RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Rental Car availability at Portland OR train station

Author Topic: Rental Car availability at Portland OR train station
SouthernServesTheSouth
Member # 2284

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for SouthernServesTheSouth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can arrange to pick up a rental car at Portland's Union Station?
Posts: 68 | From: Lynchburg, Virginia USA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A review of their website suggests that Hertz has some kind of facility at Portland Union Station.

To what extent it is staffed and what selection of autos they have on hand, I know not.

But one thing to be mindful of if you have not recently rented, is to get ready for a little "sticker shock'. While I cannot readily compare the $63/day that I noted for a full size at PDX, I do know that Florida, from just completing a arranging a "fly 'n rent' trip, is no longer "bargain basement haven' for auto rentals. I can readily and happily recall the $99 a week "days of recent yore', nowadays, try on some approaching $99 a DAY for size.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouthernServesTheSouth
Member # 2284

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for SouthernServesTheSouth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Gilbert,
I went online with Hertz and arranged for a vehicle on the day of our arrival. I will need it only for one day. They have a facility there at the station. One-day rental with tax and no insurance is $35 with unlimited miles.

Since I will be dropping off the car at the station at noon and the EB doesn’t leave for several hours, do you or someone else on this board have any suggestions for sightseeing close to the station? What is the closest light rail stop to the station?

I plan to drive to the coast, never seen the Pacific.

My wife and I are taking the Empire Builder from Chicago to Portland and returning the next day. Looking forward to seeing the northwestern US in late May.

Posts: 68 | From: Lynchburg, Virginia USA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might want to try the Trainweb link to Chris Guenzler's site. With his extensive rail travels I would imagine that one of his travelogues would discuss things to do in Portland.

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Christiansen
Member # 3604

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Christiansen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you like books spend the whole day in Powells bookstore! It is the most amazing bookstore I have ever been to (and I work at a bookstore). I spent a good 5 hours browsing and easily could spend another 5 more in the sections I missed! Downtown Portland is easily within walking distance of the train station. When you exit the station, just keep walking in the direction that it spits you out (you will pass the Greyhound station). This is NW 6th St. Continue walking in this direction and you will hit downtown. Its a small enough area so you can wander around and still make it back to the station in time (I use the traffic light method of wandering -- always follow the greens when you get to an intersection). To get to Powells just stay on NW 6th until you hit Burnside, then make a right. Powells is 5 blocks away. You can't miss it!
You also might want to check out the China town area. Apparently they have some nice gardens, which I found out about after I left Portland.
have fun!
-Mike

Posts: 50 | From: New Hyde Park, nY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iowamomofsix
Member # 3695

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for iowamomofsix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding seeing the Pacific in Oregon.... It's such a beautiful place to see the ocean for the first time. However, it can be really windy and cold. The last time we went was in the month of August. It was cold and very windy that day. So windy it might as well been Chicago. The wind nearly blew the door off of our Corolla. Make sure you bring a jacket, just in case.

Also, if I remember correctly, it took us double the time to get to the coast then the map led us to believe. The traffic around rush hour times can be stop and go almost all the way there, no matter which route you take from Portland, and the roads are like mountain driving in some spots because of all of the hills the highways have to wind around, so give yourself some extra time. Our last trip put us behind schedule several hours because we weren't prepared for the traffic or the roads. You might want to plan your trip to the coast to be an overnighter.

Sorry to give unsolicited advice. My parents live in Oregon, so I guess I think I'm an expert.

Have a great time.

Debbie

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Portland Museum of Art is well worth a visit and their cafe serves very good, reasonably priced food. Check out the Portland Visitors Bureau website (sorry, I don't have the URL handy) for lots of up to date information including transit maps. Union Station and most of downtown are in a fare-free zone so you won't have to pay to use public transit.

If you are traveling in a sleeper, the Metropolitan Lounge at Union Station is very comfortable with a good view of the tracks.

Frank is still trainless SBA.

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
afternoonhiawatha
Member # 2566

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for afternoonhiawatha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though your time in the Northwest will be brief, hopefully it will be memorable. As was mentioned in a earlier post, you will want to factor in possible delays due to traffic when driving to/from the coast. Our family enjoyed an extended stay in the Newport area during our Coast Starlight and EB trip to the Northwest in 2001. Lots of pretty scenery, good food, and a variety of places to stay. Well worth the drive! Seem to recall it took us close to four hours (with a stop at an interstate rest area) to drive from Newport to the Hertz office in downtown Portland -- not too shabby considering our party consisted of two adults, two young children, and a senior citizen dependent upon a walker and wheelchair. Our drive from Newport to Portland was via a connection with I-5 at Corvallis.
Posts: 13 | From: Dubuque,IA,USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an aversion to driving into major cities and airports to pick up or deliver rental cars. I am travelling to Portland, on the Coast Starlight, this summer and I was thinking of driving over to the coast. Are there rental car outlets in smaller communities near Portland, such as Tigard, Beaverton, or Oregon City?
I was in downtown Portland a couple of years ago. I tried to get directions to Powell's bookstore, but wound up in one of their smaller satellite stores. I think I missed their major store..can you tell me the street address? Thanks.

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouthernServesTheSouth
Member # 2284

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SouthernServesTheSouth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys and Gals, thanks for all of the great information on Portland and the coast.

I am hoping to arrive on time in Portland and get to see a little of the area around the station before picking up the car at noon. I have reservations at a Hampton Inn that we can check in for a quick rest and then head west to the coast that afternoon before the rush hour begins.

I will have to turn the car in at noon the next day and that will give us several more hours downtown before we depart for Chicago.

We are traveling in a Sleeper, room (E) both west and east. Does anyone know if the Empire Builder remains in Portland overnight or does it turn around the same day?

I wish it was May now, I can’t wait to “hit the rails”

Michael Christiansen
Member # 3604

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Christiansen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
check out www.powells.com for the street address. They have 7 stores in total, the main store, is hard to miss: it's the ENTIRE block (and then 4 levels)!
-Mike

Posts: 50 | From: New Hyde Park, nY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page