RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Auto Train

Author Topic: Auto Train
RussM
Member # 3627

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RussM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently returned from 6 week 7,000 mile cross country trip by car. I drove from Connecticut to California, then back by a southerly route to Orlando, where I caught the Amtrak Auto Train, northbound. Picked up my ticket in San Diego. The clerk was so excited because he had worked there 31 years, and had never sold an Auto Train ticket. Anyway, the Auto Train service was outstanding. The passanger/auto load was light (85 cars), so waiting times were short and everything ran like clockwork. Had a sleeper - very nice. Food in the dining car was excellent. What a great way to travel !
Is there any chance that Auto Train service might be expanded to other routes ? Any chance that the current route might be extended further North ?

Posts: 133 | From: Canaan, CT | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While there are markets about the system that could likely support Auto Train Service, or an auto carrier attached to an existing train with the passengers being accomodated in line space, nowhere is there the potential to run an Auto Train away from the existing route.

Likely you are aware that Amtrak acquired the Auto Train concept, franchise, and a lot of know how from a private concern that wnet bankrupt. This concern, after inaugurating the existing Lorton-Sanford route, inaugurated Sanford-Louisville service over a route with an elapsed time of 36 some hours.

It flopped.

As a 13 trip veteran of the Auto Train, I find that the passengers are neither train buffs or even train lovers. They are simply people looking (at least when I ride during "the season') to move the Bennie, Caddy, or Lex to Florida for an extended visit. If they have not arrived by noon day following departure, the onset of 'arewethereyetitis' is quite sudden.

Any markets I would have in mind, namely Ft Madison-La Junta, Ottumwa-Denver, or Albuquerque-San Bernardino would be no greater than 18 hours overnight, or roundly the schedule of the existing Lorton-Sanford service.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 12-21-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nr. Norman:

Your reply implies (although I don't think intentionally) that the original Auto Train ONLY ran Sanford - Louisville. Actually, the train ran originally between Sanford and Lorton; only after its success was established there did they add the route between Sanford and Louisville, which as you mentioned, flopped. In addition to problems with adding this route, the original Auto Train had a couple of controversial derailments that drained the company of cash at the worst possible time. It went bankrupt in 1981, after 10 years of operation.
I traveled on Auto Train in the mid 70s when it was still a private concern. (To Lorton, from Sanford. One way only.) My memories of this are very similar to what the Auto Train was like under Amtrak with single-level equipment. Dinner service was buffet-style meals brought to tables, vs. true restaurant style dining car service. Of course, I traveled in coach then and dining arrangements may have been different for those in sleepers.
About five years ago, there were discussions (actually published in Amtrak's Travel Planner) of a west coast Auto Train. With the disastrous financial condition brought about by the policies of a previous Amtrak president, this new service is now out of the question. Maybe after Mr. Gunn works his magic?

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Noted, Jim; the posting has been edited to reflect that omission.

One of my AT trips (Dec 1972) was with the private concern. There was no difference between the food service offered Coach and Sleeper passengers.

Amtrak emulated the AT cafeteria dining arrangement for both classes from 1983 to 1991, when during 1991, thewy initiated separate traditional Dining Car service for Sleeper passengers. When Supoerliner equipment was inaugurated during 1996, both classes had traditional service.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I traveled on Auto-Train (the original one) in 1973 and 1976, both times in sleeper. In 1973, Mr. Norman is correct -- everybody went to the cafeteria car for dinner. In 1976, I had a sit-down meal in a former UP dome diner -- as we traveled down the main street of Rocky Mount, NC, which was brightly decorated for Christmas. At that point, Auto-Train had a sit-down dinner for sleeper passengers (breakfast was a "continental" basket brought to our sleeping car room).

I rode Auto-Train again in 1987, in coach, while it still had low-level cars and domes under Amtrak. I then made a fourth trip in 1998 on the Superliner Auto-Train, and found it a very pleasant experience (we had two deluxe bedrooms) except for the hellaciously rough ride on CSX track.

All told, I consider Auto-Train to be about the best service Amtrak has ever offered, and have often wished it could be offered in other corridors. But given the current state of equipment, finances, and track capacity, I do not see it happening.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Auto Train exists where all the stars were in proper alignment so to speak. That was the reason it was set up where it is and that is why it continues.

You have a huge few times a year travel demand between the northeast and south Florida due to the large numbers of relatively wealthy people who retire from the northeast to Florida, but do want to go back for extended periods a couple of times a year.

You had a significant pool of good quality passenger equipment available at fire sale prices at the time of the start up.

You had a high speed railroad alignment, which at the time of inception was mostly double track and in very good condition.

You had a distance that could be covered with a civilized overnight schedule with just the right amount of supper, breakfast, and relax time added.

So you had demand, equipment, and reliable service with travel time better than reasonable driving time for the distance.

Where else in the US is this combination possible?

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page