RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Large Family - Logistics Questions Re: Sleepers

Author Topic: Large Family - Logistics Questions Re: Sleepers
iowamomofsix
Member # 3695

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for iowamomofsix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have really had a great time reading the forums these past few days and have had a lot of questions answered for a trip I'm planning for my large family later this year. We'll either be going on a Disney vacation from Iowa to Anaheim the last week of April or the second week in October. Originally, we were planning the trip for spring, but I'm starting to hear the rumbles of large crowds making their way to
Disney's 50th year celebration even before it begins on May 5th. We were planning on going the week before which is just after the last week of spring vacation. Going later in the year gives us more time to save for sleeper accomodations and a chance to ride the newer rides at Disneyland.

Our current plans, whichever time of year, are to board in Chicago, which is five hours away, but a very fun place to visit for a day - we love the Museum Campus. We plan to take the Southwest Chief to Los Angeles. From Los Angeles we would board the train to Anaheim, our final destination. Right now, I currently have reservations for the original springtime plan at a hotel that has the Amtrak station in it's backyard. Since I love train noise, that's a good thing. This enables us to get of the train, walk a few feet, check-in to the hotel, and ride the bus to Disneyland, thereby saving rental car fees.

I have six kids ages 2 to 15, five of which are boys, and I just think they will thoroughly love traveling by train. We have gone cross-country via plane and car many times and they have done excellent with both modes of travel. However, I don't know how my two-year-old and my 6 foot 3 inch figity husband would do sleeping in coach, so I'm looking into getting at least one bedroom (larger than the roomette) for hubby and baby.

My questions is, if we do get, say, one descent sized bedroom for hubby and baby, are the logistics of the train set up so that hubby and baby can mingle with the family in coach during the daytime? And also, since we would be on the train two nights, could he and I trade off in the sleeper for a few minutes of shut-eye if needed? Does Amtrak allow for the people using the sleeper to trade off so long as we don't go above the number of people we reserved the room for?

I am used to sleeping in an upright position since I spend many of my nights holding kids in that position, so I really don't need to be horizontal, plus my kids sleep anywhere in any position. I don't think we need to get two family rooms, and I'd like to save the money, if possible.

But, I am concerned about being forced to be separated during the daytime.

Here's the second question: Although we would enjoy a day trip to Chicago, and wouldn't mind starting off our trip there, I have four stations within 2 hours of my house here in Iowa. I chose to start the trip in Chicago so that our Suburban would be in secure parking.

How safe do you feel leaving your cars in unmanned, and unguarded parking lots at the smaller stations for a couple of weeks? Should I even consider parking my car in Osceola or Creston, IA for two weeks?

I realize that a lot of people are probably dropped off at those smaller stations, or take the bus, or taxi. With our group, we have to drive, unless someone can think of a way to get to those smaller stations without having to take our car.

We could also go to Kansas City too, but for some reason, I feel safer going to Chicago. Kansas City at 10:30 p.m. kind of makes me a little edgy.

I would appreciate feedback and advise regarding any of the stations listed above both big and small.

And again, any advise on the sleeper situation.

Thank you very much. I'll enjoy reading your responses.

Debbie

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hehcooh
Member # 3694

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hehcooh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You bring up some good questions? It will be interesting to see what advice you receive on the "sleeper" issue.

How far away is the Museum of Science and Industry from the station in Chicago. I would like to take my son there if we have some time waiting for afternoon departure. As for my wife and girls they're interested in seeing the "American Girl" store while laying over in Chicago. Maps indicate that it's only about a mile away which is within walking distance, but safey is a concern. Taxi?

What do you think?

Posts: 27 | From: Northeast Ohio | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coachclass
Member # 2382

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coachclass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have parked my car several times at Osceola, IA without any problems. The station attendants "Pat and JR" will be happy to write down your license plate # and keep an eye on your car. Nothing official, though. Have a good trip!
-coachseats www.geocities.com/coachseats

Posts: 78 | From: Des Moines, IA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I noted to the other lady, pay what you must, but don;t even THINK of travel without Sleeper. A Family room holds five; if I count properly, you have a herd of eight. Likely what you need is two Roomettes and a Bedroom. or a Family Room and one Roomette.

