RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Boston Sleepers

Author Topic: Boston Sleepers
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I checked some previous postings on this board regarding sleeper service out of Boston, and I was curious if there is any new information. There was some comment that the Federal would have its sleeper restored by October 25th of this year and yet Amtrak.com still shows an all-coach overnight train to Washington on or after that date. It also indicated there is sleeper space on 448 Chicago to Boston on the 29th of October/04, but on the 30th or later it shows a change of trains in Albany with no sleeping car on that "stub train." This is an unfortunate downgrading of service for such an important city, I fail to see how Amtrak can justify this.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Upcoming timetable effective November 1st has the Lake Shore Limited losing its Boston Viewliner Sleeper. Plus, the train will operate as a stub only train between Albany and Boston (across the platform change at Albany).

As for the Federal, the name, and its Viewliners, aren't going to be returning any time soon.

As someone else had mentioned, I was hoping Amtrak might implement a "run-through" between the Boston Viewliner of the Lake Shore and the Federal (i.e. same day inbound Boston Lake Shore Viewliner being the outbound Viewliner on the Federal). No such thinking - instead no sleepers to Boston any more. Too bad!

I don't think too highly of Amtrak's utilization of its Viewliners.

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>Amtrak's utilization of its Viewliners.

Unfortunately, I have not seen any information on the real utilization rate of the sleepers. It really depends on the overall occupancy rate and if Amtrak can project more revenue by moving a sleeper to another train, then by all means they should do it. Other than bemoaning loss of an asset which would benefit one personally, we cannot judge whether it is a good or bad business decision in a vacuum.

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LateShoreLimited
Member # 2025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LateShoreLimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of the reason is that the Viewliner sleepers are prone to freezing during the winter. Last winter the sleeper was scheduled to be on but actually ran very infrequently due to the damage caused by low temps.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm somewhat astounded at the discontinuance tomorow of through BOS-CHI Coach and Sleeper service.

From my trip last week on #49(25), I would guess 449 from BOS arrived ALB with as many "faces in the windows, fannies in the seats" as did 49 from NYP. I recall several parties boarding the NY sleepers @ ALB account no space in the Boston line.

I realize that Amtrak has an obversion to doing what railroads routinely did even in the "bad old days" - switch cars in and out of consists, but at some point in time someone at 60 Mass must recognize that a passenger railroad should be run for the convenience of its passengers, and not its operating department.

Also effective tomorrow, note that Dining service is only offered West of Albany. On my ast trip, I noted they had a seating between NYP-and ALB; now when are those folk i.e. Sleeper passengers originating at ether Penn or Harmon, going to eat?

Possibly the Diner is going to be assigned to crews based in Chicago who will go off duty at Albany. If that be the case, it may not be the "end of the world", as the NY based crews assigned to the Lake Shore have long been noted as being "law unto themselves". I've never been known as a slow eater in this life, but this was the first I have EVER been "run out of" a railroad Dining Car anywhere in the world.

My recent trip certainly bore that out.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for NYP and Harmon sleeping car passengers, I guess they will have to wait until the 6:00 pm Albany departure. Which brings up another point, why are the arrival and departure times the same for 49 and 449 when it is no longer necessary to switch any equipment? A few years ago when 49 was running a few hours earlier, I received both lunch and dinner on the train, but again that which pleases the passenger seems to make no impression on Amtrak's operating department.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Viewliners are only prone to freezing up when they are not maintained properly. In addition to regular maintenance, they need to be properly serviced at their end points after finishing a run. Some of the problems from last winter were due to mishaps in Sunnyside Yard and Chicago Yard where crews didn't "tie-up" the equipment properly for the layover. The last statement was repeated by MANY sleeping car attendants I came in contact with in my travels last winter/early spring.
Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page