RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Summer Trip Suggestions

Author Topic: Summer Trip Suggestions
clwood
Member # 3297

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for clwood     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all. Would anyone be willing to suggest a summertime rail trip for my two girls (5 and 10) and me for next summer? We've been from our home station of LSE to Chicago a number of times, and to D.C on the Capitol Ltd. and to Vancouver on the Empire Builder. I've thought about Montreal, but am a bit leery about changing trains in New York City. We are from a small town and the very idea of NYC is scary to me, especially as we've had a couple of unpleasant experiences at Chicago's Union Station. Any thoughts about Montreal? And why does Amtrak (on the internet) show trains to Montreal but says that we can't get there from here? Other places recommended? We're notherners and I'm not doing Disney in the summer.
Posts: 51 | From: La Crosse, WI, USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what LSE is but it sound like it's in the midwest. Denver and/or points in the Rockies such as Glenwood Springs would combine both some wonderful Amtrak scenery with active outdoors adventures from rafting to horseback riding....
Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LSE; La Crosse, Wisconsin
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Christiansen
Member # 3604

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Christiansen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't be too concerned with Penn station in NYC. It's big and it's crowded but its very safe. Tons of security. If you could avoid it, I would definetly try to work it so you are not arriving during rush hour, when you have all the Long Island commuters returning home (assuming you choose to walk around the complex). Personally, I live on Long Island and don't get into the city often, but when I do, I find the crowds and the activity quite exciting. For what it's worth, I have NEVER had a bad experience (security etc) in the city.
-Mike

Posts: 50 | From: New Hyde Park, nY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason you are not getting a connection is because you would need to overnight in NYC if you take the train (Lakeshore Ltd) east from Chicago and then wanted to take the train (Adirondack) north to Montreal. But Montreal is definitely fun to visit--foreign enough to be really interesting but still familiar enough to be comfortable, wonderful botanical garden kids would like, fabulous food. And we just LOVE the Adirondack, prettiest train ride in the East. Try to sit on the left side facing forward heading N from NYC to Albany, when train has Hudson River to west--lovely and historic (you pass West Point, for example); then whatever you do short of murder, transfer to the right side facing forward in Albany so that you can be there from Fort Edward or Whitehall (I forget which) north, 4 hours along upper Hudson becoming L Champlain, Vermont Mts across the water--just gorgeous. Pray for good weather and no Amtrak screwups. It's a long ride, but beautiful.

NYC is pretty safe, less crime than Chicago or DC. Just be sensible, as in any large city--don't carry too much cash, don't keep it in your back pocket, etc. And Penn Station is chock full of police and National Guard since 911, as noted. You can overnight nearby--ask others here where--or we like Ramada Eastside, fairly inexpensive renovated apartment hotel on Lexington Av and E 30th St, nicer cleaner Murray Hill residential neighborhood. It's a taxi ride away from Penn Station. But others can tell you places closer.

Or you of course can also go only as far east on the Lakeshore Ltd as Albany, NY, and overnight there, staying in that downtown hotel, the Crowne Plaza. The hotel used to do a free shuttle to the train station, or you can take a taxi. You can see the Empire State Plaza, with its museum, and the State Capitol, and walk from Pearl St on that new walkway by the Hudson River. You can also see the old Albany train station, at least from the outside. Then you could catch the Adirondack north the next morning. I think kids would like NYC more, you could perhaps do both--go to NYC, overnight or two there, then Adirondack, 3 nites at least in Montreal (first is when you arrive latish), then back S to Albany only, overnight, then W on Lakeshore back to CHicago. Or you could come home via Windsor and Detroit, as someone suggested. You could take Viarail between Montreal and Quebec City too, and come back to Windsor from Quebec City--it's truly gorgeous, fascinating, exotic, lots to do and see, and again, fabulous food.

I do not recommend that you get off the Lakeshore Ltd and overnight in Schenectady, though that's the closest stop where the Lakeshore Ltd and Adirondack both stop. But there's little to see there, and the station is dumpy . . .

[This message has been edited by sojourner (edited 01-01-2005).]

[This message has been edited by sojourner (edited 01-03-2005).]

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We enjoyed Glacier Park, MT in 2002, and plan on getting back there in 2006.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
clwood,
Today NYC and Penn are pretty safe. There's a huge visible security presence, and a very large invisible security presence.

When my daughters were 10 and 9, we rode Texas Eagle to Chicago, and connected w/Capitol Limited to DC, then a short hop to NJ on a local (for a two-day visit), then on to NYC for four days. We returned to Texas via the Crescent (NYC-N'alwns) and the Sunset Ltd (NO-Houston).

My kids say a large, fun part of the vacation always has been the actual train trip. Of course I agree. We have combined rail and air segments when time is short.

If time is long, one option would be going to Chicago, taking the California Zephyr to NoCal, then the Coast Starlight to Seattle, then the Builder back home. San Fran is great, and so is Seattle. Sacramento has the Cal St. RR Museum.

The CZ, Starlight and Eastbound Builder all offer great scenery.

Eastbound? Boston is a great destination -- albeit the home of the BoTox -- via the Lake Shore Ltd. We've done that, too.

Hope this helps.

------------------
_________Thë Çhîeƒ
_|_|_|_|_

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with everyone that changing trains in New York City isn't as scary as it sounds.

Have you considered making New York your final destination? It's crowded and noisy, yes. But finding a "reasonably" priced hotel (by New York standards) isn't totally impossible. And the place has enough kid-friendly attractions to last a lifetime.