A mitigating cost factor in favor of Sleeper is that three square meals per passenger are included in the rate (alcohol and gratuities extra), however, no rebate if all a child want's is one noodle of macaroni and cheese - with the rest "conveniently' pitched at a sibling.

I wouldn't leave MY luxury-level "pride and joy' auto unattended anywhere for two weeks; it knows not what an airport parking lot is; at hotels after having carefully "defensively parked", I still seem to sleep with "one eye open'. But if you have a "rolling total" or a buggy that is "just wheels', then maybe you will be content and take the chance. Neither Creston nor Osceola is staffed by Amtrak employees, although there is a contractor who will "open up' at train time. I'm not familiar with either Creston or Osceola, but I am with Mt. Pleasant, guarantee you MY car would not sit there unattended for two weeks.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 01-25-2005).]

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you plan to take the SWC then you need to think about Galesburg or Ft. Madison and my guess is that you can find a safe way to leave your vehicle at either. The SWC leaves both in the early PM so get there about noon and you should find a way to leave the vehicle, probably at little or no cost. The other stations mentioned are for the CZ which lets you off 500 miles from Disnyland which means another day to get there.

There should be no trouble getting the family together if some ride coach, but the suggestion that you all take a sleeper is my recommendation also.Your meals are included and it is TWO nights each way on the SWC so a good bed will be much appreciated by all.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the Museum of Science & Industry question: it's in Jackson Park on the lakefront at 59th Street, perhaps six miles from Union Station.

Two ways to get there (aside from a taxi).

1) Metra Electric train from Van Buren Street Station to 59th Street. It's a longish walk across Jackson Blvd. from Union Station to VB, but I suppose you could cab it.

2) Bus across Jackson Blvd. to State Street, then transfer to a #6 Jeffrey Express bus that goes down Lake Shore Drive and right past the museum. Just tell the driver that's where you want to get off.

Have a good time!

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is one of those rare occurances when I agree with Mr. Norman on the subject of sleepers. For a group of this size, on a journey of this length, sleepers will make it much more pleasant.

If you split yourselves among coaches and sleepers, I doubt they will let you trade off. Its too much for the crew to keep track of who belongs where. So those who go coach should expect to stay in coach. Sleeper passengers can visit coach passengers, but coach passengers cannot visit sleepers. It is the way of things.

The Family room is designed for four, but the lower adult bunk is wide enough that you could squeeze in a fifth. However, if you get a family room and two roomettes, nobody would have to share a bed.

To that end, I suggest you reserve room "F" (Family) and then specifically request Roomettes 13 & 14, which are right next to the Family room. Go to this page: http://trainweb.org/crocon/sleeperplans.html and look at the lower level Superliner diagram, so you can see how the rooms are arranged. Any other combination of Bedrooms and Roomettes will result in either excessive bed space or doubling up in a single bed. You will need to call Amtrak at 1-800-USA-RAIL and talk to an agent in order to request specific rooms. Do so as soon as you can, because there is only one Family room per car, and they sell out fast. Also, the sooner you reserve, the cheaper it will be.

If the Family room is not available, the Amtrak agent can advise you on other workable room combinations.

A combination of roomettes and a family room will also allow members of your family to have places to retreat if they want to have some quiet time alone.

Finally, if you are a AAA member, be sure to mention that when you order your tickets. Give the agent your AAA membership number and you will get a 10% discount on your rail fare (that's the transportation charge, which does not include the accommodation charges).
------------------
"Good ideas are not adopted automatically. They must be driven into practice with courageous patience." -- Hyman Rickover
The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 01-25-2005).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My experience is that sleeper fare does not get you "three squares a day" per person or otherwise. You get a meal if you happen to be on the train when they are served; it depends when you get on and when you get off and you will have to pay to have your meal elsewhere before and after these events. It seems like you pay for it whether you get it or not.

Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iowamomofsix
Member # 3695

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for iowamomofsix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your advice. I think we'll wait until October and save up for the sleepers. We always have great vacations because we're willing to follow the good advice of others. Thank goodness for the Internet. Thanks also for the reminder about my Iowa stations being on the wrong route. Yesterday I was looking into a trip to UT and got "on the wrong track" so to speak when asking about this Disney trip. My grandma lives a mile away from a station on the CZ route in Utah, which opens up another benefit for learning how to use Amtrak.

I've been to Ft. Madison many times. This is a place I could easily drive to from Des Moines to catch the Southwest Chief. Has any used this station before? Can you tell me anything about it? Are there any safe parking facilities there or at Galesburg?

One concern we have here in the Midwest is hail. Another feature I would hope for is covered parking, but my assumption is I would only find that luxury in Chicago or Kansas City.

For the person who wanted to know about getting around Chicago, I walked back and forth from the Hilton to Museum Campus several times with my kids and never felt unsafe. We did get hit up a couple times by panhandlers, but that was when my husband was with me, and I wasn't frightened.

I only had trouble with the panhandlers at Grant Park, but the bike mounted police were very visable, so I felt safe.

Walking the streets on Michigan Blvd. was not at all scary.

Chicago seems to have a very good bus system which, in the shore neighborhoods, are used mostly by tourists. I would not feel at all intimidated taking a bus from the Chicago station to any attraction along or around Michigan Ave.

Thanks again everyone for your help. For you with a lot of miles behind you, who regularly post on here, thanks for the service you provide. Your replies to other forums I have read have given me a really good picture of what our Amtrak experience will be like.

Debbie

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Debbie,

The Amtrak Station in Ft. Madison kind of south of downtown and is located right by the river at the edge of the former Santa Fe freight yard. It's a small 'new' (circa late 1960's) station which replaced the older Santa Fe station up by the 'fort'.

The station is manned by an Amtrak agent and I would imagine that the parking lot mostly contains cars left by Amtrak passengers and BNSF train crews. I'm thinking it would be relatively safe BUT I'd worry about leaving a vehicle there for two weeks......I'd worry about the river flooding and washing my car away even. If I were leaving a car though, I would choose Ft. Madison over Galesburg.

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have left my car at Ft. Madison, Galesburg, La Plata, Osceola, Ottumwa, and Creston (I drive down from St.Paul). Safety has never been a concern. I'll take a good old midwestern small town over any big city secure parking lot any day. These people even leave unlocked bicycles in their yards overnight!!! All of these are uncovered, but hail is less likely in May or October. All parking is trackside and in many cases railroad employees also park their cars there (Ft. Madison is one). Kansas City parking is VERY expensive -$7/day outdoors and a long walk to the depot. La Plata, MO is the closest to Des Moines on the SWC route.

You can always be guaranteed that the lounge car can be used as a common area for coach and sleeper passengers day and night, and it is also the most desirable location to spent your days anyway. It is possible that your attendant would not object to your family from coach spending time in your bedroom.

Contrary to many on this forum, I do not find coach a hardship and my kids couldn't care less if they were in coach or sleeper as long as they were on a train. As you say, they sleep anywhere and there is plenty of space on a train for creative sleeping opportunities. We actually ended up doing coach more often than sleeper because we never spent any time in the bedroom (it felt kind of cramped). They would make friends with other kids on the train and in the bedroom it was the same old folks they saw every day.

In case you are in a hurry, you can change trains at Fullerton for Anaheim without going into LA Union Station.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iowamomofsix
Member # 3695

Rate Member
TwinStarRocket,

Thank you for the upbeat point of view. I grew up in Southern California, moved to Salt Lake City, than Denver, all places one needs to be very cautious and suspicious, and I have spent my life looking behind my back and locking everything up. I've lived in Iowa for four years and see people leaving their cars running in the parking lots all the time, even at Wal-mart, especially in the winter. It's hard for me to get past the mentality that people can be trustworthy, but it's refreshing to hear you say what you did about the small midwestern towns. I have really seen nothing, whileliving here, that should make me extra cautious, but I can't get past being cynical, worrying because of my big city frame of reference.

My husband suggested we take a weekend trip on the train, or at least visit a depot this weekend just to get the feel of things.

