RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Largest city without passenger station?

Author Topic: Largest city without passenger station?
jabird
Member # 3594

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jabird   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would it be correct to say that Las Vegas is the largest metro region in the US (and presumably the developed world) not to have a passenger carrying railway station?

I find it particularly ironic that as the city is about to celebrate its 100th birthday, having been founded as railroad stop, it has no such service, despite being one of the world's most popular tourist destinations.

I last travelled through LV in '96, when the Amtrak service was still running. I understand that Amtrak is going through a constant struggle to get funding, but as McCarran gets busier and busier, would a case develop for a rail link at least to southern California, where a lot of the city's inbound migrants seem to be coming from?

Posts: 4 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the USA, I think "you got it".

In North America, it is Mexico, DF

Naturally, I am presuming that when you note "station", you mean "service". Both Vegas and Mexico have standing station strucutres.

Posts: 9986 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jabird
Member # 3594

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jabird   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was initially thinking LV must be one of the largest cities in the world not to have a station, but there are a fair few cities in the third world which are much larger, and don't even have rail infrastructure.

Are you saying Mexico city, the largest in the world (by some measurements) has no rail station either?

And yes, I mean serviced station, a building by rail tracks without trains stopping there is not a station!

Posts: 4 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mexico (City) likely gets the prize for the world as well, as it is the Second largest city.

With very few exceptions, such as scattered tourist trains, the passenger train, intercity and commuter, in Mexico(country) is extinct. That was "part of the deal' when the government "privitaized' the railroads (or should I say railways, as I "sense" Mr. JABird is from overseas). Much of the capital to do so came from US railroad interests. Need more be said?

Tokyo, the First, of course has plenty of rail service.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 11-29-2004).]

Posts: 9986 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have any of you considered PHOENIX?

The Sunset formerly came into downtown Phoenix where it stopped at Union Station.
For several years it has been rerouted and now stops for Phoenix passengers at MARICOPA, a very small town about 32 miles south of the Union Depot in downtown Phoenix.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While not as large as the metropolitan areas previously mentioned, I find the absence of rail passenger service to Louisville, KY and Columbus, OH to be terrible oversights.

I recently purchased a 1972 Amtrak Timetable as a collectible...if we could only have the 'Floridian' (nee: Southwind) and the 'National Limited' again......and yes, I recognize that portions of their respective routes have been abandoned so.....

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
A good point, Mr. China

Of course Phoenix is larger than Vegas both by measurement within its corporate (city) limits and by its MSA.

I considered but excluded Phoenix simply because Maricopa in all likelihood is within the Phoenix-Mesa MSA.

However the point of whether six trains a week that 'show up when they show up' constitutes 'service' is indeed open to controversy.

jabird
Member # 3594

Rate Member
My initial line of thought was curiosity over how Las Vegas can be expanding so rapidly, both as a city and as a tourist destination, but not have passenger rail service.

Granted, it has a monorail, if they can fix the bugs, but I was thinking in terms of inter-city service.

I did look at tables of largest US cities, and Columbus was the largest stand alone city. I discounted Phoenix for the reasons mentioned above.

Yes, I am from the UK, but am very interested in travel to and within the USA. I usually take in a train trip when I go somewhere, but this was not possible from Vegas, except for the "tram" between Mandalay Bay and Excalibur, and the shuttle to/from the gates at McCarran. Driving in Vegas is a nightmare too, the road signs are terrible!

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
That is the biggest problem with Amtrak long distance trains; they completely underserve or no-serve the fastest growing region in the USA - the Southwest.

Numerous potential Corridors in the Southwest such as LA-Vegas, LA-Phoenix/Tucson, Dallas-Houston, et magna alia. go undeveloped - and the chance they ever will be developed is slim to none. There is simply no initiative whatever, either at our Federal (WashDC) or State levels of Government.

If Vegas-LA were to be developed, I'd sooner lay my money on that being a success rather than doubling down my 10 count with the dealer having a 7 up.

But the chance of having it happen is about the same as 'putting it all on one number' at the Roulette table - and hitting it!!!.

CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Las Vegas is much much smaller than Pheonix...Also San Francisco requires a thruway connection.
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jabird
Member # 3594

Rate Member
Vegas may be smaller than Phoenix, but it is a much more important tourist destination. Granted, my original point was about population, but if it wasn't for the attractions, I wouldn't have been there to raise the issue.

Vegas is only city in the top 30 US mainland tourist destinations not to have a fixed rail link, and I would imagine the only one in the world top 30, although I can't find a source of those stats.

timothy reno
Member # 3597

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for timothy reno     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i live in gillete wy and we dont
have train service either now think about it a whole bunch of out of the way towns
in montana have service. but why not going
east to west does new castle , gillette ,
sheridan, billings mt , butte mt, missuloa mt, and so forth not have service.

wake up folks for i dont know how long san joaqin corridor trains have had connecting
bus service to yosimite national park.

why not have service from sherdian wy
via bus to yellow stone thats a selling point me if i ever saw one....

has anybody ever happened to look at the state amtrak california bus are registered
in i am talk about the licence plates
their wyoming tags folks how hard would it be to arange for coach usa to serve amtrak out of sheridan wy.....

