RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Article in today's St. Louis Business Journal

Author Topic: Article in today's St. Louis Business Journal
Robkno
Member # 3722

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robkno   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bush Administration pushes reform for Amtrak

I thought some of you might be interested in this.

--------------------
Visit Rob K's Place

Posts: 11 | From: Jefferson City, MO, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A private rail infrastructure company maintaining the NE corridor worries me. It reminds me of the disastrous fiasco which happened in Great Britain when private enterprise assumed the maintainance of the rails. Will someone please enlighten me as to how this plan in the U.S. will prove better than it did across the pond in Great Britain?
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JFB
Member # 2520

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JFB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could enlighten you with Thomas Paine or Voltaire. With the reasoning behind NEC partial privatization, I cannot.

A privately-held infrastructure company under contract to theorecical multi-state "compacts" is convolution, not reform, of Amtrak. We trade a corporation that maintains the NEC at cost for one that expects to profit from it.

Posts: 60 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talking to some friends with friends in UK involved in the railways, the change to separate entity to maintain the railway has hugely increased the cost of maintenance and served to decrease train reliability. It it is an example of political posturing unalloyed by reality.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouthernServesTheSouth
Member # 2284

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SouthernServesTheSouth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea, they should hire the bunch that put in the "Big Dig" or was it "Big Ditch" highway in Boston. They really know how to soak the goverment. They would start by eliminating every other cross tie and then boast of cutting maintance cost by a half.

Can't someone in the federal and state governments try to take a non political look at the problems faced by Amtrak and all other passenger transporting rail services.

We need this alternative to airlines and buses.

Look at the week following 9-11-01. If you didn't live near a passenger railroad station, you had to rent a car to get to your long distance destinations.

We have only one train through our city, 5:45 A.M.north bound and 11:00 P.M. southbound.

It't time we cought up with Europe and had better inter-city rail.

Comeon Uncle Sam throw some money at the railroads for a change. We spend too much money bailing out the airlines. Let them try to exist without governement handouts.

Posts: 68 | From: Lynchburg, Virginia USA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page