RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » First time traveling on Amtrak with the wife & kids!!

Author Topic: First time traveling on Amtrak with the wife & kids!!
hehcooh
Member # 3694

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hehcooh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Planning on a trip to Colorado in latter May. Intial review of costs are that Amtrak is approximately half the cost of flying for 5.
The train is somwhere in between cost and travel time.

Considering two route options and would appreciate advice and comments.

1. WB Cleveland,OH to Chicago to LaJunta, CO. EB Denver to Chicago to Cleveland.
2. WB Cleveland,OH to Chicago to Denver. EB Denver to Chicago to Cleveland.

As indicated in the subject line this is the first time on Amtrak. Traveling with wife and three kids, ages 10, 8 & 6. Should we pay the additional cost to upgrade to a family bedroom or go coach all the way?

[This message has been edited by hehcooh (edited 01-25-2005).]

Posts: 27 | From: Northeast Ohio | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iowamomofsix
Member # 3695

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for iowamomofsix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like we're in a similar situation. I just posted questions that the answers to might help you too. I'm also looking forward to the replies you get.

Debbie

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't even THINK about long distance travel without Sleeper accomodations; QED.

Whether to ride #3 Chief or #5 Zephyr depends upon your undisclosed destination. If anywhere South of Pueblo, #3. North of there #5.

It will be quite interesting is Ms. Conifer of the "am I nuts" topic will choose to surface and relate to the Forum her experiences traveling Coach over the Xmas holidays on Amtrak most unreliable train - the Sunset.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coachclass
Member # 2382

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coachclass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coach is just fine for many families, especially if cost is a concern. I always enjoy it. Wide, reclining seats and plenty more room to move about the train than if you took an airplane. Sleepers are nice and a bit more private if you can afford them. The only advice I would have on which train to take would be that the train to/from La Junta #3/4 the Southwest Chief tends to have a much better on time record than #5/6 the California Zephyr, especially as of late. Also note that the Lake Shore Limited and Capitol Limited between Cleveland and Chicago are rumored to switch time slots coming up in the new timetable in April. Good luck with your trip planning!
-coachseats www.geocities.com/coachseats

Posts: 78 | From: Des Moines, IA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hehcooh
Member # 3694

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hehcooh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
#3 Chief or #5 Zephyr doesn't make much difference (except in cost. my option 1 is more costly but not significantly). Final destination in CO is east of Denver and north of Lajunta. That puts us somewhere in the middle of Eastern CO. Although I doubt that LaJunta is big enough to have a car rental facility, so that might factor into the decision.

Posts: 27 | From: Northeast Ohio | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hehcooh
Member # 3694

Rate Member
"the Lake Shore Limited and Capitol Limited between Cleveland and Chicago are rumored to switch time slots coming up in the new timetable in April."

Any suggestions on how to substantiate this rumor. Could you provide a source?

Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, a 2:56am or a 4:21am departure from Cleveland seems kinda rough to me. Not my idea of convenient, but that's just me.

Be not afraid of coach. Mr. Norman, a well respected member of this group, has clear preferences, but they are not shared by all.

Coach is far from luxurious, but if cost is a concern it is a reasonably comfortable way to go. Coach seats are designed with overnight travel in mind, offering tons of leg room, a foot rest, leg rest, and they recline. I generally don't recommend it for more than one night, however, as sleeping is not exactly easy. If you can afford it, a sleeper upgrade is a definite improvement, but not, to my mind, essential. In fact, the majority of Amtrak's overnight passengers are in coach, not sleepers.

When comparing the cost of sleepers and coach, remember that sleeper fares include meals. Add $30-40 per person per day to your coach fare to make a more accurate comparison. Coach passengers can, however, save some money taking your own food, or if you buy the cheaper prepackaged stuff from the lounge.

I'm a little puzzled as to how La Junta figures into the itinerary if the destination is Denver. If you are trying to make a loop via the SW Chief, Amtrak has a bus connection between Raton and Denver.

BTW, the really nice part about taking the train, is it takes you right into downtown Denver.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hehcooh
Member # 3694

Rate Member
"2:56am or a 4:21am departure"

I know. not great choices. We'll probably do the 4:21 departure in order to cut down the layover time in chicago.

"'m a little puzzled as to how La Junta figures into the itinerary"

Final destination is my Dad's farm/ranch in eastern Colorado but we want to sightsee in the mountains west of Pueblo and La Junta is only a couple of hours away by car.