Posts: 6 | From: gillette, wy usa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I do once recall viewing a CB&Q passenger train @ Sheridan, Mr. Reno. That was unnamed #47 operating from Lincoln to Billings.

This was during July 1957.

But the possibility of restored passenger service over that line I would say is nil - the track capacity is needed to keep the NE Wyoming coal a rollin'so when I reach for the light switch something happens.

timothy reno
Member # 3597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for timothy reno     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just a note on that powder river coal
and your lights coming on.

every day i see less than 20 trains pass
the mustang motel that i am manager of.
even if you go east 12 miles to the juction
where trains coming from the south you
will not see more than 40 trains leaveing the all coal line between gillette wy &
orin jucntion wy 11 miles south of douglas wy. here in gillette you see that approx
3/4 of the trains are coal the rest are manefest, auto , grain, intermodal.
and were double tracked trhough here.
nothing against the sunset ltd but i rode it from ATL,GA my home to los angeles CA
and was late 1 hr turned around a week later and went from los angeles back to atlanta. (denote the delay was only between
NOL ,La and L.A.,Ca) was 7 hrs 22 min late.
so why not put a amtrak train where it could make money buy influncing the traveling public that amtrak can be on time
with a long distant train. on double track
i say again
note there are noticeable portions of the
sunset ltd that are single track and C.T.C.
coverager at all.

Posts: 6 | From: gillette, wy usa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just want to add that, as with Las Vegas, NV, Nashville TN is a popular tourist destination with no train station. Or, I should say, they have a train station, but no trains stop in it--it's been turned into a hotel!!!

I also find the lack of a choo-choo to Chattanooga to be just horrible. As Vinnie the Cannon D'Amati says in The Big Easy, "Nobody has any respect for monuments any more!"

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timothy reno
Member # 3597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for timothy reno     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to soujouner: i just want to say they may not have a train to chattanooga , tn but at least they have made the station a living memorial to railroading and railroaders everywhere. don,t get me wrong i love to see a passenger train to chattanooga from atlanta. but that would mean trains stoping in smyrna, ga - marreitta , ga - kennasaw, ga (the home of the general "great locomotive chase" )- among others along the
way do you see c.s.x. letting that happen.
not me . but hell we all have the right
to dream, maybe someday they will come true
i,d never thought california would have rail system it has today, with its dependence on its highway system in the past . but a lot of city's on the move when it comes to population growth atlanta and chattanooga being on that list it just tells me we may have something to look forward to . in the next 30- 90 years
maybe our children or grandchildren might see it . from a true georgia train.

exile
Member # 3613

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for exile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we agreed that Phoenix and Las Vegas are the top two in the US.

Mexico City has no long distance trains - but does have a metro. The largest city with no type of train service at all is I think Lagos, Nigeria, though there ARE, possibly, trains still running in Nigeria so this information may be incorrect. If not Lagos, then it's Bogota, Colombia. I am fairly sure no passenger trains run in Colombia, unless someone else can put me right on that.

In England the largest urban area without trains is Corby, population 59,000.
Mansfield, 160,000, lost its train service in the 1960s but now has trains again.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For Exile,

The irregular terrain of Colombia makes the construction of roads and railroads costly. Colombia has 3,154 km (1,960 mi) of operated railroad track. Most of the national railroads are feeder lines to the Magdalena River, the main transport artery of the country, which with the Cauca River is navigable for about 1,500 km (about 900 mi). Colombia has no regular passenger rail service.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To Exile:

Nigeria does indeed have a (sort of) functioning rail system, and one with passenger service to boot (just don't expect on-time performance).

Nigeria has a Cape-gauge (3' 6") network of about 2,000 route miles. There is even limited commuter rail service out of Lagos on the (formerly) double track main line.

Two members of my firm are actually in Nigeria right now, inspecting the line from Port Harcourt out toward Lake Chad.

The railroad is very run down. The signal system (British style semaphores) is non-functional and the equipment is in terrible condition, but the track on much of the network was rehabbed by the Chinese a few years ago.

So Lagos does have rail service.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exile, I had been wondering, is there a way to travel into Mexico without plane or car and then catch trains there? (Also, is it safe?) Or are you saying there are no long-distance trains in Mexico? I thought the old US trains had been purchased and were in use down there.

Wouldn't it be cool to travel all the way down to Argentina by train!!!!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is one passenger train in Mexico.It runs from Los Mochis To Chihuahua through the Copper Canyon.There also tour trains over the canyon portion of the route.
Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
exile
Member # 3613

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for exile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the position AFAIK.

Glad someone put me right about Lagos - so it looks like Bogota wins the grand prize.

Interesting though - Bogota USED to have trains and indeed has (or had) a pretty impressive passenger terminal - I wonder which is the largest city NEVER to have seen a train?

My own candidate - Jiddah (which includes Makkah (ie Mecca)) - which has never had trains for religious reasons (the nearest the railway ever got was Medinah, on the Turkish Hedjaz Railway, destroyed by the Arab forces in World War I).

Also Kabul - though I think the British certainly PLANNED to build a railroad to there I don't think it was ever completed.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last Service to PHX was via the Sunset-how long ago? Las Vegas lost service with the demise of the Desert Wind (early 90's?). Both have one BIG thing in common. Can anybody guess?

Union Pacific Railroad Company--also known as UP---and to Amtrak as UP-yours.

------------------
Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page