RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » California Zephyr East or West?

Author Topic: California Zephyr East or West?
maxmarch
Member # 2495

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxmarch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same as my Empire Builder Question... wondering how to get the most and best scenery... do you travel East or West on the California Zephyr for the most bang for the buck?
Posts: 43 | From: Cape Coral, FL | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Christiansen
Member # 3604

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Christiansen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!
I posted a similar question back in early Dec 2004. Based on the responses I received I decided on taking the CZ west and the EB east. I will, hopefully, be taking this trip next week, so I will let you know if it was a good route!
-Mike

Posts: 50 | From: New Hyde Park, nY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maxmarch
Member # 2495

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxmarch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was afraid of that. I can't book the trip that way... I have three son's and refuse to go without the family room... we traveled Orl to DC, to Chicago, to San Diego to Houston, back to Orlando and only had the sleeper on the SW Chief... never again!
Thanks and if you think of it, let us know how your trip went... best of luck

Posts: 43 | From: Cape Coral, FL | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Westward on #5, period!.

Even if on time, EB #6 will descend the Rockies after dark. That scenery is what the route is all about!!!!

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Westward on #5, period!.

Even if on time, EB #6 will descend the Rockies after dark. That scenery is what the route is all about!!!!

I'd almost consider a weekend flight to Denver just to ride the Rio Grande Ski Train. Up by daylight in the morning, descending just as night falls the same day.

Wow!

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As you travel eastward on the EB, you get to see more of Glacier Park by daylight (if you get up early). This is the most scenic part of the trip.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, but I am confused by these posts because of use of abbreviations, numbers, and other jargon. Is EB East bound or Empire Builder? i.e., Mr Norman are you disputing the direction others say is best, or agreeing?

I'm sorry to be so confused!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
California Zephyr - westbound the Rockies and Sierra Nevada are all traveresed in daylight; eastbound the Sierras are traversed in daylight, but the east end of the Rockies is after dark (the approach into Denver, however, is also very beautiful at night as you descend the Front Range)

Empire Builder - eastbound Glacier Park is all daylight; westbound in the summer it is daylight, winter it will be dark for much of that portion

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page