RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Democrats and Replicans Working Together on Budget Cut

Author Topic: Democrats and Replicans Working Together on Budget Cut
iowamomofsix
Member # 3695

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for iowamomofsix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know until I read this article that Mineta is a Democrat and it looks like this budget cut is across party lines in the administration. Also, looks like what Mineta planned in 2004 is being carried out. This article explains the plans pretty well, I think.

Transportation secretary says states will have to

« on: Dec 10th, 2004, 4:37pm » Quick-Jump Reply w/Quote Modify

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mineta lays out second-term agenda

Transportation secretary says states will have to pay larger share of Amtrak costs
Stewart M. Powell, Hearst Newspapers

Friday, December 10, 2004

Washington -- Transportation Secretary Norm Mineta, named Thursday to serve in President Bush's second-term Cabinet, vowed to press a controversial plan to overhaul Amtrak financing in order to end "a drain on the budget."

Mineta, 73, the former Democratic mayor and House member from San Jose, said in an interview that he would work to win congressional approval for the pending plan to reduce federal spending on the government-subsidized rail system by shifting a greater burden to states served by Amtrak on the East and West coasts.

Federal assistance for Amtrak ought to be on the same basis as federal assistance for highways and metropolitan transit systems, with the federal government paying a smaller share of the costs, Mineta said.

"There ought to be a local-share component in the financial support of those railroad services," Mineta said.

Mineta said Bush backs the hard-nosed plan requiring states to pay up -- or lose service.

"If a train goes through a state and that state is not willing to pony up the state's share, then we would run the train through that state, not stopping and keeping the doors closed," Mineta said.

The transportation chief said he intends to "deal with the long-term longevity of Amtrak," which receives $1.2 billion under Bush's latest annual budget -- about $600 million less than Amtrak requested.

Mineta conceded that he was "quite sure we'll find resistance" in Congress to the plan. But he added: "We have spent something like $37 billion on Amtrak (since its inception in 1970). It has been a drain on the budget, and we haven't really improved services in a major way. I want to make sure that we keep this system safe and provide a good service."

Ross Capon, executive director of the National Association of Railroad Passengers, said states already shoulder a significant portion of Amtrak's capital expenditures. Mineta's plan would merely "take the bill for existing railroad service and dump a greater share on the states" when states need more generous federal support "to take railroad service to the next level," Capon said.

Of the $417 million Amtrak invested in capital improvements in fiscal 2003, the federal government provided $268 million, leaving the remaining $149 million to be financed by states, localities and borrowing.

"The rhetoric the administration is using just doesn't match up to the reality," Capon said. "This plan would be the death knell for expansion of railroad service."

Amtrak enjoys wide support in Congress, which created the federally subsidized network after the demise of private passenger rail service in the 1960s. Lawmakers with Amtrak trains running through their states or districts represent a formidable lobby against any attempt to reduce service.

Amtrak operates as many as 265 trains each weekday, serving nearly 66,000 passengers at more than 500 stations in 46 states along more than 22,000 miles of track.

Mineta's plan calls for gradually handing over control of Northeast Corridor tracks between Washington and Boston to a coalition of states.

Mineta also said his department would coordinate with the Department of Homeland Security on a variety of aviation safety assignments outlined in the sweeping overhaul of the U.S. intelligence system approved by the House and Senate and awaiting Bush's signature. Mineta has responsibility for 60,000 employees and a $57 billion budget, including the Federal Aviation Administration.

"We will be working from an operational safety perspective with (the Department of Homeland Security) on this," Mineta said, without going into detail.

The assignments include screening all individuals with access to secure areas of airports against the governmentwide terrorist watch list and having the FAA conduct "airworthiness and safety certification" of any anti-missile defense systems adapted for use on the nation's more than 6,800 commercial aircraft.

