RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » New personal food policy

Author Topic: New personal food policy
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to NARP's December newsletter, Amtrak has loosened its policy on where you can consume personal food you bring on board.

You may now eat your own food on the upper level of Sightseer Lounge cars. Personal food is still banned from the lower level, the diner, and from single-level lounge cars.

------------------
"Good ideas are not adopted automatically. They must be driven into practice with courageous patience." -- Hyman Rickover
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've often spotted passengers eating non-Amtrak food in Sightseer Lounges. The only time I noticed a crew member have a problem with it was on the Southwest Chief, when a family of inbreds plunked a cooler onto an empty seat and refused to move it when another passenger asked to sit down.

I'm far too classy to smuggle food into a diner. But I occasionally bring stuff into the single level cafe cars when they're not crowded, simply because the curtainless windows provide a better view.

On a fairly empty Empire Service train last week, I headed to the cafe car to inhale a very nice Subway sandwich I'd purchased on my way to Penn Station. I was the only passenger sitting in the booths. The counter attendant didn't bat an eye.

Then again, I did buy a soft drink, some snacks, and a cup of coffee -- which he kept offering to refill throughout the remainder of my trip.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 01-25-2005).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad Amtrak changed their policy so now one can bring on some elaborate picnics. European trains let you bring food onboard. So Amtrak is behind the times with the strict policy. Anyways this is a great move for those who do not want to spend loads of money i.e coach passengers.

Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
European trains don't in general have a lounge car, so it's not a valid comparison. Only posh excursion trains might do, like the Orient Express - and I doubt they let you bring your sarnies into the dining cars.

Letting you eat your own food upstairs is a good compromise, especially for families that want to eat together, don't want to get crumbs on their coach seat, etc.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bringing your own food is a tradition as old as railroads. As noted, it also is quite prevalent in Europe.

During the sixties, when I was able to travel on all the major Western Routes (the MILW got away from me), it seemed to me that more Coach passengers than not 'brought their own". Somehow, I'll bet more than one Pullman passenger did same.

The practice has also spread to air travel, considering that I think you have to fly overseas in order to be fed nowadays.

However, I recall that at one time Amtrak experimented with Snack Bar prices either meeting or beating 'roadside MickeyD's'; today, it appears they only meet 'Food Court MickeyD", and FAIK, could be approaching "sports arena' prices. The apparent rationale was they could keep the cars cleaner and lessen the possibility of one having to be withdrawn for a "cycle" in the event a fumigation was necessary away from the periodic E-cleanings.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eat your own food at your seat in coach and nobody will bother you!

------------------

Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Christiansen
Member # 3604

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Christiansen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason given 2 weeks ago, preventing eating in the lounge, was FDA regulations. Which is just a polite way of saying NO. Though with the way it was worded, and based on what I witnessed, I thought it applied only to the lower level of the lounge car -- where the snack bar was.
-mike

Posts: 50 | From: New Hyde Park, nY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought a roommette on the Southwest Chief a few weeks ago.

My attendant called the people who stayed in coach "the chicken people" because he noticed that they had a way of leaving chicken bones under the seats after they left the train.

It has been some time since my attendant actually worked the coaches. He had been working the sleepers for some time now but the name still stuck in his brain: "chicken people."

As a dedicated and experienced chicken person, I must say that there have been very, very few occasions in which I have actually eaten food at my seat. 95% of the time I ate it in the observation and nobody ever hassled me.

It makes no sense to me at all why anybody would want to eat food at their coach seat. Not only does such behavior strike me as rude as talking on a cell phone (the wafting aroma of food can't help irritate other people who might be hungry) but the consumption of food creates crumbs (as well as chicken bones, I suppose) and that has a way of gathering bugs, vermin and other unpleasant critters.

The only thing I will consume at my seat is tea and wine. Everything else is consumed in the observation car.

Of course, these days, having reached an age of reason, I eat in the diner and cafe. Quite frankly, I'm tired of living like a refuge.

By the way, if you don't have anything better to do, I invite you to visit my website and sign my guestbook. This week, the subject is "skateboard parks."
www.freewebs.com/chucksville

[This message has been edited by Chucky (edited 01-31-2005).]

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chucky:
He called them "the chicken people" because he noticed that they had a way of leaving chicken bones under the seats after they left the train.

Unfortunately, slobs have a habit of becoming even more slovenly when riding trains. For some reason, the Crescent and the New York-to-Florida trains seem to be particularly favorite haunts for onboard litterers.

I've boarded Amtrak coaches that looked as if they'd been caught in the crossfire during a food fight. I've also spotted some of those aforementioned chicken bones under the seats -- along with enough KFC packaging to close a landfill. Extra crispy anyone?

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen people leave a cramped Superliner bathroom with rappers of an entire meal in there wake

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ
EMD455@Blue-Rail.com

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sunset Limited has been called the Chickenbone Express by Amtrak employees for many years now.I think this name started in SP days.
Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page