Regarding travel by coach, how many children have you taken in the past and roughly what age?

I have friends that went to Utah this last Christmas, took their four rowdy kids, slept in coach, and parked in the lot in Osceola. They had a wonderful time, and said they'd do it again, the mom even had morning sickness. They said their kids were so excited about being on the train that they were good. That's triggered me into thinking we could travel by train, and the more I learn, the more I am in love with the idea.

I have a new question based on a suggestion in another topic I was reading on this forum. Let me preface by saying to anyone who would worry about us sleeping in coach that this information would help me for short distances as well, so it's a general question. Let's just say, if my family of eight were sitting in two rows going the entire width of the train, could the seats in the row in front be turned around to face the row behind it? I have seen pictures of such arrangement and someone else mentioned they had done that. Do all coach seats have that capability? If so, sitting in coach would be much more fun in the train because we enjoy each other so much and would be so happy to be able to face each other. No matter the distance, short or long, the trip would be so much more fun.

Another question regarding the Southwest Chief route..... I'm worried if we boarded in Galesburg or Fort Madison, that seats would be either all taken up from the people boarding in Chicago, or the people boarding in Chicago, who are riding single, will be splattered all over the train, leaving one empty seat next to them, and making it so we wouldn't be able to find eight seats together. What has been your experience? What kind of expection should I have? Even the slightest chance of not being able to sit together would be enough to convince me not to travel by coach for any length of trip, which will probably convince us to keep flying because the incentive of going on the train is to spend time together as a family.

Thanks,

Debbie

iowamomofsix
Member # 3695

Rate Member
Nobody that I have read has really addressed this issue in any web site or forum that I know of, but there are probably other families wondering about parking like I was. For anyone interested, I just found out you can contact the local police department of the town you will be meeting the train at and find out what the statistics are of vehicle theft in the city. In Fort Madison, last year, there were 23 car thefts, all of which occurred because people left their cars unlocked and keys in the ignition. Twenty of the 23 were recovered within 49 hours. Most of them were stolen out of peoples driveways and dark alleys. None were hotwired.

Just thought this was interesting information. Looks like we'll board in Fort Madison afterall.

Debbie

Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have nothing but the highest regard for Mr. Norman. His advise is worth its weight in gold. However, when it comes to sleepers, I am not entirely of like mind.

I have been traveling long distances exclusively by train for over seven years now. I purchased a sleeper (roomette) for the first time a couple weeks ago on the Southwest Chief. I boarded in LA and got off in Albuquerque.

Although I enjoyed the privacy of a sleeper, I don't suppose I will repeat this experience again. It's not really about money. It's more about space and a sense of isolation.

I once read that as people acquire more money, they tend to become more isolated from society. I missed the easy access and lively interactions I once enjoyed in the observation car. Frankly, I felt out of place when I did visit the observation car.

Furthermore, since I had a reservation in the sleeper car, I also felt out of place, hanging out in coach.

My little roommette felt like I was living in an MRI. I have never seen such a compact living space.

If you can afford it, I suppose a family room would be great, but it is a lot of money. And money does not grow on trees.

I have advised large families to travel in coach and have not heard any major complaints. If you board the train in Chicago, you can probably negotiate a suitable seating arrangement to accommodate your needs, but I don't think the conductor will allow you to reverse the seats.

If some sort of privacy is required, I would recommend looking into lower level reserved seating. Because there are so few of these seats available, a reservation is required. These seats are normally occupied by the elderly and the handicapped. It is a very, very nice space, however.

Perhaps your husband and one other person can manage to nab a space or two on the lower level. But since this space is very private, I'm sure that whoever is staying down there will be climbing the steps to visit the rest of you and not vise-versa.

I have always maintained that money should not be a guiding force when it comes to train travel. Amtrak is in very despirate straits at this time and, to be honest, there is no guarantee that our national railroad will even exist by the time you have accumulated enough money to go "first class."

So, my advise is to go coach and get some prescription sleeping pills for the hubby and stick him in the lower level.

[This message has been edited by Chucky (edited 01-26-2005).]

