RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Cypress Gardens

Author Topic: Cypress Gardens
Capltd29
Member # 3292

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capltd29   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 questions
1. Does anyone know if cypress gardens amusement park in florida will be open during spring break, march 23-31 for me.

2. What's the best amtrak stop for the park?

Anything would be appreciated.

Posts: 143 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fla1
Member # 2989

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fla1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Cypress Gardens web site says they will be open.

It's in Winter Haven. The Amtrak station in Winter Haven is served by both the Silver Meteor and the Silver Star.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Newspapers here in Florida recently had an article about the opening and it will be open for you. It was a great place for years and the new park should be even better. Winter Haven is the best stop and is within about 4 miles of the park.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Off topic, but what was the "Old Florida' attracton 'sort of near' Ocala that recently shut down?

So long as we are addressing "Old Florida", looked what appeared in the Sunday Travel Section of
The New York Times.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 12-20-2004).]

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fla1
Member # 2989

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fla1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was Six Gun Territory.

For more informaton, see: http://www.lostparks.com/sixgtown.html

Thansks for the tip on the New York Times article. I went to DeLand High School and then on to Stetson University in DeLand. I still visit DeLand frequently, and it looks like I'll be visiting even more since Amtrak train service has ended here in Ocala, and I have little interest in getting off the Star at 4:30 am to ride a 3-hour bus to Ocala.

Merry Christmas!

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...except the Six Gun Territory closing wasn't recent ... it was in the early 1980s that it closed.

I'm in Ocala and am not aware of any other nearby attraction that has closed...

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't it some kind of underwater pagent in which the performers got to "take a gasp' on;y when their routine called for them to break the surface?
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you thinking of Wikki Watchee Springs? (Sp?) I think it closed in the last couple of years. Where did all those Mermaids go?

Frank in fabulous SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, that one's still going: see http://www.weekiwachee.com/

The site above has a good timeline at http://www.lostparks.com/timeline.html I am wondering if Mr. Norman was thinking of Orlando?....

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Kairho, for the link. Now I can stop worrying about where out of work Mermaids would find employment.

Frank in DARK SBA.

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
socalsteve
Member # 2406

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for socalsteve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The lost Ocala park I believe is Silver Springs. That's where they had glass-bottom boats.
Posts: 5 | From: Corona, CA, USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Oh yes, the subject of a Doris Day Arthur Godfrey movie that still makes rounds on the movie channels.

Arthur strumming the Ukelele and Doris warbling 'The Glass Bottom Boat".

Also a recent touch of Old Florida was part of a 2002 TV movie titled 'Sunshine State' that starred Carmella Soprano.

Oh well, isn't this supposed to be a rail forum? Judging from some of the stuff I have seen around here, this could actually be considered on topic.

At least you can ride Amtrak to get there.

Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
No, Silver Springs is alive and well...
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, Old Florida! Yes, there's still a bit of it left. As someone who more-or-less grew up in South Florida (Delray Beach) I wholly agree with Carl Hiassen, columnist for the Miami Herald, when he says, "There's nothing wrong with South Florida that a good Category 5 hurricane won't fix!"

I've been to DeLeon Springs, Deland, and Orange Park, and driven Bartram Highway along the river. It's a favorite stretch of "what once was" and, for the moment, still is. And the former ACL main line runs right through it.

Another remote and wonderful area lies between Gainesville and Tallahassee, along what once was the "Perry Cutoff" used by Chicago-Florida train "The Southland" with cars for St. Pete. Tampa, Punta Gorda, and points south. The railroad is gone now, by I recommend a stop in Walker's Oyster Bar in Perry. I sat down, the waitress came over and said, "You here for oysters?" I answered yes, and her next question was, "How many dozen you want?" Turned out they were $2.50 a dozen. Now that was 20 years ago, but I had some in Tallahassee a few years back for $3.25....it's a long way from Tallahassee to Ft. Lauderdale.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You bet it's a long way from here in Tallahassee to Ft. Lauderdale. Speaking of the Perry cutoff, I rode on part of that line on what likely was its last move. A few years ago several of us had a chance to ride private motorcars (speeders) on the Wilcox Jct to Cross City segment which, at that time, was the northernmost remaining part of the line. The dirt road crossings were totally covered by sand and we dug down several inches before the rails could be seen. At othe rpoints the weeds were 3 feet high and we were surprised the motors didn't get fouled. About a week later they pulled up the rails.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page