RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Memphis?

Author Topic: Memphis?
Capltd29
Member # 3292

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capltd29   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am looking at possible trip to take over spring break. I am thinking of Either Toronto, ON, or Memphis, TN. Do ya'll know of any cool stuff to do in Either city?

JON

Posts: 143 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I know is sports, so if you're going to Memphis you can stop by AutoZone Park(finest Minor league park in the minors) and watch my St. Louis Cardinals AAA team, the Memphis Redbirds, play some ball. However their season begins in mid April.
Also the Grizzles opened up a new arena. I believe FedEx Forum if I can remember back to Friday's Griz/Rockets telecast. So thats probably a very nice arena as well.
I've heard Memphis is mostly about the music so watch out.(I dont know why though)

In Toronto, you've got the Raptors, who are a pretty good team, but thats mostly what I know of them. Also the Blue Jays, who suck, play at one of the last remaining dome and turf stadiums, Skydome, with the Canadian National Tower looming over it. If you're a big baseball fan you can stay in the hotel in Centerfield and watch the live action from you're window. The Maple Leafs may or may not be playing then, as most of you know the NHL is on strike, but Toronto has had a very good team the past 5 years.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't been to Toronto (yet), but I have been to Memphis.

Memphis is famous for: Elvis (Graceland), BBQ, the Blues (music), Beale Street, Greyhound, FedEx, and Civil Rights.

Trainwise, there's the depot, a mix of old and new, the Mississippi river bridges, and a tram system with old cars. About an hour to the east is the Casey Jones museum (car required) - good for a half day out. Somewhere to the south of Memphis is where the Casey Jones wreck occurred.

Graceland is almost unmissable. A bit Disney-esque, but even for non-fans it's impressive.

Great place, well recommended.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to sound negative, but the happiest moment on an August 03 trip was that the City #59 was OT, that within 5 minutes (long enough to thank the Chef standing on the platform for his "special' steak sauce night before) I was in a taxicab (shared with a lady part way who sensed my "negativity") en route to a hotel near the airport and a breakfast with a distant, yet dear, lady friend, and that after she took care of business that AM, we "wuz outta dere" by noon on the way back to CHI by auto.

Try Toronto.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't been there in a while, but I really enjoyed Toronto when I was there, and everyone I know who has been there recently likes it very much too. Among other things, you can take a boat ride on the lake, and go to the Duke of York Pub, and have lots of interesting ethnic food--it's really one of Canada's premier cities, pretty cosmopolitan. Lots of neat underground stuff too.

OTOH, the trains have been rather late to and from there lately, what with the border checks and terrorism alerts and so on, . . . . but this is hardly the only route with late trains, of course!

If you haven't seen Niagara Falls, you may want to see that as well; it isn't that far from Toronto. I've only been to the Canadian side but I think the American side is very built up now and much nicer than it was supposed to be years ago.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You make up your own mind. It depends a lot on your interests. You should find some little travel guide. Try Lonely Planet. Sometimes they editorialize and politic too much for my taste, but their information is usually good, and they don't shill for anybody.

One things not mentioned about Memphis is the Mississippi River.

The River: The reason the city is there in the first place. The Chickasaw Bluffs are high enough to be flood proof and solid enough that the river has not eaten them away. There is a tour boat, the Memphis Queen, that leaves from the foot of the Bluff near downtown that takes you for an hour or so up and down the river ride. Usually they will stop at a sand bar so you can get out on one. Feel free to collect some. It is nice ride.

The River Bridges: The northern bridge, which is by itself was built for Interstate 40 in the 1970's. It took longer to build than any of the older bridges. Six lane highway bridge.

The southern three bridges: These were all built at this location because it was the only assuredly stable point on the river channel anywhere near Memphis.

Northern bridge of the three: The Harahan Bridge, two railroad tracks (still very much in use) with roadways (not in use since 1950) cantilevered out on each side. Built about 1915 by the Arkansas and Memphis Bridge Company, jointly owned by St. Louis Iron Mountain and Southern, the Cotton Belt, and the Rock Island. Owned by Union Pacific. 25 mph speed limit, no weight restriction. This was the second bridge built over the Lower River.

Center bridge of the three: Commonly called the Frisco Bridge, Actual name the Memphis Bridge. A single track bridge, with the deck originally planked level with the top of rails for wagons and horses to use the bridge between trains. Opened in 1892. The first bridge to be constructed across the Lower River and the southernmost bridge across the Mississippi River until the Vicksburg Bridge was opened in 1930. Built by the Kansas City Ft. Scott and Memphis and Kansas City Memphis and Birmingham, (predecessors to the Frisco) but used by all railroads until the Harahan Bridge was opened. Presumably at that time the planking for the wagon road was also removed. Owned by BNSF, 25 mph speed limit, some restrictions on short heavy cars and power draw on the western approach, but no weight restrictions otherwise.