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iowamomofsix
Member # 3695

Rate Member
Chucky,

Your advice was well-balanced and respectful. I have also noticed the same about the isolation phenomenon you are talking about. This has been a good exercise for me to get differing perspectives and analyze the pros and cons. In talking to dh last night, although I mentioned we'd probably get two family rooms yesterday in this forum, I think we'd be able to deal with coach if we had to. I'm more encouraged after doing some research on parking at Fort Madison, and talking over the issues with dh (dear husband). $4000 to travel in the sleepers convinced dh to fly, and I can't say that I blame him. To fly all of us, it would only cost $2300. When you look at the numbers, money has to be a deciding factor with a crowd our size.

I've always been a peculiar person, in that I've been able to do things people say are impossible, because I'm stubborn. I think my kids could be good in coach. Since we've done many many long distance trips cramped in a car without any trouble, I think a train will be a luxury for them, being able to use the bathroom when nature calls, and eat and drink at will.

So the lower level is a benefit? I was considering lower level because of bathroom proximity. Stairs are also a benefit to keep the blood pumping for the two days on the train.

Thanks for your perspective. It helped.

Looks like our decision will be between coach and flying, based on the dollars.

Regards,

Debbie

RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just one more thought that was motivated by your last post.

Perhaps you would want to Amtrak one way and fly the other, or some of you could take the train west and meet (dh) who would fly next day, and then all fly back.
That way some could have the very enjoyable train experience on the SWC which has been describded with much fondness in other postings here.

Anyway, please let us know of your travels when they are complete. It seems that several
of us now feel that we are "almost family'.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Debbie,

If you're looking to get the whole family together in coach you generally need to board in Chicago where the train originates. Perhaps you would want to consider having one person drop the family off in Chicago and then drive to Ft. Madison, park the car, and join you when the train reaches Ft. Madison.

As for the sleeping car room(s), perhaps you would want to look at the possibility of spending the first night in coach and then moving to the sleeper at Albuquerque for the second night. Be a chance to experience train travel both ways without spending quite as much money.

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Debbie,

One of my fondest memories is piling into the old Chevy with Mom and Dad and heading out from our homestead outside Chicago to visit family in New York and Montreal.

My brother and I in the backseat fluctuated between trying to kill each other and getting along. Mom always had a heavy foot on the accellerator and Dad never asked for directions. Good times.

Times have changed somewhat. Boys are still boys, but the price of gas ain't 25 cents a gallon anymore. But the journey is still the thing and, if you don't have to be somewhere in the next couple hours, I say, take your time.

I'm not one of the high-rollin', six-figure boys on this board. I'm just a regular guy (as my Dad used to say), making in the low 20's, perfectly content with my life. I don't take long week-ends, I build up my vacation time and then I take, three or four weeks off. I climb aboard Amtrak and take it to Chicago, Montreal, Miami, Los Angeles, Vancover BC. So many more places I want to go....

The boys will love it. And if you're anything like me, that space between A and B will be sublime. It's one of the few chances I have in life to think, to meditate, to meet the most extraordinary people.

And if I get bored, I might buy a half bottle of cabernet sauvigon in the cafe car for $8 and sit in the observation car and watch the world go by.

You can bring along your own food, or you can buy it on board. I have found the cheese pizza (at about $3) to be edible. No artificial ingredients. Quite filling. The food in the dining car is always good. Don't forget to order apple pie a'la mode for dessert, I won't tell.

Climb aboard. You'll be sorry the journey will come to an end: Even in coach.

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iowamomofsix
Member # 3695

Rate Member
Taking coach on the first leg and sleeper on the second leg is an excellent idea. That just might be doable. We're not a six figure family either and we put up with a lot to pinch our pennies, and the challenge in doing so can be fun.

Thanks everyone for brainstorming with me. This will definitely be a much better vacation than if I had just jumped right in without chatting with all of you.

Debbie

Big Merl
Member # 3251

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Merl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know you have your heart set on the Chief, but I am a huge fan of the Zephyr. Something to consider if you do take the Zephyr, drive the other direction out of Des Moines to Omaha. That is also a fully staffed station which has pretty safe parking, or you can park at one of the airport secured lots and take a cab to the Amtrak station for about $10. The only stinker is the boarding times. She stops at Omaha at midnight on her way West and at 6am on her way East.
Posts: 88 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So many good questions, where do I begin...