Car rental in LaJunta is still unknown.

Still into and out of Denver has it's advantages also. We still have a few days to decide so we're looking for advice from experienced train travelers.

coachclass
Member # 2382

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coachclass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got my info. on the Capitol Limited/Lake Shore Limited Schedule change in April from "This Week At Amtrak" a weekly email newsletter from the United Rail Passenger Alliance. Following is a direct quote:

"Ralph von dem Hagen, Chief Operations Planning Officer in Amtrak's
Operations Planning Department in Washington, DC, spoke at the Rail Users
Network (RUN) meeting on January 8, 2005. Here is a partial and condensed
summary of his remarks.

- Amtrak must have one train (either the Lake Shore or Capital Limited)
depart Toledo after 6 AM, to Chicago or completely lose the Ohio market.
Currently the Capital Limited does this, but starting in April 2005,
theLake Shore will serve this market, as the Capital Limited will operate
earlier and the Lake Shore later, to Chicago.

For April 2005 Amtrak Schedule Changes:

- The Capitol Limited (Train 29) will run earlier from Washington, DC,
departing mid-afternoon, instead of 5:20 PM.

- The Lake Shore Limited (Train 49) will depart NYP at 3:50 PM (one hour
LATER than today).

-Coachseats www.geocities.com/coachseats

Posts: 78 | From: Des Moines, IA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I looked around the web for you regarding an auto rental concern @ La Junta; none of the majors are there, but Enterprise is.

Some say a "car rental concern is a car rental concern"; one guy's "wind up toy' is the same as the others.

I personally prefer a "major"; it sure was nice to see that tow truck show up @ 130AM after I had left the headlights on in an unfamiliar auto (my own takes care of that little detail). The driver had me "outta there" in two minutes and did not even wanted to be tipped "Hertz pays us quite well, Mr. Norman, glad I could be of help'.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is EB La Junta to Chicago not an option? The #4 is much more likely to run on time at La Junta than the #6 at Denver. This could be crucial for connecting at Chicago on the way back.

La Junta Enterprise Car Rental is not open on weekends, and unlimited free mileage applies only if you do not leave Colorado. If you are not arriving on a weekend, La Junta would be a hassle-free location to drive from compared to Denver. Hertz services the depot in Denver, as does Enterprise at La Junta.

The depot at La Junta has checked baggage service, and is a long stop for (crew change point) on the Southwest Chief. Unlike Denver, you can park practically trainside which makes toting your luggage and kids easier.

I have traveled both in coach and family bedroom with my wife and two kids. Coach is doable if you prepare for the overnight. Extra pillows and blankets help. Dinner runs about $11-18 and breakfast $7-10 so you would be getting about $100 worth of food and a shower with your bedroom for 1 night. The family room also has windows on both sides of the train.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hehcooh
Member # 3694

Rate Member
Thank you, coachclass, for identifying the source of the Capital Limited/Lakeshore Limited switch. It looks like our Cleveland projected departure time wouldn't change just the train that we get on. A 4:21 AM is still a 4:21 AM. Not ideal, but taking the train to CO cuts out almost 2 days of driving for me. More time to talk to my wife and see the country. Interstate driving is boring.

Thank you, Mr Norman and TwinStarRocket, for looking into car rentals in LaJunta. I was going to look into rentals in LaJunta on the web but you have saved me some time and for that I thank you both.

Your right that LaJunta would offer less hassle than compared to Denver. We're planning to go Canon City the weekend we arrive and LaJunta is closer. My wife wants to see Pueblo (I don't know why, I've been there, seen it, got the T-Shirt). LaJunta offers variety to our trip. As for EB departure my Dad's place is closer to Denver, so that's probably what we'll do.

I looked at the added cost of a family room. The cost for it is nearly what our tickets would cost. Since it's needed for only one night I think we can coach it and pay for the meals. But I appreciate all the advice.

I'm planning to take a laptop/GPS system to montitor train location and document our trip. I'll use USAPhotomaps (http://www.jdmcox.com/) software. Any advice on laptop operation on Amtrack. I've read that power outlets are available so that shouldn't be an issue.

clevelandbrown
Member # 3654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for clevelandbrown   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take my first AMTRAK trip next week, so I am not speaking from experience, but since I now like a short nap in the afternoon, and my wife gets real huffy about it when I am driving, I have been doing a lot of research on public transportation. If I have anything wrong, I am sure others will correct it.

