RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Editorial: Put Tommy at Transportation Department

Author Topic: Editorial: Put Tommy at Transportation Department
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm inclined to agree with this editorial: http://www.madison.com/tct/opinion/index.php?ntid=15901&ntpid=0 It's what Bush should have done four years ago.

------------------
A sitting duck is lying down.
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, me too -- I believe Thompson would be a very good Secretary of Transportation! And he appears to be "pro-AMTRAK."
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for M190     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tommy Thompson as Sec Trans?!!! Oh hail yea!! Ever seen a grown man dance a jig? :-D
Posts: 106 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HHS is a "might bit" higher on the "pecking order" of Cabinet chairs.

As I noted before, the only one with any transportation experience to sit has been Alan S Boyd during LBJ years. To often the chair has simply been a reward (Pena' was important in Clinton carrying Colorado during '92; so look what HE got). "W" used the chair as a "statement of bipartisanship" with the appointment of the incumbent, Mr. Minetta.

If TGT is to "step down", it will be either to seek elected office or to become a lobbyist and "rake the $$$ in". I will be quite surprised if the outcome is any different.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 11-11-2004).]

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TT as sec of transportation is what I hopped Bush would do 4 years ago. Didn't happen

I doubt it will happen for the next four years either

Maybe that's why I didn't vote for him this time....nah probably other reasons

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may recall four years ago Thompson made no secret about the fact that his preference was to be at the head of DOT instead of HHS. So it is certainly within the realm of possibility.

But knowing Bush, if Mineta steps down the job will probably go to a hatchet man from the Lone Star State.

------------------
A sitting duck is lying down.
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Toy:
Are you stating that Tom Delay would be the next SecTrans?
Or was that a generic "hatchet" reference?

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Generic. Tom DeLay never entered my mind. I was just referring to Bush's tendency to appoint Texans whenever possible. And I expect that whoever he appoints to DOT (assuming Mineta leaves) will be disinclined to build Amtrak into something better, hence the "hatchet" remark. Frankly, I hope Bush proves me wrong.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 11-11-2004).]

Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I told a friend who is really into political blogs (has his own btw). Plus he is an ultra Republican, and knows quite a few politicians. So maybe word of mouth will spread to finally help get TT the right position.
Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would think a person who "just might want to throw hat into ring", and presuming President Bush chooses to fill the chair apparently being vacated by Mr. Minetta, with an appointee having a transportation background, Gerald Grinstein, presently CEO Delta Air Lines and former CEO Burlington Northern, would be a more likely choice.

The man is presently in a "no win" situation at Delta, and somehow I think there are a few more elephants than donkeys in his "personal petting zoo".

But then, even if appointed and confirmed, I don't think passenger rail is gaining any great friend; at least his background would suggest he is not (yet) owned by "the highwaymen".

And who knows? Mr. Grinstein could be a catylist for public funding of Class One infrastructure improvements; always a chance that some Congressmember "just might" in Committee "throw in" some provision regarding passenger service over Federally improved lines.

Stranger things have happened inside the Beltway.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page