RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » What will happen....realistically?

Author Topic: What will happen....realistically?
Capltd29
Member # 3292

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capltd29   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The current situation is rather grim looking for Amtrak. Amtrak has been in tough situations before and obviously...they have survived.

What do ya'll predict will happen this time?

Will congress save them again or will this administration finally succeed in what their predecessors attempted to do?

Hopefully the latter will not play out....
Just asking for thoughts?

I am just worried and I was looking for predictions from other Amtrak fans to try and cheer me up.

Thanks,

JP

Posts: 143 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Merl
Member # 3251

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Merl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do I think about it? I'll tell you, I don't think much of it at all. We have three representatives and two congressmen in my state, a very heavily republican state, that know they would lose their job if they approved the budget Bush has thrown out. It is more then the Amtrak portion, he wants to take funding from farmers, support for the middle class, support from the lower class. Yet he does not want to hurt his wealthy friends.

This budget will go nowhere because I can guaranty most congressmen care more about getting reelected then passing his budget. They will throw the whole thing out and do what they do every year, give Amtrak just enough to get by another year.

ETA: forgot spellcheck

[This message has been edited by Big Merl (edited 02-08-2005).]

Posts: 88 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you ever forget spellcheck, Mr, Merl.

In an agrarian State such as yours, I think there are larger issues "on the plate" than whatever happens to Amtrak and its "one a day' that chugs each way substantially accross the length of Nebraska (your domicile, incidentally, is quite public record at your website).

Once again as I have noted, Amtrak will get a "B+".

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 02-08-2005).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak getting just enought o get by on is not taking it anywhere, it needs a new beggining.
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Merl
Member # 3251

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Merl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman, perhaps I didn't potray my views quite the way I meant to. I tried to say that the budget for the government as a whole is so full of bad cuts to the majority of the population that they will throw the whole thing out. As Congress rebuilds it to one that will keep their jobs, they will treat the normal minor details the way they always do. Give them just enough to shut them up. Amtrak is one of those minor details.
Posts: 88 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually that is how I read you, Mr. Merl.

There are a "few' cuts proposed, namely in the area of agricultural price supports, that are going to impact "a few" more Nebraskans than whether 5 & 6 chug through the State, mostly during "somambulist' hours.

I hear you loud and clear; good luck!!!

GBN

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hehcooh
Member # 3694

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hehcooh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
somnambulism - an abnormal condition of sleep in which motor acts (as walking) are performed
Posts: 27 | From: Northeast Ohio | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak was created when I was 18, I'm still around at 52, and Amtrak is still around at 34.

I think there is a real need to have a public policy discussion on what sort of service Amtrak should be providing, rather than following the "limp along" strategy of recent years (actually, it's more like a "slow starvation" strategy). If the Bush budget generates this sort of discussion, that will be a good thing.

As for farm subsidies, I recall a joke about the Agriculture Department. A visitor saw one of the bureaucrats sitting at his desk, sobbing his heart out. He asked, "What happened to him?" and was told, "His farmer died".

For a number of reasons, including the impact that subsidized sales of farm products have on attempts by Third World countries to feed themselves, I favor the elimination of such subsidies. I do not, however, live on a farm.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Capltd29 is right, Amtrak has gotten out of Sticky situations before, hopefully they can do it again, but could be at the cost of another long Distance Route, you wanted to know what would happen realistically, My Guess is Amtrak will struggle through it's money troubbles again making existing Equipment last longer, postponing repairs, and possibly loosing a route, thats my 2 Cents

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ
EMD455@Blue-Rail.com

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Merl
Member # 3251

Member Rated:
I have studied economics of agriculture and it is more then Nebraska impacted. Many states are based on agriculture, so it is more then the five Nebraska voices. As a senator from North Carolina about farm subsides and the impact on his state. Ask the same question to a representative from any part of California that isn't the urban sprawl along the coast. As for the ones in the cities, ask them about how comfortable they would feel about getting reelected cutting into Medicaid/Medical. This is an economically bad budget being pushed, because it relies on Trickle Down Economics to work. History has taught us that under Trickle Down, the money doesn't do as intended. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer and middle class America gets hurt the most.

Congressmen concerned about their jobs (since lets face it, how many are really concerned with doing the right thing?) are for the most part going to be against the current federal budget, and it will be rebuilt from the ground up, with most of the key cuts restored. If the president wants to make cuts work, he will have to pick ones that impact a lower percentage of people. Unfortunatly for us, Amtrak is on that list, but it has proved to be safe in the past, and my gut tells me that nobody wants to actually be the one to pull the lever on it so it will stay that way for now.