Boston, which is much smaller and "quainter" and far less hectic, is another good choice (take the Lake Shore Limited from Chicago). And I second the suggestion about taking the California Zephyr from Chicago to San Francisco.

As for Montreal. . . parts of the city are pretty. But unless you plan to spend most of your time wandering through the shops in the huge underground mall, there really isn't much to do. Frankly, your kids might get bored very quickly.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 01-01-2005).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joefamily
Member # 892

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for joefamily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could go through Detroit then bus to Windsor and take Via on to Montreal. I've heard that Montreal is a very nice place in summer with lots of free things for families to do and my family and I are thinking of going there this summer. Quebec is supposed to be very interesting as well and would be a foriegn language experience for your kids as well.
Posts: 22 | From: Little Rock, AR | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clwood
Member # 3297

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for clwood     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by joefamily:
You could go through Detroit then bus to Windsor and take Via on to Montreal.

How hard is this to do? Is the bus an Amtrak or Via offering? Would we need to cab it from the Detroit station to the bus and from the bus to the Windsor station? I've never been on the Via and would dearly like to.

And here's a related question: What's the Detroit Amtrak depot like? I was in the Detroit Greyhound depot 25 years ago (how time flies) and the Detroit airport 5 years ago, and neither had much to recommend it. I'm not looking for fancy shops. My wishes are a safe place to wait, a chair to sit in, and a functioning restroom.

[This message has been edited by clwood (edited 01-02-2005).]

[This message has been edited by clwood (edited 01-02-2005).]

Posts: 51 | From: La Crosse, WI, USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Judy
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grandma Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little off topic: but if you are flying Northwest Airlines thru Detroit, most flights are thru the new "A" concourse which is very easy to navigate & features a monorail running from end to end in addition to moving sidewalks. No worries about making connecting flights as long as both are from that "A" concourse. If you arrive at the old "C" concourse & need to make a connection at the "A" concourse, GOOD LUCK. It is a L-O-N-G way. Many of the smaller commuter planes fly in/out of the "C" concourse, so if you are flying from LaCrosse, this may be your fate!

I second the recommendation of the circle trip - California Zephyr to Coast Starlight & return via Empire Builder. I would not do it in the reverse direction - best chances for daylight scenery in the clockwise direction.

I also heartily concour with the description of the Schenectady Amtrak station - what a dump! Keep in mind that the LSL has a poor on-time performance coming from Chicago east, when considering connections. If you haven't been to Boston - consider that for sightseeing for your children. Lots of historical stuff to do there.

[This message has been edited by Grandma Judy (edited 01-02-2005).]

Posts: 122 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I live in St. Paul, we share the problem of not being able to connect with any other western train from the Empire Builder without an overnight stay in Chicago.

One of my favorite destinations has been Whitefish. Very much a destination vacation town with lots to do. Beautiful depot. At least 2 car rental companies (Hertz and Budget) will have your car ready at the depot. Motels are pricey in summer. I usually stay at "The Cheap Sleep", actually an excellent cheap no-frills motel.

Glacier can be enjoyable and educational for kids. Big Mountain Ski Area just outside of town has scenic chairlift rides. The various Lodges in Glacier and the Going-to-the-Sun highway are awesome.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cl - another option would be to take the Lake Shore Ltd to Buffalo-Depew, then connect to the afternoon Maple Leaf to Toronto, then you can either stay overnight in Toronto and take VIA to Montreal the next day, or you can take the overnight VIA train from Toronto to Montreal.

A note for those of you that suggested taking the Lake Shore Ltd to Boston -- be mindful that the Lake Shore DOES NOT GO TO BOSTON ANY MORE!!!! You need to get off at Albany-Rensselaer and take a connecting Acela Regional to Boston.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are taking Viarail from Windsor or Toronto, you might consider taking it all the way to Quebec City. I like Montreal a lot, and I think kids would too (let me know if you want a list of things to do and see--someone here said there wasn't much, and I say, au contraire!), but Quebec City is even MORE special.

You could do a loop up with the Adirondack, overnight in NYC or perhaps just Albany, go up the Adirondack, overnight in Montreal, continue next morning on Viarail to Quebec City (it's just 3 hours or so on Viarail), and return on Viarail to Toronto or Windsor, then back thru Michigan or maybe Buffalo . . .

You know, there is also that Blue Lake train from Chicago to Port Huron (the one that used to go to Toronto). Port Huron is in the Blue Lake summer resort area on Lake Huron in Michigan. I wonder if you can overnight there and then catch a taxi easily across the border to Sarnia, ON, where Viarail has some kind of train that connects to Toronto, I think. Or do that in reverse, get to Sarnia, taxi to Port Huron, overnight there and take early train back to Chicago. I cannot imagine the taxi would cost a lot; it's very close by. Of course, with any border crossing, one has to have all the papers in order, but you must know that from going to Vancouver.

[This message has been edited by sojourner (edited 01-03-2005).]

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeartlandExpress
Member # 3386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HeartlandExpress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since its a border crossing mayber there is a shuttle or something. And the Blue Water doesn't get in to Port Huron until 10:50pm. Kind of late and then will need a place to stay. It looks like Via has two trains from Sarnia to Toronto, early morning and afternoon.

[This message has been edited by HeartlandExpress (edited 01-03-2005).]

Posts: 18 | From: Eagan, MN | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joefamily
Member # 892

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for joefamily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like you have some option, although I was expecting you to get into Detroit in the daylight hours. Rich, I think has the best option and you don't have to leave the Amtrak station. My wife and I have been researching Montreal and Quebec and are kind of excited about going there.
Posts: 22 | From: Little Rock, AR | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page