RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » "Roomette"

Author Topic: "Roomette"
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was on the Amtrak web site pricing a trip for December, just noticed they are now calling the standard rooms on the Superliners and Viewliners...

Roomette's

A term now a bit more appropriate for their size?

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Discussed a couple weeks ago! See http://www.railforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/002597.html

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A far more appropriate term.

The size is quite OK for the single traveler, i.e. me, unless one is the "elitist's elitist". Hopefully the rebranding will make a party of two adults "think twice" and choose to go with the (now) Bedroom. Further, the Roomette, even though it does have two beds, is suitable only for such as an adult and small child, two adolescents if their family has a (now) Bedroom elsewhere, or two adults who have been patently made aware that they will be "roughing it", i.e. sharing a pup tent with the companion.

I can't make a trip to Florida, be it aboard the Auto Train or Star without picking up on the conversation from folk who could well afford any accomodation offered, that they got "stuck" in this (now) Roomette "dollhouse" by an Amtrak reservationist saying "it will be fine".

BULL-oney

I welcome this "truth in advertising" change.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 10-29-2004).]

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I concur completely, Mr. Norman, especially with the part about hearing conversations to that effect. However, I more frequently hear that the couple accepted the now-roomette because the reservationist said nothing about any other sleeping accomodations.
Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our family has always called standard bedrooms "roomettes".

We thought it was a better name for the room.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geoffm:
Discussed a couple weeks ago! See http://www.railforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/002597.html

Geoff M.

-------------------------
SORRY! :-(

I did not read that far back and was unaware this topic had already been covered. Accept my apologizes...

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vicki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband and I (not small people by any means) had no problems with the Standard Bedroom last year on our trip from Chicago to NYC and back. I had read about the gymnastics involved in accessing the upper berth but found it to be easy, even for a fluffy middle-aged woman such as myself.
Posts: 149 | From: Joliet, IL USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It wasn't *that* far down! No problem, just thought you might wonder why not many people were replying.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vicki, welcome to the board. Your post shows that it's a matter of personal preference, not a rule, that at Roomette is best suited for one, not two. For us, the space is two seats and two beds for two people.

------------------
Decisions are made by those who show up. VOTE on Nov 2!
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vicki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Toy,
Thanks for the welcome. I've been a lurker on this board for a couple of years now and the information and opinions have been quite helpful. Next trip is Chicago to Seattle R/T in June.

Posts: 149 | From: Joliet, IL USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page