Both lines that stop in Cleveland do so at uncivilized hours. I decided we would like a sleeper on our trips, but since my night's sleep is ruined by the arrival and departure times for Cleveland, I plan to get coach tickets to and from Chicago, then a sleeper to points further west. As I played around the AMTRAK web site, it allowed me to have different classes of tickets on different legs, so I will save some money doing that. The leg to Chicago is also relatively short, so it's not like we will miss my afternoon nap.

I haven't visited the AMTRAK station in Cleveland yet, but I used to work just up the hill, so I know the area. I don't think it is a good place to leave one's car. I believe you can get there, or very close, on the new rapid line, but I think a cab is probably the best way to get there.

Beyond that, I was surprised at the relatively low cost of a sleeper, given that it includes meals. I'm not sure it would be as cost effective for someone with very young kids, but I think having a place to put them down for naps would be well worth it. One think I noticed was that the sleepers seem to sell out quickly; I don't know if they add cars in that situation, but on the booking site a number of categories always seemed to be marked sold out.

When you get back, I would be very interested in what you found good and bad about your trip. We have a grandchild in San Diego and plan to take a train out there sometime.

Posts: 15 | From: Lakewood, Ohio, USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enterprise may not allow you to drop your car in another location.

From my experience, the mountain scenery west of Pueblo is very nice but the town itself is not much of an attraction. Colorado Springs has much for families to do and see, both in and around it.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hehcooh
Member # 3694

Rate Member
clevelandbrown,

Let us know how your trip went when you get back. What's your destination.

I'm not even sure where the Amtrak station is in cleveland. I got the address from the Amtrak website but when the address was fed into a couple of websites nothing popped up. Can you pinpoint it from a few landmarks. Ditto when you wrote "both lines that stop in Cleveland do so at uncivilized hours". We're coming up from the Akron area. We'll get a family member or bribe a friend to take us up and drop us off when it's time to travel. If your traveling from Cleveland what are your plans for getting to and from the station?

We've decided to forget La Junta as a WB destination. Our plans now are to take the #5 Zephyr all the way to Glenwwod Springs. I don't think we'll get another chance to travel the moffat road and tunnels, Byers, Gore and Glenwood canyons for some time, so we're going for it. The additional cost to Glenwood instead of getting off at Denver is minimal. I would think that by May repairs on the main Zephyr route should be repaired west of Grand Junction but I read on another discussion forum tonight that repairs are going to be scheduled for the Moffatt Tunnel this summer. (http://forums.amtraktrains.com/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=2123&hl=moffat&s=2bfbdb37b2fd256a6ea0f7b2fd59c810)
Will definitely research this story.

I agree that the trip to Chicago is too short for a sleeper compartment. Maybe we'll get a small sleeper compartment on the Zephyr or we'll do coach to CO and spend the money on a hotel room at the Hot Springs pool in Glenwood Springs.

As for a car We'll start looking at rentals in that area.

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hehcooh - The Cleveland AMTRAK station is located at 200 Cleveland Memorial Shoreway -- right in front of (and in view of) the Cleveland Indians ball park
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One minor correction: The repairs on the Moffatt tunnel were done summer 2004. The link that hehcooh has listed is of an old story.

------------------
Over 20,000 miles aboard Amtrak trains.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one corner of the Earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain.

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clevelandbrown
Member # 3654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for clevelandbrown   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Amtrak station in Cleveland is on the memorial shoreway, a limited access road, west of East Ninth Street.

If you are approaching from the west, on the shoreway, take the East 9th Street exit, but do not go up the ramp to East 9th; rather turn sharply right toward the tracks, and the station will be on your right. The 9th Street exit is always an adventure, as people leaving the Amtrak station to get on the shoreway headed east cannot see the exiting traffic, so there are often some very dramatic mergings.

Coming from the East on the Shoreway, exit at East 9th and turn left (south)at the top of the ramp onto East 9th, cross the bridge over the shoreway, and turn left (east) at the stoplight at the end of the first bridge. Note that you are now heading away from the station. Reenter the shoreway headed east and exit at the first exit, at the end of a rather large parking lot. The entrance gates for the parking lot are on your right. Pass them headed south and the road dead ends at the access road along the tracks. Turn right, pass the parking lot and garage, then under the East 9th street bridge, and the station will be ahead of you, with a few kinks in the road there to make it interesting.

