RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Rode the Acela, BWI-Philadelphia 30th St

Author Topic: Rode the Acela, BWI-Philadelphia 30th St
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, these aren't fighting words! I travel back east on business (by air), but when I get a free weekend I sometimes ride the trains "over there". On Saturday 2/26 I rode the Acela round trip to Philadelphia 30th St station.

The Acelas are not that much faster than the Metroliners but they are quieter inside.

It is interesting that the riders on the NEC tend to be more serious/quieter than the ones on the LD trains. It seems a lot easier to strike up a conversation with a stranger on an LD train as opposed to an NEC train. {No foam; honest!}

I support a full Amtrak (LD + NEC + Corridors) and part of my vote is through riding the trains...
MP

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the Northeast, Mr. Palmer.

My address may show Chicago area, but the NE is where I'm from.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MPalmer,

Might be that the NEC are used to a commuter atmosphere when traveling on a train I'm sure the LD is more of a vacation get up move around chat in the dinning room type enviorment.
Also wondering if the extra charge for the acela was worth it compared to the metro-liner. When I travel by train its not for buisness so I'll just catch an earlier train just to save money. Wondering if other Riders in the NEC feel the same way? The speed of the trains are restricted within much of the NEC because of local commuter lines while the acela looks like a bullet train the infrastructure is not built for it.

Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tanner929:
Also wondering if the extra charge for the acela was worth it compared to the metro-liner.

I rode 2250 & 2251. The northbound 2250 was 70% full at BWI and packed north of Wilmington. I love that 100 mph+ running, mile after mile. [Back home, the Surfliner has a few miles of up-to-90mph running through Camp Pendleton, but that's as close as we get]. The Southbound Acela had a decent load too; on that one I splurged on first class. First class probably isn't worth it for a short hop outside of mealtime. The bar was open, and they had a decent selection (Bailey's on the rocks, thank you), but "everything in moderation", no? Phila. Club Acela was disappointing; the free internet service is disconnected.
I agree with your other comment; people on LD trains are generally on vacation (or at least less of a rush) so are more likely to engage in conversation.

MP

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was glad that I'd splurged on First Class on my trip BOS/WAS last month. Business Class was packed. I don't believe there was an empty seat. (This was on a Saturday when there's only one Acela BOS/NYP.) Since I was by myself it was nice to not have to share a seat (Seating is 1-2) and the meals and drinks helped to make for an altogether nice trip. I found, too, that people weren't all that interested in conversation except for the woman behind me who was on her cell phone all the way from Boston to NYP. At one point the attendant asked her to make her calls from the vestibule.

Frank in SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used a $100 travel voucher from Amtrak to ride an Acela from Boston to Washington. It was a Sunday afternoon and the train was packed. Nice ride..very futuristic trains. Riding in the lounge area going through southern Connecticut into New York was exciting.The train reminded me of the Cascades inthe Northwest.I appreciated the quiet cars.

I don t think I would do it again. I did want to experience the Acela and Im glad I did. Just a little too expensive for my blood.

--------------------

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the the biggerst hinderence in taking the Acela is the price. From my hometown, New Haven CT I see alot of college students boarding the trains especially on holiday periods. I know they are looking for low prices. I've talked to some bio-tech people who have taken the train between NH to Bost and Washington and say that many of their companies will not spend for the Buisness class or Acela so they must get up early or "Drive." Airlines have realized that in competitive or in fiscially tight industries they will send their people coach. The Acela must have a similiar set up like an airplane, The passangers that pay coach are still on the same plane as the first class passanger right?
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page