RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Air-rail connections

Author Topic: Air-rail connections
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Just after the New Year I will be flying to Fort Lauderdale from BWI and taking the train back. It's all psychological. I hate January weather in the Northeast, I want to get to Florida quickly,and I love train travelso the thought of having an Amtrak trip to look foward to during my Florida trip will be quite pleasent.

BWI has a convenient shuttle betweenthe airport and the train station. Burbank,Ca is another nice connecting place,as is Newark,NJ. I know Philly and St Louis have easy connecions by subway from the airport to the rail terminal and Seattle is a city bus ride away. Are ther any other cities where the train station and the airport are conviently linked? I usually can t take more than one week off from my job,so I ve been doing a lot of air one wayand train the other...usually I ll fly Southwest with their $100 coast to coast deals

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In addition to the Newark and Friendship stops noted by Mr. Graynt, Amtrak also has a Milwaukee Airport stop.

Commuter agency service with bus transfer is available to airports in addition to the Amtrak stops noted include. Phila, Chicago O-Hare (limited), San Francisco, West Palm, Ft Lauderdale, and Miami.

As for US airports that have some kind of rail right to the terminals, they are all rapid transit systems. Those coming to mind are; NY Kennedy, Wash Reagan, Atlanta, Cleveland, Chi O Hare, Chi Midway, San Franhcisco.

But no where in the USA, including Newark and Baltimore, is there the option to board an intercity train from a station in the basement of an airport such as the case at Frankfurt Main, and many many other European airports.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 12-26-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Minneapolis/St. Paul just opened a light rail line from under the airport to downtown Minneapolis this month. However, since the Amtrak station is no longer downtown, you still need a frequent but grungy bus trip with no luggage racks to get within one block of the depot.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The St. Louis light rail offers service directly from the airport to the Union Station complex in downtown St. Louis. Amtrak's new 'interim' St. Louis depot is about a five 'block' walk......some areas not paved though....from the light rail station. It's not a bad air-rail link if you travel light and do it in good weather.

The proposed new transit complex in St. Louis scheduled for late 2006 (I believe) is supposed to have a light rail stop (and covered walkway to Amtrak) much, much nearer to trackside.

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Norman, are you sure NYC has a light rail connection to Kennedy Airport? I thought there was one to La Guardia Airport but not to Kennedy, but maybe they opened something new? I haven't flown in so long, I don't keep up.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The NYMTA Q 48 bus route is the way to LGA from the "Subway'. http://mta.info/nyct/service/airport.htm
Here is the service to JFK I had in mind. http://www.airtrainjfk.com/airtrain/

Regarding air travel, may I join your club. Last flight was during Nov 02. Likely next flight: a "New York family emergency'.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 12-26-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Mr Norman. No idea they had that Air train in NYC to JFK--but it looks pretty nice in a Jetsons kind of way. And, if I remember JFK, they can definitely use more transportation BETWEEN the terminals; many of them are very far apart.

Hey, maybe if I'm in NYC again, I'll take that Air Train out to the airport and back. I mean, I don't like to fly, but I usually like any kind of little train. I checked out that MARTA when I was in Atlanta, for example. . . .

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Judy
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Grandma Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know the Milwaukee airport Amtrak station is under construction, but was not aware it was open & being used. There is also talk of extending Chicago's Metra north from Kenosha to Milwaukee.
Posts: 122 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...Amtrak's new 'interim' St. Louis depot is about a five 'block' walk...."

David:
I heard a comment that Amtrak would be moving back into Union Station. Do you - or does anyone - else know anything about that? Is that the reason they have moved to a "new itnerim" temp facility from small station that has been the temporary station since early eigthies or perhaps the late seventies.? I grew up in STL. Took train to NYC regularly and hung out in the station many Friday and Saturday nights watching the trains come and go.

Anyway, it is a beautiful building gone mall and the train shed to parking.

Ira

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To elaborate just a bit on airports with transit connections -- they include:

1) Boston (bus to Blue Line rapid transit)
2) New York (bus LGA to Roosevelt Blvd. subway; JFK Airtrain to Jamaica and Howard Beach LIRR and subway; Newark monorail to Amtrak NEC)
3) Philadelphia (commuter train to 30th Street and other Center City stops)
4) Baltimore (bus to BWI; light rail to downtown)
5) Washington Reagan (Metro to anywhere)
6) West Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, MIA (bus to Tri-Rail stations)
7) Cleveland (Red Line to downtown)
8) ORD and MDW, Chicago (rapid transit to downtown)
9) St. Louis (light rail to downtown)
10) Louisville (bus to downtown)
11) MSP (bus to downtown)
12) DFW (bus to TRE station for Ft. Worth and Dallas)
13) Los Angeles (bus to Green Line)
14) SFO and Oakland (BART service)
15) Toronto (bus to Spadina subway line)
16) Montreal (bus to Dorval train station)
17) Atlanta (rapid transit to downtown)

There may also be other airports (for example, Roanoke) with bus service to downtown. Sometimes a couple of changes may be required to get to the Amtrak station.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ira Slotkin:
"...Amtrak's new 'interim' St. Louis depot is about a five 'block' walk...."

David:
I heard a comment that Amtrak would be moving back into Union Station. Do you - or does anyone - else know anything about that? Is that the reason they have moved to a "new itnerim" temp facility from small station that has been the temporary station since early eigthies or perhaps the late seventies.? I grew up in STL. Took train to NYC regularly and hung out in the station many Friday and Saturday nights watching the trains come and go.

Anyway, it is a beautiful building gone mall and the train shed to parking.

Ira

Sadly a return to Union Station is not in the planning. My guess is that the current tenants of Union Station prefer not to have the ilk who would arrive by train or bus milling around and bothering their shoppers.

There is an article (and photo) of the new 'interim' station online in the Dec 23rd National Association of Railroad Passengers 'Hotline'. The link is <www.narprail.org> and then select 'Hotline' from the menu on the left side of the screen.

The reason given for the 'interim' station was that the 'temporary' station occupies land that the planned new station needs. I saw an article in NARP about 18 months (or more) ago that the new St. Louis station will also incorporate a bus terminal and short covered walkway to a new light rail station. The new 'interim' station will then become Amtrak office and crew lounge facilities.

David Pressley

[This message has been edited by notelvis (edited 12-28-2004).]

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, David. Perhaps I'll take the time and check it all out when next I am home.

And to be sure I am also 'on topic' at least a bit:

Graynt: I have done the fly-drive as well because of late trip planning or time constraints. But my son complains vigorously, as he the train experience.

Ira

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Add Portland International to rresor's excellent list of airports with transit connections. MAX light rail is a great way to get from the airport to various locations in and around Portland. The Old Town/Chinatown stop is close to Union Station (about a 10 minute walk).
Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone know the latest on the Milwaukee airport terminal for the Hiawatha? I'll be headed that way in May 2005.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page