RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » 2 locos on the Kentucky Cardinal

Author Topic: 2 locos on the Kentucky Cardinal
Capltd29
Member # 3292

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capltd29   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why did they use two locomotives on the kentucky cardinal when it was a 1 car train?

no wonder it lost so much money!

Posts: 143 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No available facilities at Louisville to wye a single unit.

Even if a GP-40 were to have been assigned to that train, it would still need to be wyed. The little "F" tells all.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The two locomotives didn't seem quite so excessive early on when the 'Kentucky Cardinal' was a Superliner Coach, a Superliner Sleeper, and two or three mail and express cars. What a pity they couldn't get some state support and extend the train to Nashville with the sleeper returning and some sort of food service.

The Kentucky Cardinal's too brief existance permitted me to board a passenger train at Louisville Union Station on a couple of occassions. Something I had wanted to do since the late 1960's when an indulging aunt from Louisville took her railfan nephew (that would be me) down to what natives called '10th Street Station' (or sometimes just 'The L&N Depot') to watch the combined 'Pan American' and 'South Wind' arrive from 'all points south'.

I'm glad I caught that train when I could. I'll not place bets on regularly scheduled passenger trains returning to Louisville Union Station again during the remainder of my lifetime....and I'm hoping for another 35 years or so.

------------------
David Pressley

[This message has been edited by notelvis (edited 11-15-2004).]

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capltd29
Member # 3292

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capltd29   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the units were always facing the same direction "elephant style"
How would that make a difference?

Posts: 143 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This linked photo would suggest otherwise, Mr. Capitol
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=22511

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capltd29
Member # 3292

Rate Member
Thanks, I swear i saw a photo with the locos, " elephant" style.

Maybe i am going crazy, I am too young!!

Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fortunately I am still new at this so I don't feel stupid when I say I must not be getting something.

I can understand how no wye track would make it impossible to turn a 1 engine train. So I thought I understood, thinking that there would be two engines facing outwards with the car in the middle and that would solve it.

But that photo confuses me. Unless the engineer sitting in the center engine could see over the car, how could it travel away from the camera.

And what little F are we referring to and what does it imply?

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can not wye does not mean can not run around. They had to swap ends, but that only requires a relatively short track with turnouts on both ends.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, of course! (I'm a dummy sometimes)

But what about the "F"?

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Next time you happen to observe a CSX unit in Ocala, Mr. Kairho, note the "F" that appears near the steps.

That designates the "forward" end of the unit, which means the controls, signals, etc are set for the unit to run in that direction.

It also means that under some Agreements, engine crews will get additional pay (arbitraries) if they are required to run the engine in the opposite direction.

Generally, the short end of a unit is designated as forward; however, there were exceptions. Both the N&W and SRY had the long ends of diesels designated as forward. Their reason that long end provided greater safety to crews in grade x-ing incidents, and since steam was active on both properties into the "fifties", this was "the way it has always been" (tradition). But as railroads were able to eliminate Locomotive Firemen, those roads "got in step" with industry practice.

Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
NOW I understand. Thank you!
Capltd29
Member # 3292

Rate Member
I mean, why not use a cab f-40? If available
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Much ado about nothing! How about mourning the death of the Kentucky Cardinal!? And all the other good service trains that have been dropped lately like the Silver Palm to Miami?

------------------

Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page