It is an excellent idea to try a sample trip. You could drive to Osceola and take a round trip to Galesburg on the Zephyr. They have a large new depot near downtown. The Zephyr uses the same equipment as the Chief but does not have as good an on-time record. You could even do an overnight to CHI. Try a bedroom one-way? Could cost some bucks for 8 of you though.

When the long distance western trains leave their origin point, a large block of coach seats are marked "Reserved for Families" above the seat. The conductor and car attendant are aware of how many are boarding at each stop and try to save space for them. When I was traveling alone, I was often assigned a seat with another single passenger in an almost empty car because a large party was to board further up the line. So it is likely, but not guaranteed, that without any effort on your part you could end up with coach seats together. Your chances of being together could also depend on how many people are doing the same thing you are east of Ft. Madison.

If you have read enough on this forum, you probably know you can encounter anything from very good to very bad onboard staff and service. The onboard crew can probably accommodate your needs. Whether they will is pure luck. The seats can be turned around but I don't know if they would do it. Conductors are in charge and change throughout the trip (8 hour shifts). Car attendants are on the train for the whole trip and have to sleep sometime. In coach, one attendant may have 2-3 cars.

You mentioned getting 2 family bedrooms. Please be aware there is only one family bedroom per sleeping car and probably 2-3 sleepers on a train. They are on the lower level and access between cars is on the upper level. It might be difficult to find a travel day when both are available. Don't let this discourage you. The family bedroom is a bargain when you consider you get 4-5 meals per bedroom vs. 2-3 for a deluxe bedroom and the family room is cheaper.

Ditto what notelvis said about Ft. Madison. The station is not downtown, but in a remote rail area downriver with some tricky one-way streets involved. Try plugging 1601 20th Street (ZIP 52627) into Mapquest to get an idea where it is. There is an adequate indoor waiting area and a friendly and helpful station attendant. If you arrive early like I do, you can drive east to the old station downtown where there is a large park, fort replica, and river dock to wander around and let your kids burn off some energy.

My kids are twins and started traveling by train with me at about the age of 8. They still love it at age 26. Unlike cars and planes, the train gives them a chance to move about often. There are always people to meet and observe. There can also be some bad apples. In the sightseer lounge you will have the opportunity to mingle with fellow adventurers or watch movies in the evening.

In the winter many Amish families take the Southwest Chief to Disneyland. As farmers, they have available time in the winter and they do not fly.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iowamomofsix:
If my family of eight were sitting in two rows going the entire width of the train, could the seats in the row in front be turned around to face the row behind it? I have seen pictures of such arrangement and someone else mentioned they had done that.

Well, maybe. Coach seats can usually be turned, but it can't be done to a single row in the middle of the car, only at the front row. Although the seats will turn in any row (to orient a car going in different directions), if you turn one row in the middle of a car it will prevent the row immediately in front from being able to recline.

Back in the '70s Amtrak used to keep the front row turned as a matter of routine. I don't know why they stopped doing that, because it was a good idea. I think some car attendants today may be willing to do this for you if the front row of seats are available, but not all will make the effort. I don't know what official policy on this is.

------------------
"Good ideas are not adopted automatically. They must be driven into practice with courageous patience." -- Hyman Rickover
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canoe86
Member # 3099

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for canoe86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I realize for what I am about to suggest next, I may take some heat for. But, if I were you, I would try to reserve the 2 deluxe sleepers, or bedrooms, in which a wall can open between them. You could crunch the kids in the bottom bunks, and the adults could take the top. You would then have 2 bathrooms in your sleeper for the kids to run to. Yeah!!!! This would work best if the majority of the kids were small, and I see you have a 15 year old. Might be a bit cheaper, and at least easier to keep track of everyone this way instead of a family and 2 sleepers. I am a solid supporter of the sleeper, but regardless of what you choose, enjoy the trip!
Posts: 30 | From: michigan | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iowamomofsix
Member # 3695

Rate Member
Thanks for the suggestion. I had considered getting a family bedroom, and a roomette, but I like your suggestions too. How strict is Amtrak about keeping to the "max people per room" rules? Are they just suggestions, or would Amtrak frown on me scrunching four tiny bodies into two bunks. My kids sleep just about anywhere and in any position, even on the floor, although I don't think the floors on the train would be sanitary enough.

