RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Can Amtrak Be Saved?

Author Topic: Can Amtrak Be Saved?
jimdim8151
Member # 3592

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimdim8151   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to early reports, President Bush wants to stop subsidizing Amtrak completely. Previous US leaders have attempted similar actions but Congress has always seen fit to reverse the President's decision.

Would it do any good for those of us on the forum to write to our Congressman in support of Amtrak?

I haven't even used Amtrak yet, although I'm leaving on 2/13 aboard the SWC for San Diego.

Why did I choose Amtrak over driving or air travel? I am single, no kids, and I want to be able to just sit back, relax and enjoy my trip. I don't care that I could have taken a plane and arrived in 2+ hrs to my final destination. I chose not to drive because that takes away from my ability to relax and enjoy my first trip West of Iowa (I live in the Chicago area but have traveled as far as Iowa so far).

Call me a romantic (Ok you're a romantic!) but there's just something appealing about being able to travel by train.

Is it worth writing to my congressmen? Am I hitting the "panic button" too soon?

Posts: 20 | From: Romeoville IL | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak can be saved just like some companies. With the right budget comitee and the right attitude Amtrak will be here for years to come.

Just imagine the Superliner 3 series like we have the new Boeing 787. Amtrak is in need of a major overhaul regarding their equipmet.

BTW Is there a website on Superliners from the Bombardier Company that makes the cars? I would like to see more shots of the interiors of the Superliner 1 and 2 cars. If you could point me to a 360 tour of a Superliner 2 car that would be great as 360360.com only has the Superliner 1 car. I want more interior shots of the coach car.

Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jim - YES YES YES!!!!! Write to your Congresspeople! It is never too early or too soon to write in support of AMTRAK. If I had the time, I would write to mine. Congress is the entity which votes for the funding of AMTRAK, NOT the President!!
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you mean, RRRich, by "if I had the time"??? With over 500 post on this board to your credit in less than two yrs it's hard to see how not finding the time to send 3 emails amounts to anything other than complacency. Please MAKE the time to email your 2 senators and lone representative!! If you live in a state that funds passenger rail travel you could add those policicians to the list, arguably more effectively because of the smaller numbers involved to dilute your voice.
As I see it we basically have two things to do: Use the product (i.e. buy Amtrak tickets) whenever it is a reasonble option, and make as big a noise as possible aimed at our representatives who will make the choices.
SO LET'S DO IT!!

Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob Dehlinger
Member # 3700

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob Dehlinger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!

Or join various lobbying organization such as NARP or some of the State organizations. Numbers speak loudly!

Presidents (including Democrats) have played this game for 34 years and still have not succeeded. many Republicans support Amtrak and make sure they get funding.

BTW, check the News Releases section at the Amtrak Web site. You will see how big an increase there has been on the California routes (15% or better). Also note that BNSF is putting BIG money into the Heratland Flyer Route!

Cheers,

Rob

Posts: 33 | From: Arlington Hts,IL | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Dehlinger:
Hi!

Also note that BNSF is putting BIG money into the Heratland Flyer Route!

Hi Rob,

Since I've not yet said so, welcome aboard.

I've come across a number of your posts and can tell that you're well informed with the issues passenger train supporters have dealt with for literally decades now. Your input is welcome. I don't suppose you'd want to run for congress would you?

One reaction to your latest post; I read (perhaps at the NARP website but I don't recall) recently the state of Oklahoma's support for the Heartland Flyer was in doubt beyond this current fiscal year. Again, not sure where I saw that but it has been within the last month or so.

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob Dehlinger
Member # 3700

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob Dehlinger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello david:

I am no expert, just an aging Amtrak-fan

I had not heard about that, but since the train has set still ANOTHER ridership record, it sounds a bit "fishy." I resepect NARP, but sometimes they have not always got it right. However, they are the longest-lived and best-organized passenger train lobbying organization in the US!

Meanwhile, in Illinois, our DEMOCRATIC Governor (Sorry, could not resist) has come out for support of O'Hare expansion and a new airport way down in Peotone, IL. (The people in Champaign won't use it, they have their own. The people north of there have Midway and a newly developed airport in Gary?) No mention of how much money is being sunk into Amtrak lines (Which, of course, would largely aliviate airport overcrowding)

Supporting Amtrak is NOT rocket-science!

OL, I will get off my soapbox now!

Cheers,

Rob

Posts: 33 | From: Arlington Hts,IL | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak will continue to limp along from year to year as it has always done until such time as these politicians relinquish their control to transportation professionals.

------------------
"Good ideas are not adopted automatically. They must be driven into practice with courageous patience." -- Hyman Rickover
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Dehlinger:

support of O'Hare expansion and a new airport way down in Peotone, IL. (The people in Champaign won't use it, they have their own. The people north of there have Midway and a newly developed airport in Gary?) No mention of how much money is being sunk into Amtrak lines (Which, of course, would largely aliviate airport overcrowding)

I'd be interested to see what impact the new rail station at the Milwaukee airport is going to have.

My summer activities generally call for at least one or two trips to Madison, WI. I have alternately flown or taken the train to Milwaukee (as preferred to Chicago Union Station or O'Hare) and then taken Badger Coaches on the final leg.

Would be nice if the Midwest initiative comes to fruition......then I could fly to Milwaukee and catch a train to Madison.

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Toy,

Politics is about power, so as far as the politicians relinquising control to transportation professionals, not likely to ever happen. In some ways I'm no so sure that the "professionals" would do that much better since most are almost exclusively road and air oriented in their background and thinking.

About all the engineering profession can hope to do in routing decisions is to take the politically drawn lines and tweak them enough to make them function.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NYRailFan
Member # 2692

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for NYRailFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Write and Email everyone. I started with Mr. Bush (president@whitehouse.gov) and I will write and Email the members of congress.
Posts: 26 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak better be saved because if it isn't, there will be no way to see all that great scenery in New Mexico and Arizona---those great mesas and sand stone mountains. Nothing beats a train trip for scenery unspoiled by grim grey highways!
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What the perfect NEC solution,

1. Train schedule is convienient-reliable-flexible for travelers

2. The cost to to get from NY to Bost or NY to Phil or Wash or even Bost to NY will be comparable to driving the car.

3. The time it takes to get to the above cities is within a favorable time interval versus taking the car or plan.

i.e a person who lives in the NY Metropolitian will catch the MetroLiner and arrive at Union Station, catch public transportation and arrive at their final destination at a cost versus getting to LGA, EWR or JFK get on a plan and arrive at Dullus or Reagen Airport and get downtown and compared to getting in a car and driving.

Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Measuring the cost of driving an auto is wide open to differences. Do you simply measure fuel (there are no tolls Boston TO New York; one in the reverse), fuel and maintenance (easily $.15/mi), or fully allocated (fuel, maint, depreciation, insurance, capital).

With an auto, the question of "how much does it cost" is kind of like the answer one would give to a dictator "how much, dear leader, do you WANT it to cost?".

Simply for what it be worth, I think Amtrak is quite price competitive in the NECorridor, 'in the league" for Auto Train and LD Sleeper, a giveaway in LD Coach.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page