RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » What is going on really?

Author Topic: What is going on really?
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am looking at the several threads regarding the possible privatization of Amtrak, and frankly I am very confused on the probability that this will happen and when we will know 100%. I have already heard that amenities on some trains may be discontinued. I really hope Amtrak stays Amtrak, because it would be so sad if it changed for the worse into something else. What will happen to Amtrak?!
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IF Amtrak went kapput---assets would be liquidated most likely (sold to pay off it's debt).
I wouldn't count on the Bush/Mineta plan passing Congress: Amtrak still has too many supporters on both sides of the aisle.

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really, Mineta and Bush are pulling a political stunt to get attention. Really, Congress isn't going to pull the plug on Amtrak, or on the other 153 programs targeted for cutbacks or elimination, because their jobs depend on providing government services to their constituents.

As a way of getting Congress's attention, the stunt has worked. In one sense this could be a good thing, since Congress really doesn't have its act together on Amtrak. Maybe something positive will come out of this.

But make no mistake, political stunts should never be confused with competent policymaking.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well thats good.
I sure was confused...I just made an expensive reservation for this Spring and I would not want to see a different amtrak with less quality etc.

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CS99, Amtrak is perfectly safe this year. It is for next year's budget that Bush and Mineta are playing games.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't get complacent yet! We have to fight the Bush administration until we win! Keep calling and writing your members of Congress!
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maxmarch
Member # 2495

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxmarch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not about to enter the political conversation... I have my views and for now they will stay that way... However, I do share the concerns as many have regarding potential less-than-par service as the year winds down... My family of five is heading out on a Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder trip in mid-summer. The last thing anyone at Amtrak needs to do right now is trim back their service(s) and, more importantly, their attitude... my hopes are wtih the fine folks at Amtrak.
Posts: 43 | From: Cape Coral, FL | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ummm.. Pojon, did you see Meet the Press this last Sunday morning?

Senator Biden and Senator Santorum were both stating that Amtrak won't die, although Santorum is under the false impression that long distance trains lose a lot of money.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SuperFudd
Member # 3775

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SuperFudd   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if long distance trains don't lose money, it is not from lack of trying (to lose money). The rumored schedule change for the Sunset Limited in and out of L.A. will deep six the connection from the Coast Starlight. For instance my family was going to take Amtrak from San Jose Ca. to Crestview Fl. in October but we can't if the schedule change happens.
We have taken this trip twice before. Out of San Jose around 10AM and into L.A. with a couple of hours to go out for dinner across the street, then into our sleeper for the 10:30 departure with a wakeup in Arizona. Quite pleasant. Soon to be quite imposible. [Mad]

Posts: 4 | From: Union City Ca. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by SuperFudd:
if long distance trains don't lose money, it is not from lack of trying (to lose money). The rumored schedule change for the Sunset Limited in and out of L.A. will deep six the connection from the Coast Starlight. For instance my family was going to take Amtrak from San Jose Ca. to Crestview Fl. in October but we can't if the schedule change happens.

Well, this is of no comfort, but I doubt Amtrak is actually losing money with this change for two reasons. First, if it inconveniences some, the improved timekeeping will probably make up for it with others. Second, if the anecdotal report presented under another thread is true, that Amtrak turns away half of the people who seek sleeping car space, then if Amtrak loses a few customers, it still comes out with more than it can handle.
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't become complacent but the reality of congress letting Amtrak collapse is not very probable but don't stop sending your congressmen, senators and Pres. Bush letters showing that you do not want Amtrak's funding to diminish.
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page