Another question my husband has is the safety of the LA station at night. Can anyone give me their opinion? He says we'll be such a spectacle getting off the train in LA in the wee hours of the night, and having grown up in the LA area we only remember when the neighborhoods in the downtown area were really bad. We might be renting a car and driving from LA to Riverside or Anaheim at night, arriving at our destination close to midnight, and we're a little worried about that. Also, how late is Hertz open?

Thanks,

Debbie

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by iowamomofsix:
Thanks for the suggestion. I had considered getting a family bedroom, and a roomette, but I like your suggestions too. How strict is Amtrak about keeping to the "max people per room" rules? Are they just suggestions, or would Amtrak frown on me scrunching four tiny bodies into two bunks. My kids sleep just about anywhere and in any position, even on the floor, although I don't think the floors on the train would be sanitary enough.

Another question my husband has is the safety of the LA station at night. Can anyone give me their opinion? He says we'll be such a spectacle getting off the train in LA in the wee hours of the night, and having grown up in the LA area we only remember when the neighborhoods in the downtown area were really bad. We might be renting a car and driving from LA to Riverside or Anaheim at night, arriving at our destination close to midnight, and we're a little worried about that. Also, how late is Hertz open?

Thanks,

Debbie

Hey Debbie,

My wife and I had a superliner bedroom overnight in December. I don't know how many folks Amtrak will let you put in a room but the idea of two side-by-side bedrooms is a good one. It would be tight but the lower bunks would each sleep a pair of average-sized adults.......or three kids. Doesn't hurt to run it by Amtrak. Otherwise you might want to look at the family bedroom and then one of the lower-level roomettes which would be only a few steps away.

I'm not able to guage the safety of the Union Station area in LA but found it reasonably clean and well-lighted when I caught the eastbound 'Sunset Limited' from there in 2002. For what it's worth though, the 'Southwest Chief' is scheduled to arrive and depart during daylight hours. The westbound train would have to be 12 hours late before you're facing a 'middle-of-the-night scenario'.

Enjoy your trip planning!

------------------
David Pressley

iowamomofsix
Member # 3695

Rate Member
Thanks David!
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Your fears about the cleanliness of the floors are valid. The carpet seems to be vacuumed only. I have learned to bring black sox for train rides as thats usually the color they end up anyway. My daughter thought it 'nerdy' with athletic shoes, but we foamers have to keep our image up.
iowamomofsix
Member # 3695

Rate Member
Thanks for the kind words Chucky. Just when I think I'm going to abandon giving train travel a try, you talk me back into it.

Thanks again, Debbie

NothinCouldBeFiner...
Member # 3832

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for NothinCouldBeFiner...     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chucky, this had always been one of the reasons I would be reluctant to have a sleeper. I just wouldn't like to be holed up in that small area most of the time. And, I enjoy having my own spacious seat in coach where I can "people watch" and have the freedom of walking around and visiting other cars, as well. I'm just not sure the huge increase in our fare would be worth it, especially if I would always be wanting to be out where "the action" was. [Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by Chucky:
I have nothing but the highest regard for Mr. Norman. His advise is worth its weight in gold. However, when it comes to sleepers, I am not entirely of like mind.

I have been traveling long distances exclusively by train for over seven years now. I purchased a sleeper (roomette) for the first time a couple weeks ago on the Southwest Chief. I boarded in LA and got off in Albuquerque.

Although I enjoyed the privacy of a sleeper, I don't suppose I will repeat this experience again. It's not really about money. It's more about space and a sense of isolation.

I once read that as people acquire more money, they tend to become more isolated from society. I missed the easy access and lively interactions I once enjoyed in the observation car. Frankly, I felt out of place when I did visit the observation car.

