RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Autotrain to Walt Disney World

Author Topic: Autotrain to Walt Disney World
clwood
Member # 3297

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for clwood     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to take my 2 small children to Walt Disney World in Florida. I don't care to fly, and I'd rather not drive all the way. It's occurred to me to drive to the D.C. area,take the Autotrain to its southern terminus, then drive to Disney World. Is this a realistic idea? I am a small town girl and hate (and am also unskilled at) driving on busy urban freeways. What is the traffic like on either end? I note that Amtrak makes a point of how bad the traffic can be in the Lorton area. Would my kids be welcome on the Autotrain? I get the impression that many of its riders are elderly, but this is perhaps wrong.
Posts: 51 | From: La Crosse, WI, USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never taken the Autotrain, but since it houses your car, it obviously costs more than the regular Amtrak to FL, so my advice is to consider both, esp as you don't like driving all that much. Consider esp how long it would take you to drive to Lorton, VA, where the Autotrain starts--I mean, if you live in New England or near NYC, Newark, or Philly, it really doesn't pay to take the Autotrain because the hardest part of your trip would still be the drive to Virginia, but if you live in Arlington, VA, taking the Autotrain would make much more sense. Also, take into account weather conditions--traveling to Lorton in winter is a lot harder than in April or May--and also consider whether you would need to stay in a motel the night before boarding the Autotrain; that is an expense you may not like incurring.

As for whether you need a car in Disneyworld, I don't have current info, but 25 years ago I visited Disneyworld without a car and had little trouble getting around. I took a taxi initially to the motel but thereafter used a free shuttle the motel had to Disneyworld--I think maybe it was a Days Inn in Kissimee. Back then there was no Epcot Center, Sea World or Universal City; but I bet you can get to them from many hotels/motels without a car either--just shop around, and look for family packages too. Also, you could rent a car down there; it isn't too expensive. Also, you might check with Amtrak on their packages for families in Orlando, they may offer some stuff, don't know how overpriced that would be. There are a lot of packages to the Orlando/Disneyworld area, so I'd look into all the parameters costwise and then decide if you want to take the Autotrain or the regular Amtrak . . .

You also need to decide whether you want to go coach or take a sleeper, which costs a lot more. If you are a smaller, agile person, and your children are small, you may be able to fit them both in the lower birth of a Viewliner sleeper, and you sleep in the upper berth--I have seen people do it--but if you are larger folks, or they are teens, that might be uncomfortable, and the larger family sleepers are a lot more expensive. But if you were thinking of traveling coach, that may work out too--bring pillows, snacks, Walkman or IPOD music, cards, books, other games, wear clothing in layers, though be sure to travel lite luggagewise if you are taking the regular Amtrak (one advantage of the Autotrain would be having your car and being able to take more gear easily )

Also, in getting tickets, be sure to take advantage of the 10 percent discount to AAA members if you are one, or other discounts. Last time I looked at the Amtrak website, www.amtrak,com, there was a 20 percent discount for travel to Florida in January and maybe February. I do not think this discount is on sleeper costs, just the coach seat portion. Don't know if you get it on the Autotrain either.

[This message has been edited by sojourner (edited 12-24-2004).]

[This message has been edited by sojourner (edited 12-25-2004).]

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a veteran of 13 AT trips over the years, Auto Train is quite simply Amtrak's 'best foot forward'.

Regarding access to Lorton, if it is necessary for you to drive through the Washington area, particularly through the Jct of I-96, I-495 and I-395 near Springfield, I must concur with Ms. Sojourner's remarks.

At Sanford, it's a left(N) out of the terminal, a left on FL SR 46 (W) at a light, and in two miles, you are @ I-4 to take you 'anywhere you want to go'.

'In season' the Auto Train passengers are mostly elderly folk 'going down' for an extended stay. When there, they want their Bennie, Caddy, or Lex with them. They are not about to be seen driving about in the all too usual wind up toy that auto rental concerns call a car.

I do believe that having an auto to visit the Orlando area tourist attractions is essential. Possibly, if you are planning to stay at a Disney World resort, and had no desire to do anything "off the reservation', then I guess you could suffice without. Failing that, it is best to have one.

In season, Amtrak does not give Auto Train away, as it is comfortably filled. In fact, I'm not sure if they honor discounts such as Senior or AAA. But even if they do, they only apply to the rail fare, and not your Sleeper or Auto carriage.

Don't worry about your auto, handling them seems to be one thing on which "Amtrak has it right'.

I think it is a great ride. Most recent trip was Jan 04. I'm not sure if I will be using it this season, but that hardly precludes my future use of it.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're planning to visit only Disney World / Epcot (which can easily occupy two to three full days), leave the car home. It's not worth the hassle.

You can't take the Auto Train without a car. But two other Amtrak trains -- the Silver Star (#91) and the Silver Meteor (#97) -- actually stop at Orlando, as well as at nearby Kissimee, where the most economical chain hotels/motels tend to be clustered.

As mentioned earlier, there are mini-shuttles that can take you from most hotels (in either town) right to Disney's front gate, and bring you back at day's end. I've done it and it worked out just fine. Just be certain you call and ask the hotel/motel about it before you book.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 12-24-2004).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Merry Christmas Trainweb Readers!

If you do want to utilize Auto-Train one way, check the fares in both directions. It is generally cheaper to travel NORTHBOUND on the Auto-Train during the cold months and vice-versa.

......and this is coming from someone who will be boarding the Auto-Train in Sanford for a comparitively less expensive northbound trip departing just a little over 24 hours from now.

------------------
David Pressley

[This message has been edited by notelvis (edited 12-25-2004).]

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having taken three small children on the Auto Train several times, I can tell you that they are welcome. Most passengers are indeed senior citizens, but there are many families. And the senior citizens are generally much more tolerant of children since many of them are grandparents. The atmosphere is good for kids since they can get up and move around. There are a lot more "public" areas on the train than on a standard train - a whole lounge car for EACH of the coach and sleeper passengers. (vs. a single car that passes for a lounge but is actually a snack car on the other trains.) By the way, vans and SUVs are WAY expensive - take a car instead, the price is a LOT cheaper. If you travel by sleeper, it's great, but having traveled in coach it is fine too. Since the train makes no passenger stops along the way, you don't have to worry about your children during the night. And the amenities are similar - meals are included for both coach and sleeper passengers. I always get a sleeper with the children, but this is one train that I'd feel reasonable about taking coach on overnight with them. (I have no problems in coach by myself, and have done so before I was married.) Also, there are playgrounds at both the Lorton and Sanford stations. The station in Lorton is very large, very new, and (in my opinion) very beautiful. The one in Sanford is none of the above. But it still does have an outdoor playground for waiting for the train. My wife adds: You can enjoy time with the children instead of 900 miles of kids strapped in car seats kicking the back of the driver's seat. For us, it's an excellent choice.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page