restaurant/bar right in the center of the main hall. We ate on the raised part and had a great view of the comings and goings. They make a very good Bloody Mary and the salads we all had were good as well. There are also plenty of fast food places on the lower level and an outlet of Au Bon Pain (Sp?) on the upper level for sandwiches, etc. for the road.

One word of caution, most of the shops close at 6PM on Sunday. I assume they are open later during the week. B. Dalton was open and I bought a great photo history of Washington Union Station.

The Crescent trip report will be posted soon.

Frank in Sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correct on Yazoo, that is for YazooCity, Mississippi, which is for the Yazoo River. I would suspect that the I-10 bridge across Escambia Bay (east of Pensacola) will be out of service for more like 2 to 3 MONTHS, if not longer. Several spans on both sides of the high level portion for the boat channel are missing, and a number of others are shifted out of place. An awesome testimony to the power of water. And this bridge is several miles from the coast over what is normally very quiet water. Traffic is currently detoured over US-90 which suffered some damage, but not so much since it goes areound the north side of the bay.

Do not know the extent or location of the railroad damage. Their Escambia Bay bridge appears to have made it unscathed because it is both higher and much heavier. However, the track follows the west shore of the bay in approach to this bridge, and there is (or is that was) a low wood trestle about 1/2 miel east of the Amtrak station that may have been hit. Anyone in the area have specific information?

My personal opioion is that the barrier islands should be declared un-buildable for "permanent" structures.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page