RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Web Reservation Problem

Author Topic: Web Reservation Problem
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone else had problems using the Amtrak website to try to make reservations or check fares? I keep getting error messages like "Choose a valid itinerary" (After I've done so.)

I never had this problem with the old website.

Frank in rainy SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nasscarr1720
Member # 2060

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nasscarr1720     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi
Yes I had the same problem when trying to check fares from Milwaukee to St Louis. I would enter all the information and then it would say invalided entry. Also maybe it is just me but you have to go through a few more hoops to find out what you want to. It may just take getting used to it so I will give them some time to work out the bugs.

Bill

Posts: 41 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank,

I had the same problem in trying to find out how to get from Boston to Montreal. Technically, one can do that route, but it isn't easy and the Amtrak computer doesn't seem to be up to the task, so the system just gives out a "can't get there from here" message.

Tom
In happy Red Sox Nation!

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried again after lunch and this time I was successful but only after "Logging In" which I've rarely done when just curious about a fare.

Frank in wet, windy SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One problem I have always had is that the AMTRAK web site only allows you to input 4 legs of a multi-train trip, and that is NEVER enough for the types of trips I take, even if I have the first leg "Winter Park-New York-Chicago," the second leg "Chicago-New Orleans-Los Angeles," or whatever, there are just NEVER enough "legs" for me to reserve my entire trip on line, so I always end up either calling the 1-800 number or making reservations at the local AMTRAK station.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When Amtrak updated to their new website, I could no longer make reservations nor get pricing period...I use WebTV, so I guess thats what I get anyway, huh?

Now I have to use the public computer and the library.

:-(

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting observation, Mr. Black

For a BOS-67-NYP-69-MTR itinerary, in which the 6 some hour connection at NYP should be "safe", I find you cannot have that itinerary returned to you when requested (BOS-MTR 10PM) as a single trip. However, if you go to the multi city screen, and enter same, it will be returned.

I think they simply have some "bugs" still to address. For a trip last month, i had no difficulty booking Chicago-Stamford and return using the single trip screen. Likewise, the single traip screen will return some of the "connect the dots" itineraries out there, such as Chicago to Atlanta, where a CHI-30-WAS-19-ATL and (would you believe it?) a CHI-21-SAS-2-NOL-20-ATL are both offered.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 11-10-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I simply can't use the new Amtrak Web site. It tells me "cookies must be enabled" and then it tells me "do not use browser buttons for navigation". Since I haven't changed my cookie settings in IE, and since I wasn't using my browser navigation buttons, I'm at a loss. I went back and forth with Amtrak's IT people about it, and they can't figure it out either. I recently added some anti-spyware software to my computer, and I suspect that may be the cause, since I can access Amtrak's web site from other computers on our office network. However, I have no trouble using airline Web sites.

Hopefully, they'll fix the problems.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They don't seem to have made much progress in resolving the problems. I just tried to make a reservation SEA/PDX and kept getting error messages. This also happened this afternoon when I tried to check the Train Status of the new S/B Surfliner from SLO.

I sent an e-mail to them. It will be interesting to see if I get a reply.

Frank in SBA

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still no change and no response except an e-mail promising an answer within 24 hours. I get to the point of actually buying a ticket and get this message: "Sorry for the inconvenience. Currently there is a system error preventing your request from being processed." (This is displayed in red, three times, with warning thunderbolts!) I wonder how much revenue has been lost. I also wonder if anyone will be held accountable.

I'll give it one more try tomorrow and then call 1-800-USA-RAIL. Or go down to the depot and deal with a "real" person.

Frank in dark SBA

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I tried, yet again, late this afternoon (11/20) I got a message saying the site was "closed for maintenance, try again later". That got my hopes up that they had realized there was a problem. I tried again "later" and the system still won't let you go to the last step of buying a ticket.

Can you say lost revenue?

Frank in SBA

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got this message tonight from "Susan" (perhaps Julie's sister?):

Currently our website is not compatible with any version of Internet Explorer for Mac operating system. Our webmaster has been looking into this matter and has not determined the exact issue. However the webmaster has informed us that our site does work with the Safari web browser for Mac. (You need System X or higher for this.) If you implement Safari and you still are not able to book on our website please contact us directly at 800-872-7245 select "O" and ask to speak to Internet Support and we will assist you with booking the reservation. Please note if you are looking to book the H431 promotional discount, this discount is not valid on the Cascade trains that operate between Portland and Seattle. (I already knew that.)

We do apologize and hope to have the Internet Explorer/Mac issue fixed soon.

Again, did they happen to consider the lost revenue before they went with the "new, improved" website?

Frank in SBA

Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forget it! This past week we went on a great Holland America cruise of the MS Zaandam to the British Virgin and US Virgin Islands! Beats any train ride I must admit after being a rail fan for 63 years! The food was great, people nicer than on an Amtrak run and sights were spectacular.

------------------

Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mcdoniel
Member # 1300

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mcdoniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonder if IT personnel will ever understand that if it is NOT broke don't try to fix it.
Posts: 10 | From: Garden Grove CA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page