RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » URPA still operational?

Author Topic: URPA still operational?
superchief21
Member # 3724

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for superchief21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know if the United Rail Passenger Alliance is still going? There hasn't been anything new posted on their site in almost 2 months and they haven't issued anything concerning the 2006 budget which really suprises me.
Posts: 2 | From: Riverside, CA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
URPA seems to be down to just a few members, and not particularly influential anymore. They have had a lot of interesting ideas, many of which I agree with. But they lost a lot of followers with their endorsement of Bush's plan for Amtrak, their criticism of other advocacy organizations as sheepish "lapdog organizations," and harsh criticisms that David Gunn is perpetuating the mistakes of his predecessors, and thus no better. They've alienated a good portion of the rail advocacy community.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MOKSRail
Member # 3163

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MOKSRail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A long time ago I signed up to receive their newsletters.

This one pasted here is from a few weeks ago. I reposted it online because it had some good arguments and data regarding the relatively low funding cost and high load factors of the LD trains.

Selden has long been an advocate.

However, the next newsletter I received, the writer again started going after advocates with the prejudicial terms.

Therefore, I do not necessarily agree with everything this organization does. I'm not a member. I'm a NARP member. I used their information to support LD trains.

The column and contact info found here...
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/Passenger_Rail_News/message/2637

[This message has been edited by MOKSRail (edited 02-09-2005).]

Posts: 78 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superchief21
Member # 3724

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for superchief21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also find some of their ideas quite interesting but I do beleive the whole Gunn bashing and other things need to be toned down a bit. Some of the criticism seems too dogmatic at times and not really practical.
Posts: 2 | From: Riverside, CA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Small world. I went to Sunday School with Andy Selden of URPA. He is also President of MNARP and writes some pretty extensive and interesting articles in their local newsletter.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is and always has been a major aggravation of many in the US. We see the entire country pouring money into a rail system that benefits primarily the richest portion of the country, while we get one train a day (if that!) in the middle of the night. How much ridership would the NEC have if New York city was served by one train in at 3:00 am that drifted down the track at an average speed of about 40 mph?

OK, "pouring money" is somewhat of an exageration, but the imbalance is still the point.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I have a question: What is meant by the term "load factor."

I refer to Mr. Richardson comment,

"In FY 04, the Northeast Corridor accounted for about 30.4% of system
output (long distance trains produced 48.3% and the other short distance
services about 21.3%). The NEC had 56% of system passenger revenue (based
on the very high prices), while the long distance trains had 27.7% and
the other short distance trains about 16.2%.

"NEC load factors appear to be about 45%, long distance 69% and short
distance about 37%. (The data is a little less clear for this.)"

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Load Factor:

Revenue Passenger Miles
______________________________=Load Factor(% tge)
Available Seat Miles

In short, how "full up' is your transportation conveyance????

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 02-10-2005).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page