RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » When did hostesses in the club car end on Amtrak

Author Topic: When did hostesses in the club car end on Amtrak
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When did hostesses in the club car program end on Amtrak?

------------------

Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uhhhh...

When did it begin?

I've travelled Amtrak since 1972. I remember waiters and stewards in the dining car...

I remember a lounge car attendant in flat-tops, domes, and Superliner lounges.

But the only time I've heard of lounge hostesses was back in the 1950s, well before the end of the investor owned railroads running passenger trains!

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only time I remember a hostess was on my first Amtrak trip in June '74 on the Starlight. The only thing I remember about her was that she wore a nice uniform and ran a video movie (American Graffiti - on reel to reel video tape!) in the lounge car.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Northern Pacific employed Stewardess-Nurses and assigned such to the North Coast. All were employed by the NP and I think they were Non-Agreement.

The Western Pacific employed "Zephyrette" hostesses for the Calfornia Zephyr. WP employed all; this position I KNOW was Non-Agreement.

The B&O also had Stewardess-Nurses on the Columbian. Covered by Agreement, I know not.

The Atlantic Coast Line had hostesses in the Recreation Car of the Florida Special.

New York Centrak had a Train Secretary aboard the Century until long about when I had my first ride during 1961.

For these positions above, males need not apply.

Great Northern and Santa Fe had male Passenger Representatives on various trains. I think it was a rotation as part of Management Trainee programs on each road.

Amtrak employed male and female Non-Agreement Passenger Service Representatives during the 70's. Looking at photos of the uniforms...did people actually dress like THAT.

There are others that may come to mind later.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 10-10-2004).]

Posts: 9979 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I fell in love with a hostess named Theresa(Amtrak) on a Silver Meteor in 1973 and we were engaged later and she ran the club car, kid's games, bingo and a fashion show. She looked great in her Amtrak uniform. When she was let-go by Amtrak (when they ended their hostess program) she then got a job with Delta Airlines as a flight attendant. I miss those hostesses and her especially.
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiebreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really miss the Chief of Onboard Service positions. An annual coast to coast Amtrak travelor for many year, I noticed a real decline in passenger service when the Chief positions were eliminated.

Crew members claimed they didn't need the Chiefs, that it was an unnecessary function, but time has proved otherwise. There is now a definite lack of organization and protocol.

Posts: 133 | From: Florida, U.S.A. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a shame that Amtrak killed the terrific hostess program on the east coast runs to Florida from New York! They were all very nice, elegant girls!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page