RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Anybody remeber when the lAST steam pulled passenger train occurred in the U. S.?

Author Topic: Anybody remeber when the lAST steam pulled passenger train occurred in the U. S.?
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anybody remember when the last steam pulled passenger train ran on a regular system route in the United States? I rode the last steam pulled passenger train to Portland, Maine from Boston in 1957 on the Boston and Maine Railroad and have it on 8mm film.

------------------

Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that honor goes to commuter service operated between Detroit and Durand, MI by the Grand Trunk Western. I believe that lasted until 1958, maybe 59.

If I have occasion to "get out the TRAINS" I'll edit this posting.

As a kid enroute to camp on Lake Winnepasaukee NH, I can recall observing steam powered commuter trains at Lowell, MA circa 1952-55, but I really would like to confirm that 1957 date for a regularly scheduled steam train on the B&M. That was well into the McGinnis regime, and Pat's idea of passenger trains were either Budd RDC's or Talgos.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 11-05-2004).]

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The UP 8444 was used on the City San Francisco on April 30,1971 then on rare occasion to on the point of that train in the early 1970 to ferry the engine from Cheyenne to Denver.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that the Great Northern had a steam train still running over the Cascade Mts up until around 1960, but I'm not sure.
In Canada, CN train #76 ran a route from Pas to Winipeg up until the spring of 1960. I believe this was steam locomotive CN 6043.

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possibly the best answer to this question is what was the last railroad to operate a FLEET of steam powered passenger trains.

The answer is the Norfolk and Western.

On Jan 1 1958, the only diesel powered passenger trains over the N&W were through SRY trains such as The Tenneseean, the local trains such as the Pohawtan Arrow and the Pocohantas were steam powered. The best example of N&W steam was the famous J Class. One of these engines #611 lasted in excursion service until about five years ago, when both NS and CSX said "nuff nuff' to steam excursions.

However, during summer 1958, N&W announced an order of diesel locomotives that, along with the very few already on the property, would be sufficient to "dieselize" the road at then-existing freight & passenger traffic levels. These locomotives, ubiquitous garden variety GP-9's (steam generators on some for passenger service), were delivered during 1959 . Of interest; 1958 was a recession year; bet they "cut such a deal" and in the process got that speedy delivery.

The party was over.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr Pojon--

I have learned privately from a published author familiar with the region the following:

B&M steam operation ended in 1956. The "farewell" Boston-Portland fantrip behind Pacific 3713 (now at Steamtown) ran on April 22, 1956, and the last revenue steam operation was a Boston-Clinton (Mass.) commuter train two weeks later, on May 5, 1956.

chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also on pre Amtrak Day besides the UP 8444 on the City Trains over Sherman Hill both ways between Cheyenne and Laramie, ex Nickel Plate 795 relettered Northfolk and Western led the Pocahontas out of Lynchburg,VA and the Central of Georgia used for Savannah & Alanta 750 on the first leg of the Nancy Hanks II out of Atlanta all on April 30th, 1971.

Chris

[This message has been edited by chrisg (edited 11-06-2004).]

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Norman,

You may be correct but I thought that I rode that B & M steam last fan trip in April, 1957--but, your friend may be correct. I was 15 or 16 years old on that trip and I shot in all on a Yashica 8mm camera my father gave me for my birthday. I had almost 1 hour of footage on that trip from Boston to Portland, ME.

------------------

Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cassrr
Member # 1834

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cassrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last steam powered regular scheduled passenger train may have been January 1985 when Ross Rowland's ex-C&O 614 pulled the Amtrak Cardinal from Huntington to Hinton, WV. Maintained schedule, too!
Posts: 21 | From: Huntington, WV USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
F40PHR231
Member # 1350

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for F40PHR231   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last steam-pulled passenger train was Amtrak, 1977 when SP 4449 went from Alabama to Portland via Sunset Limited and Coast Starlight.

(Yes yes, I know you were thinking of pre-Amtrak days, just some info here

[This message has been edited by F40PHR231 (edited 11-19-2004).]

Posts: 82 | From: Irvine, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Amtrak 4449 trip in 1977 operated as a special train,not on scheduled Amtrak trains.I rode this trip from Tucson to L.A.

[This message has been edited by espeefoamer (edited 11-15-2004).]

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are talking about trains listed in the Official Guide,The Rio Grande narrow gauge service between Durango and Silverton CO.was listed through the 1980 summer season,when the line was sold to an outside operator.So technichlly, the last regularly scheduled steam powered passenger train ran in September,1980.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

[This message has been edited by espeefoamer (edited 11-15-2004).]

[This message has been edited by espeefoamer (edited 11-18-2004).]

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page