White House spokesman Scott McClellan on Thursday announced Bush's decision to keep Mineta and three other Cabinet secretaries for the second- term Cabinet, including Interior Secretary Gale Norton, Labor Secretary Elaine Chao and Housing and Urban Development Secretary Alphonso Jackson.

Bush also announced his selection of former GOP Chairman Jim Nicholson to replace Veterans Affairs Secretary Anthony Principi, who resigned Wednesday.

The latest Cabinet announcements showed Bush had carried out one of the most sweeping Cabinet overhauls of a second-term president in generations, replacing nine of the 15 members of his first-term Cabinet.

Bush has announced replacements for most of the posts, all of whom are expected to win easy confirmation by the Republican-led Senate in January. Mineta, so far, remains the only Democrat in the Cabinet. He served as commerce secretary in the Cabinet of President Bill Clinton.

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 486

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Jesse   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does Amtrak carry freight? Would that help them out with revenue? Or even mail freight? If they need better financing they could look towards these ideas just as a budget cushion. There has to be some way to possibly deal without these subsidies. Carrying freight would even increase the competition between other companies like UP, NS, and CSX.
Posts: 106 | From: Hilton NY USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Debbie,

Mineta gives the Democratic Party a bad name. His ideas are ludicrous. It's interesting how the article didn't even deal with the subject of the long-haul trains. Once Mineta has created civil war on the east and west coasts, he will, no doubt, deliver the final blow to the long hauls.

The enemies of Amtrak harp on the $30 billion dollar figure like it's breaking the country's back. Trains only account for less than 1% of the overall transportation budget.

The logic that the administration (that includes Mineta) is using to destroy Amtrak is really sickening. One point they constantly point out is that the Federal government might as well give a Jetblue ticket to everybody who chooses to climb aboard Amtrak. How do you fight that sort of logic.

This is how I approach it. I believe that subsidies generally benefit a small group of private interests. Amtrak is subsidized, true, but it has the potential to benefit anybody who wants to climb aboard. Rich, poor, everybody is welcome to indulge.

It's not up to the federal government to tell us how we should travel. I can't jump on Jetblue and there are plenty of people terrified to get on an airplane. Our reasons for taking the train are perfectly legitimate and should not be scoffed at. Meanwhile, Greyhound (God forbid I should ever have to travel by Greyhound), has cut over 260 stops in the West during the last year alone. Travel options are becoming more scarce and more expensive.

One could rightfully ask, why does the Government want to shut down Amtrak? My take is that Amtrak takes away business from the airlines and since this administration is firmly logged in the pockets of the airlines, it makes sense that they should want to shut the trains down.

Jesse, forget about mail and freight. It's been tried before and Amtrak just stopped doing it, in the last year. They lost money. They also created enemies among the freight companies: The people who provide the tracks on which most of Amtrak runs. That's called a conflict of interest.

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mineta ticks me off....

He is whining about Amtrak's $30 Billion over about 35 years and totally ignores the YEARLY $34 billion subsidy for the national highway system. And that $34 billion is over and above the taxes received from the gas tax!

I wonder when he will address the $34 billion shortfall for roads and the $14 billion shortfall for air transportation and the $6 billion shortfall for the waterways?

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mikesmith:
Mineta ticks me off....

He is whining about Amtrak's $30 Billion over about 35 years and totally ignores the YEARLY $34 billion subsidy for the national highway system. And that $34 billion is over and above the taxes received from the gas tax!

I wonder when he will address the $34 billion shortfall for roads and the $14 billion shortfall for air transportation and the $6 billion shortfall for the waterways?

Mineta is the worst Transportation Secretary we have had. EVER.

Mineta is merely a "Yes Boss Hatchet Man".

Mineta is the token Democrat who Bush placed on his Cabinet to demonstrate his willingness to put together a 'bipartisan' team. Mineta didn't even get the call in 2000 until after Jim Hunt, North Carolina's former Democratic Governor turned down an invitation to be Secretary of Education. (Hunt said that he could not be effective in the position because he believed his Democratic leanings were too ingrained for him to be sufficiently respected by other members of the Bush administration.)

