RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Taking a chance on the SL......

Author Topic: Taking a chance on the SL......
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiebreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Decision time is coming up for another Sunset Ltd. adventure from Florida to Oregon. Does anyone know how that beleaguered train is doing lately? I was a day late getting home last summer and was bused a lengthy distance from near LA headed up the Pacific Coast.

Love the route, but the same problems have plagued my trips for the past four or so years.

Posts: 133 | From: Florida, U.S.A. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrakk_flyers
Member # 3738

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrakk_flyers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Took it last sat night from Tucson to LA, train was about 2 hours late. Had a sleeper entire crew was awesome, attendents, dining staff etc. Nice short trip.
Posts: 5 | From: san diego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtk507
Member # 3083

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtk507     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doing pretty much about the same, which is to say late, although I haven't seen anything drastic (like 12 hrs or more) lately. Although nothing says I couldn't have missed one!

Strong rumor afoot for a shcedule change for the Sunset, 8 hrs earlier out of LA going east, and 2 hrs later our of San Antonio going west, with longer wait times at stops in between. If true, there will be no more gauranteed connections with the Starlight, which usually ended up in the bus ride you mentioned anyway.

In any event, just plan for an overnight stay in or near LA in both directions to avoid a repeat performance. Yes, I agree crew and service on my last few rides were great too, and I still think the scenery on this route can't be beat (well, almost!).

Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ten weeks today I'm going the full length of the SL east to west so here's to hoping. Just one thought, if there is a major schedule change does Amtrak contact customers to tell them or are they expected to check for themselves? OK, so I look at Trainweb two or three times a week and get my information here, but I daresay many less aware passengers could get a surprise if they turn up and find their train gone!
Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenchappell
Member # 2245

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenchappell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like you Mr Williams, I am from the UK.

A couple of years ago I was booked WAS - CHI - SFO & SEA - CHI and there were some MINOR (10 minutes if I remember) changes to the times on a couple of the legs of the trip.

Amtrak emailed me to advise me of the amendments
so hopefully you should get notified if there are any changes.

Best of luck on your trip.

Posts: 28 | From: Bristol England | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page