Furthermore, since I had a reservation in the sleeper car, I also felt out of place, hanging out in coach.

My little roommette felt like I was living in an MRI. I have never seen such a compact living space.

If you can afford it, I suppose a family room would be great, but it is a lot of money. And money does not grow on trees.

I have advised large families to travel in coach and have not heard any major complaints. If you board the train in Chicago, you can probably negotiate a suitable seating arrangement to accommodate your needs, but I don't think the conductor will allow you to reverse the seats.

If some sort of privacy is required, I would recommend looking into lower level reserved seating. Because there are so few of these seats available, a reservation is required. These seats are normally occupied by the elderly and the handicapped. It is a very, very nice space, however.

Perhaps your husband and one other person can manage to nab a space or two on the lower level. But since this space is very private, I'm sure that whoever is staying down there will be climbing the steps to visit the rest of you and not vise-versa.

I have always maintained that money should not be a guiding force when it comes to train travel. Amtrak is in very despirate straits at this time and, to be honest, there is no guarantee that our national railroad will even exist by the time you have accumulated enough money to go "first class."

So, my advise is to go coach and get some prescription sleeping pills for the hubby and stick him in the lower level.

[This message has been edited by Chucky (edited 01-26-2005).]

Posts: 18 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NothinCouldBeFiner...
Member # 3832

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for NothinCouldBeFiner...     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is what we plan to do. We're going on a large group family cruise to Alaska and time is of the essence getting up there, so we're going to fly SWA with their special internet rates. Initially, we were going to fly back, as well...but since we had strongly been thinking of taking the train anyway, why not stay an extra night in Seattle, see some sights and take the southbound Coast Starlight back home?! So, if all goes well, this is what we'll do. And, we plan to go Coach mostly for financial reasons. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by RRCHINA:
Just one more thought that was motivated by your last post.

Perhaps you would want to Amtrak one way and fly the other, or some of you could take the train west and meet (dh) who would fly next day, and then all fly back.
That way some could have the very enjoyable train experience on the SWC which has been describded with much fondness in other postings here.

Anyway, please let us know of your travels when they are complete. It seems that several
of us now feel that we are "almost family'.

Posts: 18 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maxmarch
Member # 2495

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxmarch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our Family of six fit comforably in the family sleeper on the SWC two years ago. We were not isolated... spent most of the day in the observation car. We had our privacy, too... when it counts... while sleeping. We got lucky, though... they allowed all six of us "3 squares" a day... not sure if they would let all of you do that... meals can get a bit pricy with a family your size... the Museum of Science and Industry is worth the trip... see the orignal california zephyr on display. Best of luck in your decision process!
Posts: 43 | From: Cape Coral, FL | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two points:

Mr. Maxmarch; The Zephyr train on display at MSI in Chicago is the Pioneer Zephyr. This is a three car train that once made during the "height of the Depression" dawn to dusk run from Denver to Chicago.

The train passed through my town at dusk. The Historical Society has a very grainy B&W photo of the event in its collection.

Second to Mr. NothinCould:

While it is heresy to suggest any alternative to rail travel at this board (without regard to class of service), I would be most concerned that after the cruise, "are we homeyetitis" will set in. Unless you plan to purchase a totem pole in Alaska, what you go with is roundly what you will return with, as I don't think the Alaska "love tub circuit' is really a shopping junket. Since you plan to fly on the outward trip, you will of course be obligated to ensure you have no TSA prohibited items (that are perfectly acceptable on Amtrsak i.e. a penknife) with you. There is a greater possibility that would inadvertently occur if one were to use surface transport outward, and air for the return.

In this instance, I would suggest air transportation in both directions, but be sure to 'come on back' for an AmtraK trip in the near future.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vicki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Two points:
Second to Mr. NothinCould:
I would be most concerned that after the cruise, "are we homeyetitis" will set in. n

Gosh, I sure hope not! LOL! We'll be on the Builder R/T CHI to SEA with a cruise to Alaska in between. The only time I find myself with that particular affliction (as mentioned above)is when we're driving. Then I can't wait to get home.
Posts: 149 | From: Joliet, IL USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page