That the token Democrat on the Cabinet is the Transportation Secretary speaks of how comparitively unimportant transportation issues are to this White House.

That Mineta would even suggest running, say the 'Sunset Limited' across, say, Texas without making any passenger stops if Texas doesn't pay it's share of the cost just shows how out of touch with reality he is.

The train couldn't make it across the state without stopping to refuel. Imagine a gang of nicotine addicts becoming violently hostile if denied a smoke stop in Texas....particularly as the train keeps going into the hole for an hour at a time to meet UP freights. I'd like to send those folks to visit Mr. Mineta. Don't scoff: When I lived nearer to Raleigh and Charlotte I was a volunteer train host for the NCDOT. One of my worst trips was when a lady in Business Class vented on me for "taking the smoking car off this train." Four or five more like her and the entire crew might have been taken hostage!

My guess is that railroad executives inwardly roll their eyes when Mineta lays out his plans for 'private contractors' to operate passenger trains over their lines in a post Amtrak environment. Kind of like "This guy doesn't have a clue and who is he to think he can tell us what we're going to do with our railroad."

Those who are more attuned to what is being spent where could correct me if I'm wrong BUT it seems to me that the total dollar amount Amtrak has spent since it's inception in 1971 is in it's entirity still less than what the airline industry has received in Federal 'Loans' since 9/11/2001.

The term 'loan' here should be applied loosely. With a number of major airlines which include (but is not limited to) United, Delta, and US Air STILL on the verge of bankruptcy, that 'loan' money is never going to be repaid. The Feds should be honest with us and call it what it is....a "bailout". But then doing that would mean having to admit that the airline industry is more heavily subsidized than Amtrak. That's not going to happen because that would be inconvienent in the pursuit of their real political objective....terminate Amtrak. That's been the plan all along but not something this administration had the nerve to try until after being re-elected.

That members of the administration are still saying to the press that "No other form of transportation receives a federal subsidy" REALLY, REALLY bothers me.

That they would be so dishonest in trying to accomplish their objectives vis a vis Amtrak (an admittedly small issue for many Americans) suggests that they wouldn't hesitate to be blatantly dishonest about something big....like starting a war.

OK..........rant off. Thanks. I can breathe again.

------------------
David Pressley

[This message has been edited by notelvis (edited 02-13-2005).]

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't think of when there has EVER been a SecTrans that has brought solid industry credentials to the Chair, Mr. Presley.

The Chair is simply considered a "reward'job; prior to creation of the DOT and when the Post Office was Federal agency reportng to the President, Postmaster General was usually such.

With Bush, reward has been "broadened' to include a 'bipartisan' approach. In short, Norm is not there and evidently survived into the second Administration, because of the industry credentials he brings to the table, he simply "looks good' (a Democrat, a Japanese American, not aware of him being associated with any scandal).

There has really only been one Secretary that has brought industry credentials to the table, that was Alan S. Boyd, the first Secretary appointed by LBJ. He subsequently became Amtrak's third CEO.

Somehow, I thought Gerald Grinstein, Delta Airlines CEO, might have been looking to pull the ripcord over there, but I guess either he had not paid enough 'dues' or maybe someone thinks he can still pull Delta out of its tailspin.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 02-13-2005).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
I can't think of when there has EVER been a SecTrans that has brought solid industry credentials to the Chair, Mr. Presley.

[]

I cannot agree with you more Mr. Norman. Thanks for pointing this out to me!

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob Dehlinger
Member # 3700

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob Dehlinger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!

Amtrak tried the "freight thing" with bulk express. It slowed the trains down and did not make a significant contribution to the overall revenue picture. This was mainly because the cost of leasing, buying and/ or maintaining the equipment was more than it was worth.

