RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » amtrak or viarail to alaska?

Author Topic: amtrak or viarail to alaska?
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know neither Amtrak nor ViaRail goes to Alaska, but I wondered if any of you had ever taken a train to Vancouver or someplace else in western Canada and then gone on to Alaska in another way? If so, what way? And did you take those Alaska scenic trains while there? Thanks for the info
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never done it, but you can take VIA Rail to Prince Rupert, B.C., then a cruise ship up the Inside Passage to Alaska
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Judy
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grandma Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many cruise lines leave from Vancouver, BC to Alaska. You can either take a circle cruise to Juneau, Glacier Bay, Sitka & back or a Vancouver-Anchorage cruise with a flight back to Vancouver. Either takes about a week. Some cruise packages include the rail trip from Anchorage to Fairbanks (with or without an overnight stopover at Denali National Park). The cruise lines have private cars on the train, but you could also travel with the locals. You can also put together a do-it-yourself package by taking the Alaska Ferries - I used to have a book about doing that, but decided I was not adventurous enough to try it. If you are flexible, the ferry trip would let you go lots of places in Alaska the big ships don't go - but I think it would require a lot of planning since every port is not served every day & accommodations are limited in some of the small towns.
Unless you plan to take the Rocky Mountaineer from Banff to Vancouver, I'd recommend the Skeena to Prince Rupert for more scenery. You can get Alaska ferries in Prince Rupert. I don't think the larger cruise ships go there.

[This message has been edited by Grandma Judy (edited 11-11-2004).]

Posts: 122 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assuming you are coming from the East or Midwest in the US, I would recommend taking Via Rail Canada to Jasper, and then transferring in Jasper to the Skeena, which will take you to Prince Rupert. Prince Rupert you can catch a cruise to Alaska. On the way back, perhaps you can take Amtrak. The Skeena is a great little train (especially in the peak season when they offer Totem and Totem Deluze class). The Totem classes offer first class meals and deluxe entitles you to a seat in the "Panorama" car - a real gem.
Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info. I just looked into heading west on ViaRail, and the prices are really pretty outrageous, even if one doesn't get a sleeper, and I don't think I could travel coach that far. I know it's Canadian dollars, with the US dollar going down, I doubt I could afford it. I did once travel ViaRail and get a special, but that was only from Montreal round trip to Quebec City (lovely places both).

But maybe I could go out to San Francisco, head up to Vancouver, look into a boat ride to Alaska, and come back east via Seattle. A very long trip though; maybe I'm better off just seeing more of the lower 48 and forgetting Alaska for now. There's plenty in Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana that I'd like to see more of. Whatever I do, a NW trip will be neat after my SW trip this spring--I have to start saving up points. Only hope Amtrak lasts that long!!!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do some research with VIA. You will find that during the 'shoulder seasons' that their first class fares are up to 40% cheaper than what you will see during June, July, and August.

Earlier this year my wife and I rode the 'Canadian' first class from Vancouver to Winnipeg in April. Had we made the trip in June it would have been about $1,400.00 more expensive.

Of course we also rode through an Albertan blizzard. There is a reason why Canada is cheaper in the off-season.

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David
Member # 3

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VIA's off-peak season runs from Oct. 22 until May 31. During this time the fares, whilst not cheap, are not outrageous. The use of a North American Rail Pass or a Canrailpass can save you quite a bit. If one of the people travelling is 60 or over, there is the Seniors' Companion Offer, with which the second person pays only 25% of the sleeper fare or goes free in coach.
Posts: 216 | From: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pelican
Member # 754

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pelican     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The State of Alaska operates the Marine Highway System of ferries from both Prince Rupert BC and Bellingham WA. The fares are Much Much Much cheaper than a cruise ship. The amenities are less too, not too many midnite buffets! They do have the same terrific scenery however. The stateroom we had was cheap clean and roomy with a window. Much of the time was spent on deck or in the lounge area where non-room passengers travel. Some even set up tents on deck. I did the trip from PR to Juneau after going cross Canada on VIA several years ago and it was great.
Posts: 28 | From: Alexandria VA 22315 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, I forget the actual name, but 'Alaska Rail' does run some short line passenger trips, but doesn't go very far outside the populated areas. (If they still exist)
Posts: 140 | From: Kirksville, Mo | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page