Southern Bridge of the three: The Memphis and Arkansas Bridge, opened 1949, four lane highway bridge, carries all the US highway numbers that cross the river plus I-55.

Comments about a few other things:

Beale Street: a somewhat Disneyfied rebuild of the most famous (infmaous) part of downtown. It was the place for booze and prostitution where the law did little but do body counts for years. Then it fell into disrepair to the point of being burned out hulks. Someone decided to rebuild it and turn into a tourist attraction. A lot of people felt that it would improve the air in the city if it were buldozed flat and something else entirely put there. Unless drunkeness is your hobby, go early in the evening. Be careful where you park if you want to have a car when you decide to leave.

Casey Jones: His point of origin was not the current station built about 1916, but the old ICRR station at about where the Pyramid is. His wreck was about 160 miles south at Vaughan, Mississippi. The Museum and home are in Jackson, Tennessee, which was his home town. It is in a Casey Jones Village just south of the US 45 exit (NOT the 45 bypass) in Jackson. The Old Country Store restaurant there is a nice buffet southern style lunch.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you try Memphis you might want to check out the Mud Island Park.....it's easily reached by taking the streetcar (yes, the streetcar!) from outside the Memphis Amtrak Station, a nicely refurbished Illinois Central building. (20 years ago I would not have reccomended being anywhere near the Memphis Station after dark.)

But I digress......Mud Island is a park about 200 yards offshore from downtown. It has a museum and a few other things to look at. You've got Beale Street and some riverboat excursions.....also just off the streetcar loop. The minor league ballpark is also just off the streetcar line as is the Orpheum Theatre, the Convention Center, and the symphony hall. You could find enough to spend a couple or three days in the area...and it would certainly be a warmer 'spring break' destination.

Of course during spring break earlier this year I spent a day watching a blizard unfold from a dome car on VIA's Canadian.....so I might be a little biased against trying Canada before the middle of May!

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken V
Member # 1466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken V     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in Toronto and I've never visited Memphis so I may be a little biased.

First the downside for Toronto - the weather. In March, temperatures generally vary anywhere from the mid 20's to low 50's (although I remember a sunny weekend about five years ago when the temps were in the 70's). March is also generally wet and there's always the chance of a major snow storm. The other big complaint from both residents and tourists is the large presence of panhandlers and homeless persons on the sidewalks downtown.

On the upside, Toronto is an exciting city, rewnowned for its cultural diversity. It is also a safe city. Public transit is very good with a large network of buses, streetcars, subways, and an LRT. And there's plenty of things to do.

For the railfan, on weekdays, Union Station hosts up to 36 VIAs, Amtrak's Maple Leaf, and countless GO commuter trains. Also, Canada's busiest freight mainline (at around 60 trains a day) is a 35 minute GO train ride east of downtown. Other things to do (in addition to those previously mentioned - sporting events, CN Tower) include shopping, several museums, live theatre, the Toronto Zoo, the Ontario Science Centre, and lots more.

All things considered, I'd choose Memphis in March and Toronto in August.

Posts: 149 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear KEN V,

I agree with you! I am an American (Brooklyn, NY boy) who lived in Toronto 4 seperate times, worked in Toronto, owned a marine business in Port Perry, etc., etc. and I have been to many big cities around the world. Toronto is, aside from NY, the greatest, most interesting, most cosmopolitan, most pleasant and satisfying with some of the nicest looking girls and good food in the world! I mean it! Alsoi, Niagara Falls is only 2 hours by train or bus or car from Toronto--good for a side trip.
Don't miss both. Watch out for winter, though, it's harsh--like all the Great Lakes cities (Chicago, Cleveland). Summer, fall are the best for visits.

------------------

Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Memphis in march is not exactly great weatherwise either. Generally the temperature is somewhere in the 30F to 50F range, cloudy, damp, and windy. Walking on the riverfront can be a miserable experiece when the wind is out of the west, as it has a hundred miles of very flat eastern Arkansas to pick up speed over. Don't know why I forgot Mud Island. Amongst other things, it has a layout of the lower river that runs the length of the park, so you can walk from southern Illinois to the Gulf. Mud Island closes fairly early in the wintertime.

If you are into that sort of thing, Elmwood Cemetary can be an interesting visit. It has all the east west railroads through the city together on its northern border. When it opened it was on the outside edge of town, about 1840, do not remember exaclty. It was the burial ground for everybody from the rich and famous (or infamous) on down for years. Some interesting monuments. Also has a large Confederate section, many with small stones having only numbers. There is a Chinese section. The oldest stones have the names in chinese characters only, some have both but the more recent are usually Roman alphabet only. It is in what is today a pretty bad part of town and closes bafore dark.

Tell us what your interests are.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page