If you drive up from Akron, you will probably want to get off the interstate at the East 9th street exit and head north on East 9th, past the stadium on your left. Keep going until you get to Lakeside Avenue, where the last large buildings are. After you cross Lakeside, be in the right lane. Just after you cross the short bridge over the tracks, you will see a gaudy RTA stop on the left, and a public garage on the right. There is a stoplight there and signs pointing you onto the shoreway east. Just as above, enter the shoreway, exit at the first exit past the parking lot, drive to the tracks, turn right to get under East 9th, and the station is just ahead of you.

I plan to take a cab there, but I live in the near suburbs, so a cab doesn't cost much.

Our first trip next week is from LAX to San Diego (SOL). Out son and his family live in San Diego and since we have to fly that far, we are going to stay a couple of days in LA to visit one of their art museums, and I discovered that the train is a very convenient way to get from LA to SAN. Curiously, by avoiding all the time at the airports, we will actually get there quicker, and cheaper, and more comfortable, I hope, on the train.

Posts: 15 | From: Lakewood, Ohio, USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hehcooh
Member # 3694

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by RRRICH:
hehcooh - The Cleveland AMTRAK station is located at 200 Cleveland Memorial Shoreway -- right in front of (and in view of) the Cleveland Indians ball park

I believe you mean the old Cleveland Indians ball park. The Indians now play at Jacob's field. The station must be in view of the (not so) new Browns Stadium.

maxmarch
Member # 2495

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxmarch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I will chime in... either train will be a memory that you and your family will never forget... I travel with my wife and four kids... make that 3... my 21 year-old is busy with her college and career seaking... anyway, I STRONGLY recommend sleeping accomodations... I won't travel in coach again.
Posts: 43 | From: Cape Coral, FL | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hehcooh
Member # 3694

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by clevelandbrown:
The Amtrak station in Cleveland is on the memorial shoreway, a limited access road, west of East Ninth Street.

Great directions to the station. Thanks.

Now a question to anyone regarding train arrival/departure status. Going online it seemed that A/D information is sometimes not timely. Can "Julie" at Amtrak's 800 number provide more up to date information for the departure date's train. As an example: say we're scheduled on the Capitol Limited for a 4:21 AM departure. It's scheduled arrival is 4:09AM. Could we call Julie, say about 2:30 AM to determine if it left Pittsburg on time at 1:22 AM. The idea is if it's a couple of hours late then than means a little more sack time at home for the
family before we need to leave to get to the station.

[This message has been edited by hehcooh (edited 01-27-2005).]

CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hehcooh:

Now a question to anyone regarding train arrival/departure status. Going online it seemed that A/D information is sometimes not timely. Can "Julie" at Amtrak's 800 number provide more up to date information for the departure date's train. As an example: say we're scheduled on the Capitol Limited for a 4:21 AM departure. It's scheduled arrival is 4:09AM. Could we call Julie, say about 2:30 AM to determine if it left Pittsburg on time at 1:22 AM ?

Yes.

------------------
Over 20,000 miles aboard Amtrak trains.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one corner of the Earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain.

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
The Denver-Glenwood Springs segment is some of the most spectacular scenery you can see by rail. It is highly recommend you claim your seats in the sightseer lounge before the train departs Denver. It fills up in a hurry.

Strangely enough, Glenwood Springs has no major car rentals in town other than Enterprise (and they are expensive). The Eagle County Regional Airport, 25 miles east up the beautiful canyon, has all the major car rentals and last time I was there they allowed you to drop cars in Denver. They close around 4-5pm. Transportation there may require a cab.

The charming train station is right downtown and has checked baggage. The springs are just across the river from the station.

hehcooh
Member # 3694

Rate Member
TwinStarRocket, Thanks for the advice about claiming seats in the sightseer lounge. Also thanks for the info regarding car rental in Glenwood Springs. There are some very helpful people on this forum. To all THANKS! We'll manage something.

My wife and I were in the Glenwood Springs about 13 years ago. I promised her that someday we'd go back, stay and swim. I never would have thought we'd be taking three kids along. We're all looking forward to it.

Ray
Member # 10

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coach is okay if you're going for a very short jaunt, say 200 miles. Anything with real distance to it - you will appreciate the room. With a family you should use the family room. For one, you'll be better able to control your kids better if they start getting ansi, and two, there are three lavatories on the same level that the family room is on - which also has only a few passenger rooms on that level as well. Meaning, there will probably be at least one restroom available at all times for you. The shower is also on the same level.