Now for those into economics, I would be curious to see what cuts you think are likely to be made. I think most will agree that federal highway funding is always the easy target, along with schools. The Military is pretty safe from cuts right now. I think the next two years are going to lead to larger deficits as nobody will agree on funding. It will take a split congress, with probably the Senate going Democratic, to get the budget lining up. The simple reason? Both sides will publically fight for their parts then and force a balance to look good in front of voters. It has nothing to do with sound fiscal policy, just staying in power.

Rob Dehlinger
Member # 3700

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob Dehlinger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!

A note from the "incurable optimist" here.

See the news release from Mr Gunn on the Amtrak Website under Press and Media. I like this guy, he seems to be a fighter! (Wonder if he had an easy time of it on the Pennsy?

Mr Reagan, as much as I liked him, tried this from 1981-1986 and got virtually nowehere with it. There are many Republicans who are Amtrak supporters and they are not all on the great plains!

Write Mr Minetta, Mr Bush, congress, etc.

Let them know that it is the fault of the legislatures and short-sighted vision that has caused this, NOT bad management. (Although George Warrington needs to take SOME of the blame)

Here is an analogy that, while humorous, also illustrates a point:

Lets pretend that Amtrak is a person.

1) Amtrak we are gonna start you up with a broken leg.

2) Amtrak, you ain't doin' your job, so we will break the other leg.

3) Amtrak, you are getting stronger, we can't have that! So we are gonna cut your food rations!

4) Amtrak, whatcha doin' on the floor? Lazy bum, have to cut your food ration off to get you to perform!

I like Mr Bush in many ways, but he is CLUELESS on this issue!

Cheers!

Rob

Posts: 33 | From: Arlington Hts,IL | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This budget is so messed up that Bush has almost everyone fuming, including many Republicans, though most won't admit it openly. Bush is cutting something for everybody, but paying more for foreign aid and other "adventures" abroad. That isn't going to go over any better in Nebraska than Massachusettes.

The Nebraskan Senator may care more about farm subsidies than he does about Amtrak. But the Massachusettes Senator probably cares more about Amtrak than farm subsidies. To save one, each will appeal to the other. "I'll vote for your's if you'll vote for mine" is how things really work in Washington.

------------------
"Good ideas are not adopted automatically. They must be driven into practice with courageous patience." -- Hyman Rickover
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capltd29
Member # 3292

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capltd29   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to everyone for there replies.
I think Amtrak will once again almost starve but wont.

JP

Posts: 143 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rY.
Member # 3528

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rY.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly and cynically, I can't help but wonder if this is a case of Bush Co. "breaking everything" so that when the final budget is MUCH bigger, he can claim that the deficit is the fault of Congress and their "pet projects".

*sighs*

Posts: 108 | From: Culver City, CA, US | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rob Dehlinger:
[

Here is an analogy that, while humorous, also illustrates a point:

Lets pretend that Amtrak is a person.

1) Amtrak we are gonna start you up with a broken leg.

2) Amtrak, you ain't doin' your job, so we will break the other leg.

3) Amtrak, you are getting stronger, we can't have that! So we are gonna cut your food rations!

4) Amtrak, whatcha doin' on the floor? Lazy bum, have to cut your food ration off to get you to perform!

Hey Rob: You've come up with what I think is a great analogy!!! I'll take the liberty of adding a couple more -

Hey, Amtrak. Take your empty plate and sit across from all your airline relatives who have full plates and may go to the buffet for more anytime by crying out I don't have enough. And don't complian about no utensils or rusty utensils eitrher or I'll take your plate away.

Hey, Amtrak. Go sit in the public clinic and wait and get sicker, while your airline and auto industry relatives get free health insurance and immediate service at the best hospitals. And we'll transport them there, too. Time and again.

Hey, Amtrak. See the sign up there that says "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone"? Go sit on that siding until I give you permission to move. Who do you think you are anyway??

This all strikes me as simlar to the elimination of trolleys and rail systems around major cities in the 50's and 60's in favor of roads for buses and cars. Now we find ourselves needing more rail mass transit and fighting to find space in our cities to put the rail lines. I think shutting vs dramatically increased funding is disasterously short-sighted. Course we're sermonizing to the choir here. To the streets (tracks?), group. The heck with letters.... I wax nostalgic for the sixties...

Thanks again Rob...

Ira

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page