RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » hotel rec in Chicago?

Author Topic: hotel rec in Chicago?
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I overnight in Chicago while taking the Lakeshore Ltd and the California Zephyr, I was wondering what hotel people recommend. Is the Crowne Royal good? I'm looking for something reasonably priced, in a safe neighborhood, not too far from Union Station--don't care about luxury as long as it's clean and comfortable. Also, is it OK to stay downtown on weekends, or is it dead? Thanks
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best recommendation I can make is the Club Quarters on Adams Street near La Salle and the Rookery Building.

I believe its rates are in the $125 range.

Although it's open to anyone with less than maxed plastic in the pocket, most of their clientele seems to be corporate "lesserlings", the CEO and entourage stay up along the "Mag Mile'.

Rooms are spartan yet offer standard amenities (no walk down the hall for facilities; it is not a hostel), but clean and safe. A woman I know (a Middle Manager) recently stayed there and reported to me it was clean and safe.

They have a website; I believe bookings can be made through the various web travel pages if that is the route you choose.

Downside: they do not have any travel rewards program, although if you subscribe to one through your credit card, I can't think of any reason that would not apply..

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panamaclipper
Member # 3058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for panamaclipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto for the Club Quarters. It's a nice place and about halfway between the station and Michigan Avenue. Whatever money you'll save by going to a cheaper place further away you can spend on cabs and such. It's a short walk and straight shot from the hotel to the station. Online hotel booking sites usually have a deal on the Club Quarters.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Christiansen
Member # 3604

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Christiansen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can only suggest one hotel, the one Amtrak put me up in: The Crowne Plaza @ Allerton. Its on the "mag mile". It is a short cab ride from Union Station (cost 8 dollars going, 6 coming back). I loved the hotel -- it was beautiful and comfortable. They have a "good night sleep" campaign going on which included brand new beds, lots of comfy pillows and a sleep kit, which I pilfered and used on the way home (eye mask, ear plugs and lavender spray (which I didn't use)). http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/cp/1/en/hd?hotelCode=CHIAL
-Mike

Posts: 50 | From: New Hyde Park, nY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dilly's Tip of the Day:

If you're on a budget, and want to get a lot more hotel for your money, try bidding for a room on Priceline.

According to the Bidding for Travel web site, Priceline bidders are currently getting rooms at the Hyatt Regency on North Michigan Avenue (a short bus or taxi ride from Chicago Union Station) for $55 a night.

For bidding tips:
www.biddingfortravel.com

To actually bid:
www.priceline.com

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might want to consider the Holiday Inn & Suites Downtown. It's just 0.3 miles (walking distance) from Union Station. The rates are $120 to $160.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the recs. Club Quarters sounds ideal, but as far as I can tell from their website, only members can book, and to become a member one's company has to use it frequently. Are you saying I should phone the hotel directly and they will give me a room even though I'm not a member?

The Holiday Inn starts at $169 in August--too high for me--maybe you got a better seasonal rate, CK? The Crowne Plaza at Allerton is around that much too, except a little lower on weekends. The other Crowne Plaza, which seems closer to Union Station, does have a lower rate on Fridays and Saturdays, though I'm not sure that's when I'd arrive. But it's not that much lower.

Does anyone know anything about the Best Western or Red Roof on E Ontario? They seem to have the best prices, though they are further from Union Station. Is that distance gonna create big cab fares? What is the neighborhood like? I gather E Ontario is a hectic street but as long as it's safe, I don't much mind that. There is also a Comfort Inn further W on Ontario, but that was nearly $50 higher.

Regarding priceline etc, dilly, I am afraid to use those on-line sites because of all the restrictions, including fees if you cancel or change plans. I do really like to be booked and know the rate far in advance with the option of cancelling close to or on date of arrival, the way regular hotels allow. I suppose I can make a long-term reservation, then check the on-line sites for a better buy and cancel my previous reservation if I can find something--I never do that when I'm traveling but as Chicago is my first stop, maybe I'll look into it. However, I cannot budget for a rate I won't know till close to my travel time.

Thanks again for all your help!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not aware of any Membership prerequisite to use a Club Quarters hotel, Ms. Sojourner.

The lady I noted (I've known her for at least 15 years; her "other half' since college) is with a large insurance company, so perhaps that Membership detail simply had no reason to 'surface'. in the course of my "how was your trip, dear?" conversation with her.

Possibly Membership is either waived in cases of "supply and demand', or 'built in' when they are dumping rooms off on a travel web site such as follows:

http://www.tomorrow-web.com/usa/il/chicago/club-quarters-central-loop.htm

At the link, I "continued" as far as possible without providing billing information and did not note any screen saying "Membership Required; Apply Here".

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 01-31-2005).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, here's the deal with Club Quarters. Sunday through Friday, only "members" can stay there (members meaning employees or invitees of sponsoring companies -- Club Quarters is sponsored by a number of large corporations that got tired of paying high prices for hotels).

Friday and Saturday, anybody can stay and the rates are lower too. Rooms are, as noted by Mr. Norman, Spartan but clean.

There used to be a couple of hotels on Halstead Street, not far west of Union Station. One was (is) the aforementioned Holiday Inn; the other was a Ramada or something (don't know what it is now). That's a reasonable area, and walking distance to the station.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:
Regarding priceline etc, I suppose I can make a long-term reservation, then check the on-line sites for a better buy and cancel my previous reservation if I can find something

That's what I do when I travel -- book a "backup" room at the regular price, and then try Priceline once I'm absolutely sure my trip is going to happen.

I've never paid more than $55 per night through Priceline, even when staying in Chicago, L.A., and San Francisco. The hotels have always been decent -- they're usually Hyatts, Sheratons, or similar.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Thanks, all. Dilly, I guess I'll try that! If I could spend just $55/night for the sorts of hotels you mention, I'd travel a heck of a lot more!!!
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Like EBay and other online phenomena, Priceline has "quirks" you have to learn to navigate, especially if you hope to score a hotel room at the absolute rock bottom price. Naturally, those quirks aren't explained on Priceline's own web site, so most users are unaware of them. Many Priceline customers who make successful bids should have actually bid far lower.

So if you've never gone the Priceline route before, be sure to check the Bidding for Travel website I mentioned in my earlier post. It's unaffiliated with Priceline and filled with tons of useful information.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 02-03-2005).]

Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Amtrak crews currently stay at the Best Western on E. Ohio. Corporate rate there is about $89, a little more if you are a street walk-in. Location is very good. As to the Halsted Street hotel that Rresor mentioned, it had many names; the last was Rodeway and was also called Roachway by the train crews that frequently domiciled there. It is out of service. The windows are all plywooded over there now; hopefully it will be completely refurbished. It's right in Greek Town and walkable from CUS.
Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page