Once you've "tasted" first class, especially with a family, you'll be hard pressed to use coach again, unless you really have to. You're meals are included, soda, juice and bottled water is usually available at no charge, by your room attendant. The little things add up fast. Enjoy the trip. Travel by sleeper!

Posts: 22 | From: Fullerton, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, too, highly recommend the Family room sleeper. With your group, you should come out ahead after counting your meals on the train.

Also, just for fun, check the cost of traveling to a stop or two past your destination. It might be cheaper to book yourselves to Grand Junction or Green River, instead of Glenwood Springs. {Or I could be totally wrong on the cost savings...}

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
First, allow me to represent that I have no pecuniary interest whatever in the commercial establishment I am about to address.
http://thehoteldenver.com/

Obviously, the best known hostelry in Glenwood Springs is the Hotel Colorado, but if you are looking for an alternative at a considerably lesser rate, try the Hotel Denver.

Best feature, it is opposite the train station, and it would appear that they offer "rooms with a view'.

gibg
Member # 2565

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gibg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In addition to Enterprise, there are two other car rental operations in Glenwood Springs.

Glenwood Springs Ford (970) 384-2400
Silver Wheels (970) 945-7107
(Enterprise is (970) 945-8360)

None of these is close to the Amtrak station, but I imagine they would pick you up with prior arrangement as the CZ arrives at a decent midday hour.

One other option is the Eagle County Airport (about 35 miles) or the Aspen Airport (also about 35 miles). There is scheduled bus service from Glenwood Springs to the Aspen Airport (every hour), and charter service to the Eagle County Airport (Colorado Mountain Express 800-525-6363).

Mr. Norman's suggestion re the Hotel Denver is an excellent one. It is literally right across 7th Street from the Amtrak station. Accommodations are reasonable and the restaurant is good and inexpensive. Most Glenwood Springs hotel packages can include a pass to the hot springs pool, which is a short walk across the UP tracks, the Colorado River and the I-70 freeway via a pedestrian bridge.

Posts: 87 | From: Snowmass, CO USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hehcooh
Member # 3694

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by mikesmith:
I, too, highly recommend the Family room sleeper. With your group, you should come out ahead after counting your meals on the train.

Also, just for fun, check the cost of traveling to a stop or two past your destination. It might be cheaper to book yourselves to Grand Junction or Green River, instead of Glenwood Springs. {Or I could be totally wrong on the cost savings...}

I checked on Amtrak about booking further than intended destination. Cost to Grand Junction is the same as to Glenwood Springs. I was very surprised at the cost for a family room. It was considerable. Looks like coach for us. I am looking into transferring mileage from my Continental OnePass membership to Amtrak Guest Reward. I've got enough to upgrade to a bedroom assuming one is available.

As for a car rental once we get to Glenwood it will have to be with someone that will let us drop off auto in Denver.

Mr Norman, Thanks for the suggestion for a hotel. We will consider.

Once again thanks to all for suggestions.

[This message has been edited by hehcooh (edited 01-30-2005).]

NothinCouldBeFiner...
Member # 3832

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for NothinCouldBeFiner...     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awwww...come on, Gil, it's not that bad. For those of us who don't mind "roughing it", I can see where it would be very economical and quite an adventure to boot! I imagine you don't go tent camping, either! [Cool] I know. I know. Only a deluxe, well-equipped motorhome for YOU! [Big Grin]

And, now that Mrs. Conifer has written her trip report, you noticed it wasn't so bad after all. AND, they ran into some tough obstacles, mind you! I was amazed, but she has a remarkably positive and upbeat attitude! It's posts like hers that give me inspiration that my family (3 of us) CAN survive a night on the Coast Starlight. [Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Don't even THINK about long distance travel without Sleeper accomodations; QED.

Whether to ride #3 Chief or #5 Zephyr depends upon your undisclosed destination. If anywhere South of Pueblo, #3. North of there #5.

It will be quite interesting is Ms. Conifer of the "am I nuts" topic will choose to surface and relate to the Forum her experiences traveling Coach over the Xmas holidays on Amtrak most unreliable train - the Sunset.

Posts: 18 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mary_228   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hehcooh: I read your comment about transferring your Continental One Pass mileage to Amtrak Rewards:

"I am looking into transferring mileage from my Continental OnePass membership to Amtrak Guest Reward. I've got enough to upgrade to a bedroom assuming one is available."

I looked at both programs and don't see anyway to do that? What did you find out? Were you able to make it happen?

