RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Vranich in The NY Post

Author Topic: Vranich in The NY Post
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joeseph Vranich author of "End of the Line" writes in todays NY Post about danger in the Hudson River tunnels on the aniversary of the Madrid bombing. He then goes on to his call for privatizing Passanger trains. His numbers never seem to vibe with the numbers I see at this site or on some government reports. I would really like to see some debate on the advantages of Privitization v current system.
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And now....here's Joseph!!!!!

http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/opedcolumnists/40890.htm

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't get past the first 3 paragraphs. How does that world class liar get any media attention?
Oh wait.... I know... Journalism is the dumbest profession on this planet....

{Yea?... got a better explanation?}

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrakrrider
Member # 2138

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrakrrider     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Makes me sick and sorry to say only 4 years ago I was a republican.
Posts: 2 | From: san diego, ca usa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe Vranich sure seems to be in enough reporter's Rolodexes (whoops, Blackberrys nowadays) as an "Amtrak Expert".

Once again, lest we forget he was employed by Amtrak in their Public Affairs Dept during the 70's.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yikes, his first sentence fails to pass the ridiculous test. If it sounds ridiculous it probably isn't true.

The rest of his commentary was straight from the Department of Pointing Things Out to Terrorists. (DOPTOTT).

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tanner929:
I would really like to see some debate on the advantages of Privitization v current system.

There are no advantages to privitization. Private industry is not lining up to operate long-distance passenger trains. If there were money to be made there the freight railroads wouldn't have let that cash cow go in the first place.

The 'land-cruise' concept such as American Orient Express or the Rocky Mountaineer would leave us with a very few lavish train rides that the average American could not afford to step aboard.

Privitization would leave us with costly corridors in some parts of the country and nothing in between. (Note that Mineta is only holding press conferences in places that might stand to retain some medium-distance passenger service!)

Essentially, privitization would mean the end of affordable common carrier passenger trains that one could use to travel any significant distance. The remaining 'system' would not interconnect.

This is why we rail passenger advocates are so alarmed right now. A national rail passenger system is under serious threat and we can't understand how something so essential could be so easily cast aside.

David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
he was employed by Amtrak in their Public Affairs Dept during the 70's.
Anyone know why he left that job? If his departure wasn't entirely "amicable," it could explain a great deal. Hell hath no fury like a suddenly "ex" employee, and some guys never quite get over it.
Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Toy:
Yikes, his first sentence fails to pass the ridiculous test. If it sounds ridiculous it probably isn't true.

The rest of his commentary was straight from the Department of Pointing Things Out to Terrorists. (DOPTOTT).

Yes, Mr. Toy, However, I must to disagree with you about the "rediculous test." "Sanity test" or "does this person have any contact with reality test" would be more like it. Where is this competition that Amtrak "bullies its way past." If anything, the commuter lines are holding Amtrak hostage, not the other way around. Would we really need 4 tracks between New York and Washington that Amtrak is maintaining without the commuter service?

As to your second point, in wartime target spotters for the enemy, and that is what this is, are correctly regarded as traitors, and in the past had a great potential to be taken out and shot. On a non-military level, this is like publishing a list of women that live alone in a area terrorized by a serial killer. Many people in engineering, and hopefully also in security and law enforcement can think of a number of ways that things in our infrastructure can be used against us by the terrorists, but to identify the weak points in public serves no beneficial purpose whatsoever.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just rode one of the empty trains through Montana yesterday. It was sold out. Considerable numbers of people who wanted sleepers were turned away, including me.

There were enough people I talked to who wanted sleepers to fill another car. If they had one. And this is one of the lowest travel times of the year.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am glad to see some good debate here,

TwinStarRocket,I just rode one of the empty trains through Montana yesterday. It was sold out. Considerable numbers of people who wanted sleepers were turned away, including me.

Here is a business problem that might be a problem unique to Amtrak

Being sold out is nice but if they have no ability to add sleepers then they are losing money right? or at least missing a revenue oppertunity. If Riders book or ask about booking long enough ahead wouldn't a business want to look high and dry for servicable sleeper cars?

Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding Vranich's comment that the Rocky Mountaineer took over the "money-losing" route from the government (meaning Via Rail)is simply untrue. Via Rail was forced to sell its profitable Rocky-Mountain-by-day route by the Conservative government of Brian Mulroney. In other words because a private operator wanted that route, Via Rail was forced out of operating a profit-making enterprise. To this day Via cannot operate its Canadian over the CPR because of the Rocky Mountaineer's friends in government. So much for private enterprise coming to the "rescue" of passenger-train service.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by royaltrain:
To this day Via cannot operate its Canadian over the CPR because of the Rocky Mountaineer's friends in government. So much for private enterprise coming to the "rescue" of passenger-train service.

The Rocky Mountaineer is the example of a lavish train that is not providing 'common carrier' passenger service. I'd love to ride it someday but first class carriage on VIA's 'Skeena' and even the 'Canadian' is more economical. It's hard to justify the extra $$$$$$$$ so long as regular passenger trains with similar scenery are still available.

David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page