RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » ORD SWC Connection

Author Topic: ORD SWC Connection
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too tight?

Flight arrives ORD at 2:04pm

SWC departs Union Station at 3:15pm

Provided the flight is on time, is that enough time to get a cab from OHare to Union Station and catch the SWC to LA?

Thanks

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, is the CHI Metro Lounge open 24/7?
Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
O'Hare is about 25 miles from the Loop. Without traffic, it will take you around 30 minutes. Yes, I think the connection is *way* too tight.

First, in my experience (and I fly a lot), airlines are rarely on time. They *almost always* push back a few minutes late, and often land a few minutes late. You're got a few minutes, period, in your schedule.

I'd suggest that you allow at least three or four hours between plane arrival and train departure.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Thanks. I agree. I found an arrival at Noon. Is there an L connection from the airport to Union Station? And, is the Metor Lounge open 24/7?
TheBriz09
Member # 3166

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBriz09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, there is an L connection - in fact it's a direct shot on the Blue Line from O'hare to the Clinton street stop. CUS is about two blocks north of the Clinton street stop on the blue line. Check out the L map at http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/maps/F2004D.html
(CUS is on the left side in the middle).

Posts: 93 | From: Batavia, IL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iowamomofsix
Member # 3695

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for iowamomofsix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. Too tight. I've gotten frustrated trying to go somewhere in Chicago that should take 30 minutes, only to get there in 60, and that was on a Sunday afternoon. How I wish we could work out our train/flight connections! Then I'd take Amtrak on my vacation this spring.

Debbie

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree also, way too tight. Don't forget that checked baggage can take an age to come off a plane. I assume it's a domestic flight rather than international?

As for the Metro lounge, I can only put 2 and 2 together and hopefully come up with the right answer. The station hours are 05:30am to 10:30pm; the lounge is open "during station hours". So, no, it's not open 24 hours.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Noon should give you enough time to take the El. Just don't bring too much luggage.

The El trip takes roughly 45 minutes to the Loop, and a few minutes longer to Clinton Street, which is actually west of the Loop, so you'll ride right down Dearborn Street and then under the Chicago River a second time before the train stops at Clinton.

Just follow the signs at the O'Hare terminal. The El station is underground, closest to Terminal 2 but accessible from all.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page