Posts: 72 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Play around with the type of sleeper accomodations and vary your departure by a day or so in either direction. You might find a bedroom and a roomette to be more affordable than the family bedroom.

I would suggest that you take your lumps and ride coach out of Cleveland. A late train may not even depart until after 6am anyway......and the Cleveland station is adjacent to the new Browns football stadium.

Having the sleeper departing Chicago entitles you to use of the metropolitan lounge in Chicago from the moment you arrive......that's free luggage storage and complimentary beverages and snacks....plus pre-boarding on train 5 away from the teaming hordes pushing and shoving to get a coach seat.....with a family this is a big advantage.

Please let us know how it works out.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hehcooh
Member # 3694

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by mary_228:
I looked at both programs and don't see anyway to do that? What did you find out? Were you able to make it happen?

It's not apparent from Continental's OnePass webiste that you can transfer mileage, but it's doable. You have to speak directly to a Continental Representative and request the action (NOTE: The call to OnePAss for this was not toll-free). I transferred 60,000 miles from my Continental OnePass account by calling the OnePass' phone number and asking for the transfer. They asked for my Guest Rewards account and in about 10 working days the miles were transferred. Wasn't difficult at all and Continental was helpful. Parris at Guest Rewards was a HUGE help also and worked with Amtrak reservations personnel.

30,000 miles one way are good for a family bedroom for 2 zone travel. Our trip from Cleveland to Colorado qualified. We couldn't go past Denver on the Zephy or Trinidad on the Chief (because of the 2 zone restriction) but that was OK since most of our family is in the front range and east. The other 30,000 miles was used for our return trip. We chose to travel to and from La Junta instead of Denver because we have family reasonably close and the departure time from Denver was very inconsistent and jepordized making our connection in Chicago.

BTW, using the Guest Rewards program saved us approximately $1900 in reservations and accomodations. [Big Grin]

The family bedroom upgrade qualifies us (2 adults and 3 children) for reserved seating from CLE to CHI and the bedroom from CHI to LaJunta and the same for the return. 5 in the bedroom may be a little tight but the girls are still small and it's just for one night each way.

Local travel once in Colorado will be taken care of by borrowing family vehicles.

quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
Having the sleeper departing Chicago entitles you to use of the metropolitan lounge in Chicago from the moment you arrive......that's free luggage storage and complimentary beverages and snacks....plus pre-boarding on train 5 away from the teaming hordes pushing and shoving to get a coach seat.....with a family this is a big advantage.

A coworker also explained that we will have the advantage of using the Metropolitan lounge and pre-boarding.

Yes, we'll have to catch the train (and get off) in CLE early in the morning but so be it.

We're looking forward to this trip. Once we get to Colorado we'll drive to Mesa Verde, see sites in the moutains, brand some cattle; the normal tourist things.

I will post comments about the trip and the train experience after our return.

Once we board in Chicago and find our bedroom and get things settled do we stay there until our tickets are collected or are we permitted to roam the train?

Could someone give a description of the layout of the Southwest Chief?

--------------------
"Kansas City Southern. Ooh, that's a lonesome sound." Pure Prairie League

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Amtrak/Continental OnePass swap is a sweet deal. I just hope it lasts long enough for me to burn some of the 500,000+ OnePass miles I have. Both Amtrak and OnePass people are very helpful and the transfers have been clean and quick when I've done them. The cost of the phone call is negligible considering the potential value of the miles.

The great thing is that Amtrak doesn't seem to have learned abou the dreaded "capacity control" that the airlines use with rewards. If the space is there, you get it.

Frank is blustery SBA.

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mary_228   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you earn points with Amtrak rewards? Our trip was booked under my name alone, and the cost was about $1500. Does that mean I will get all the points? Is it one point per dollar on both accomodations and ticket? I'm trying to figure out if I'll earn much on this trip, making it worth it to transfer my husband's 17,000 miles. And do the miles transfer one to one for Amtrak points?
Posts: 72 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hehcooh
Member # 3694

Rate Member
Check out http://www.amtrakguestrewards.com/

The miles transfer 1 mile airline for 1 mile rail. And miles can be transferred back and forth between Onepass and Guest Rewards as your travel requirements require.

Geez. I sound like a commercial.

--------------------
"Kansas City Southern. Ooh, that's a lonesome sound." Pure Prairie League

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have the GuestRewards Platinum Mastercard you also get double points for Amtrak purchases. You can also find information on that on http:/www.amtrak.com .

Frank in Sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page