RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » First time on a train...with kids...am I nuts!? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: First time on a train...with kids...am I nuts!?
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your car attendant takes an interest in you and your family, you might be able to get him/her to rotate a set of seats for your group so you will have a pair of seats facing each other.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cannot believe how grim you continue to be Mr. Gilbert Norman. Give us a break!! (LOL).

Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't care what others say around here regarding my thoughts/opinions expressed at this topic thread. I stand by all of them.

But it would appear, Ms. Conifer, that your plans are set. I wish you and your family Godspeed.

That you have chosen to share at least your outbound itinerary here at the Forum, be assured I will be checking on your train's 'Status"; likely so will others.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 12-25-2004).]

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be a bit more casual Mr. N!
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is encouraging to note #421 arrived in Benson only 3:46 late at 11:39pm last night(25th).

There are still coach seats available from Flagstaff to CHI at the end of the week on some days (31st and 1st).

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it looks like the first "obstacle' Ms Conifer and family could face will be a "non-issue'. Regardless of where she is originating in Michigan, all trains, namely 351 (Wolverine), 365 (Blue Water), and 371(Pere Marquette) are running close enough to schedule so that there will be a "no problem' connecting with 421(26).

Good Luck, Ms. Conifer

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have taken the train w/3 kids. If you can somehow squeeze in at least one room, maybe you and hubby could switch off with a kid for a little privacy and a lie down. Or if the little one goes on a crying binge you could escape to the room. Nothing stings more than strangers staring at your "bad" kid!
We all piled into one family bedroom ( not sure if your train has that...the Sunset does) and it was quite roomy. But even if you could swing a two person room, you could take turns for a little shut eye.
Bring food for sure...to pass time we eat!
I always bring Heater Meals as a backup. I think the website is heatermeals.com , or search yahoo.Spend as much time in the observation car...it is big and roomy.
I am for sure a sleeping car promoter...sorry I admit it.
My kids were never good enough for coach..I admit it!
The bathroom in the lounge cars have always seemed bigger to me...maybe bring a changing pad for changes. I have to be honest and tell you if you changed that dirty diaper next to me in coach, I would be mad!I am not very patient when it comes to kids...again reason we do the bedroom thing. I know it is way expensive, but we save up until we can go in sleeping cars. Otherwise we just don't go.
All that being said....your older child will LOVE it! My kids ( both sons now 12 and 14) never want to fly ( well I won't !) and they get excited about going on the train! So do I!
Now if you get a room, and the kid fall asleep in the top bunk , strapped in, little one in a strapped in car seat on top etc ( safety first!), you and hubby could join the 50 mile an hour club....ok..sorry everyone...had to get that in....reason my hubby agrees to train travel!

[This message has been edited by yummykaz (edited 12-27-2004).]

Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Intereasting link yummyyaz
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am, as Mr. Norman predicted, keeping track of Ms. Conifer's progress. At this point the status is: "What the *!%#?"

Perhaps some of you can straighten this out. The website shows #421 running about 3:30 late through San Marcos, 53 miles short of San Antonio -which is a 4 hour stop. From San Antonio they are showing #421 about 7:38 late at all stops west! But #1 (truly a miracle) is running on time, and is predicted on time thru Benson!

Is this going to be Amtrak's version of the great locomotive chase, or is the website dumb enough to think #421 is going to sit in San Antonio for 4 hours and let #1 fly by?

Help.

P.S. #3, which left left CHI about the same time yesterday as #421, is running 13 minutes early and will be in AZ a full day ahead of #421.

[This message has been edited by TwinStarRocket (edited 12-27-2004).]

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joefamily
Member # 892

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for joefamily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It will be interesting to see if #421 catches #1 during the early morning. I would bet the the 421 makes up some time between FtWorth and San Antonio. It's not too bad if the Sunset is waiting on the Eagle because all they have to do is hook it on and away they go. It has been fun watching Conifer go. Hopefully all is well. When I saw how late 421 was this morning I almost went down to the Little Rock station with a sign wishing her and her family a good trip. This will be one of the most awaited trip reports ever.
Posts: 22 | From: Little Rock, AR | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
But with bustitution, wouldn't the Sunset/Eagle be short some cars west of San Antonio. I would hate to see Ms. Conifer have to squeeze her family into an overcrowded coach in the middle of the night after the grueling bus ride,
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Oh well, this is kind of becoming "Mission Control' for Ms. Conifer's adventure.

According to the website, #21(26) arrived SAS some 2hrs late. However #1(26) hwas also sown by same. Therefore, it would appear that #421(26) should have connected.

Let's wish the lady well.

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Hooray! The Sunset/Eagle is on its way from San Antonio only 2 hours late. The number of potential disasters has diminished significantly. The website is even showing an on-time arrival into Benson (relying on the legendary competence of UP).

But just as we though all danger was past, the telegraph line from Lordsburg goes dead after sending only one word. Geronomo.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Well, from the website, it appears that #421(26) arrived Benson 1AM Dec 29, or some 5 hours late.

That's about "par for the course'.

Have a good stay with your family, Ms. Conifer; hope you choose to tell us all about your rail travels when you get home and time permits.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 12-29-2004).]

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Calling Ms. Conifer....calling Ms. Conifer.

I didn't want your thread to go off Page 1.

If you choose to tell us "all about it', you surely will have "many eyes' at this Forum.

canoe86
Member # 3099

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for canoe86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am also waiting for the trip report!!!!
Posts: 30 | From: michigan | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maxmarch
Member # 2495

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxmarch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not read all the responses and I hope I don't confuse you are be redundant.

This is what I would do... check daily on Amtrak.com... simply try to reserve your exact trip and select a sleeper. The moment one comes available, call Amtrak and get the sleeper... you will not regret it.

If that does not work, ask at the ticket counter or ask the conductor the moment you get on the train.

No sleeper? Take food with you or you will spend $$$ on the food on-board... the sleeper includes all your meals.

Car seat, yes! I do not recall seeing changing tables.

I have faith, you will get your sleeper.

Posts: 43 | From: Cape Coral, FL | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maxmarch
Member # 2495

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxmarch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See my posting on "Vacation Dilema." I kept checking for cancels, found one and booked the trip we wanted.
Posts: 43 | From: Cape Coral, FL | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would also like to read a trip report from this new poster. It would be enlightening to read about her experience, both the good & the not-so-good.

------------------
Over 20,000 miles aboard Amtrak trains.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one corner of the Earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain.

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well since you accidently got only 3 seats why not hop on over to your AAA office or browse www.amtrak.com? I know you will find something.
Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kids on the train? What better way to expose them to the scenery and eduaction of rail travel. You won't have the "Mom are we there yet"? "I need to go to the bathroom badly". etc. You will have a great time,and yes the motion of the train puts most people to sleep. I slept about six hours both ways on my trip from LAX-Lamy-LAX. Be sure to get the first seating for the dinner car or the earliest one available. The lounge car has movies,there is sometimes complimentary snacks in the cafe car. On my Coastal Starlight trip there was extra cheese and crackers from the sleepers and they put it out in the lounge car. I also had free snack mix cups in the lounge car.
Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Travel Plus -- the name of the train is the Coast Starlight, not the Coastal Starlight!! Sorry to be so picky.......
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I am fearful, Ms. Confier, the reason you have chosen not to share any impressions of your Holiday trip is that it was an unmitigated disaster and to rehash it here would siomply have less than pleasant memories surface again.

If this be the case, I understand and certainly wish you and your family well.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page