I think Mr Minetta is in for a rude awakening.

Cheers!

Rob

Posts: 33 | From: Arlington Hts,IL | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Intelligent politicians can be hard to find. But don't forget, since B#$h put one easily-swayed conservative democrat on his panel that he's a divider, not a uniter.
RRRRRRRRRRGH!

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"If a train goes through a state and that state is not willing to pony up the state's share, then we would run the train through that state, not stopping and keeping the doors closed," Mineta said.

What an idiot! The Bush administration wants Amtrak run in a more businesslike manner, and that is all well and good. But this statement would never have been made by a businessman. Only a career government bureaucrat could have thought that one up. If a train didn't stop in one state, the potential for sales would be greatly reduced, and the need for subsidies would increase dramatically. How counterproductive (and unbusinesslike) can you get?

A year or so ago I watched a congressional hearing on C-SPAN which discussed the subject of Bush's plan for Amtrak. Claudia Howells, then head of Oregon's DOT rail division, testified that multi-state funding compacts, as proposed by Bush/Mineta, are very easy to conceive, but extremely difficult to implement.

Naturally, with such information before the committee, the plan never went anywhere.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lest we forget, Bill Clinton also "went there" with the bi-partisanship, however, Clinton chose not simply to "token' it with something like SecTrans.

Sec Defense William Cohen, former US Senator (R-ME).

Despite the apparentlack of support from the military community towards the Clinton Administration, somebody did something right. Remember we waged an "aerial" offensive" in Kosovo without a single US casualty. Further, while I can't be sure, I would not be the least surprised if the relatively successful and casualty free offensive against the Taliban government in Afghanistan was likely formulated during the Clinton/Cohen tenure.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 486

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jesse   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't past Presidents tried to give Amtrak the ax? And it always fissles out in Congress time and time again. The Republicans in Congress aren't so crazy about cutting Amtrak off either. Let this issue get to Congress...Amtrak will keep going...
www.wagplow.org

Posts: 106 | From: Hilton NY USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
...while I can't be sure, I would not be the least surprised if the relatively successful and casualty free offensive against the Taliban government in Afghanistan was likely formulated during the Clinton/Cohen tenure.

This is going off topic, but since you brought it up, from what I have read it is my understanding that this was indeed the case. Towards the end of his term Clinton did have plans to invade Afghanistan, but didn't carry them out because he didn't think it was wise to start a war then immmediately hand it off to his newly elected sucessor. Plus, at the time an invasion would have been difficult to sell to the masses. But the plans were in place for Bush to take advantage of (and take credit for), after 9/11, when the need was clear to all.

Now to make a weak attempt to steer this back on topic, I think this illustrates Bush's shortcomings. Programs he has thought up on his own, including his plan for Amtrak, haven't met with nearly as much success.

------------------
"Good ideas are not adopted automatically. They must be driven into practice with courageous patience." -- Hyman Rickover
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isnt Mineta from Clinton's presidency?

I dont really like him, but there could be someone much worse!

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The negativity and cynicism here (even from Mr. Norman!) are getting a bit tiring.

Mr. Norman, what about John Volpe, the first SecDOT? He was a highway builder, and I think that counts. They've named a transportation research center in Cambridge, MA for him.

What about William Coleman, Jimmy Carter's SecDOT? He was a Philadelphia lawyer who had been involved in the Penn Central bankruptcy, and his department's publication, "National Transportation Trends and Choices" is still a useful reference work (Clinton staff all proudly carried it while attempting to formulate coherent transportation policy in the 1990s).

The Republicans have been less successful. I can't even remember Ronald Regan's SecDOT.

But the fundamental point to make here is that Amtrak has limped along now for nearly 35 years. We need to try something different. There are states now putting money into passenger (and freight) rail improvements without ANY assistance from USDOT. This doesn't seem to me to be an altogether ridiculous approach (and I've been in the railroad business for 28 years).

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by rresor:
the fundamental point to make here is that Amtrak has limped along now for nearly 35 years. We need to try something different. There are states now putting money into passenger (and freight) rail improvements without ANY assistance from USDOT. This doesn't seem to me to be an altogether ridiculous approach (and I've been in the railroad business for 28 years).

It would be difficult to imagine a different model for delivering intercity (and interstate) passenger rail service at this point.......simply because this is the one we have had for 35 years.

Imagine the possibilities (both good and bad) had a different model for subsidized rail passenger service been established at the beginning......for instance, what if it had been decided that the DOT would establish an 'essential' basic national route system......probably very similar to the original Amtrak route map.

Then, rather than Amtrak, the freight railroads would have continued to operate their own passenger trains which had been designated 'essential' over their own systems. For their trouble they would have received a proportionate (but meager) federal subsidy (ie: x $ per passenger mile or some such factor) combined with a generous package of tax breaks.

Imagine that. Would what has survived until now been better or worse had a model like I've suggested been implemented? How would mergers in the freight industry have affected what we now have?

Just curious. No negativity...no cynacism...just wondering.

------------------
David Pressley

[This message has been edited by notelvis (edited 02-15-2005).]

Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just make sure that no matter what you think that you have made contact with your senators, congressmen, governors and Bush telling him that you do want Amtrak to continue with full funding and a full viable national long distance system!

------------------

Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob Dehlinger
Member # 3700

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob Dehlinger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!

Brock Adams was the Secretary of DOT under Jimmy Carter, and we saw what HE did???

John Volpe, while a highway man, WAS an Amtrak supporter!

Drew Lewis (Now the retired Chairman of Union Pacific) was Secretary of DOT under Reagan and while initially he was anti-Amtrak, as I recall, he changed his mind. But then, he did not stay through Mr Reagan's second term either.

Let's not get into issues about the Middle East and stuuf here? I get enough of that at some of the other non-Railroad forums I belong to!

STAY OPTIMISTIC!

Cheers!

Rob

Posts: 33 | From: Arlington Hts,IL | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MOKSRail
Member # 3163

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MOKSRail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Dehlinger:
Hi!

Brock Adams was the Secretary of DOT under Jimmy Carter, and we saw what HE did???
Rob

I agree with Rob here. CARTER's administration was perhaps the worst toward Amtrak.

It's DOT ORDERED Amtrak to cut routes - not because of any rational thought or low ridership (remember, this was during the ENERGY CRISIS), but simply to save money.

Thus, another case of the Feds interfering and trying to destroy Amtrak by cutting IMPORTANT LD routes such as CHI-Texas, CHI-FL, CHI-SEA, NYC-OHIO-STL, and others.

Of course, successive DOTs weren't any better
(gutted DEN-SEA, SALT LAKE-VEGAS-LA) and had they had their way, would have totally eliminated Amtrak like the so-called Democratic DOT figure head that occupies the position now.

Here's some information on the nefarious doings of that Carter DOT and how it butchered Amtrak's 7th most patronized LD route at the time.

I'm sure there are many Kansans, Oklahomans and Texans still made at that mistake.

Excerpt from a long article...
http://www.okcbusiness.com/news/news_view.asp?newsid=4336

Dean Schirf, vice president of government relations for the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce, said politics helped Oklahoma lose service for 20 years beginning in 1979.

He recalls solid usage of Santa Fe’s Texas Chief prior to Amtrak taking over the national passenger rail system in 1972, and afterward when Amtrak’s Lone Star took over the route.

Schirf said Oklahomans, especially senior citizens, complained when the service that flowed all the way from Chicago to Oklahoma to Houston shut down.

“We should have never lost it,” Schirf said. “Political decisions were the demise of our train … At that time, we were in a time of transition and didn’t have a lot of political clout in Washington D.C. … Train routes that survived seemed to have a lot of political clout.”

Posts: 78 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page