RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » New FRA Administrator Nominated

Author Topic: New FRA Administrator Nominated
TheBriz09
Member # 3166

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for TheBriz09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The White House announced the nomination for Administrator of the Federal Railroad Administration is Joseph Boardman. In particular, here's a quote from the Associated Press:

quote:
"Joe Boardman is an excellent pick to re-energize the slumping (FRA)," said [New York Senator Charles] Schumer. "He has told me that two of his priorities would be saving Amtrak and strengthening our weak rail safety and security system."
Comments? Sounds like a positive thing to me, overall. I looked up the previous Administrator, Allen Rutter. I seem to recall him being not-so-friendly to Amtrak, but I could be mistaken about that. Anyone remember?
Posts: 93 | From: Batavia, IL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting that Dubya Shrubya would nominate someone who LIKES Amtrak, when he's trying to kill it... I hope that Boardman is a strong choice.
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I don't want to get my hopes up based on a sound bite, but it sounds hopeful. However, I am also cautious since Boardman is a New Yorker. He might be like many pro-Amtrak people in that region who think the formal name for Amtrak is the Northeast Railroad Passenger Corp.

Rutter wasn't too impressive. I saw him in front of a congressional committee once and he couldn't answer half the questions that were presented to him. After four years of him we have nowhere to go but up.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheBriz09:
quote:
"Joe Boardman is an excellent pick to re-energize the slumping (FRA)," said [New York Senator Charles] Schumer. "He has told me that two of his priorities would be saving Amtrak and strengthening our weak rail safety and security system."
Comments? Sounds like a positive thing to me, overall.
Not so sure that we have a winner here. It sounds like he may not only be missing the boat, but missing the lake. Both of his comments are actually very Northeast-specific. Our NATIONAL level railroad problem is primarily overwhelmed long distance freight corridors and the inability or unwillingness of the railroad companies to increase capacity fast enough. Our NATIONAL level Amtrak problem is an unreliable skeletal service with insufficient capacity to meet the demand that it does serve. One of Schumers favoite horses to beat is the safety of the New York tunnels. Sounds moer like an apointee who's backing senator has given the job of bringing the federal money into New York.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It does seem like Boardman wants to save Amtrak, but of course how one saves (We had to destroy the village in order to save it: as the old military philosophy goes) Amtrak is open to debate. With Gasoline going towards $2.50 a gallon what will it take for Americans to leave the car at home for a bit?
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railvt
Member # 1397

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railvt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This appointment may be a stroke of anti-Amtrak genius by Norm Mineta. Boardman and David Gunn were involved in a bitter dispute over Amtrak's refusal (based on budget constraints) to implement the long-planned High(er) Speed Rail project in New York. Amtrak refuses to run rebuilt Turbo Trains that New York paid to rebuild and refused to keep a promise to add the long-lost second track from Albany to Schenectady which is the worst obstruction to on-time operation between New York and Buffalo. There is a multi-hundred million dollar law suit between New York and Amtrak initiated by Boardman over this issue. A "betting man" might now want to speculate on how long Gunn could/would survive Boardman's ascendency at the FRA.

Carl Fowler
Rail Travel Center

Posts: 10 | From: Putney, Vermont USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Railvt:
There is a multi-hundred million dollar law suit between New York and Amtrak initiated by Boardman over this issue.

Can anyone say, "conflict of interest"?

quote:
Originally posted by Railvt:
Amtrak refuses to run rebuilt Turbo Trains that New York paid to rebuild and refused to keep a promise to add the long-lost second track from Albany to Schenectady which is the worst obstruction to on-time operation between New York and Buffalo.

Can anyone say, "Unfunded mandate"? Do not forget that as a systemwide priority for Amtrak, this was off the radar scope. It did not really do much for Amtrak overall, and New York did not want to pony up the money.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that Don Phillips has exited the scene, I give the award for best informed transportation reporter nowadays to the duo of Matt Wald/Michelene Maynard at The New York Times.

From having reviewed his reportage over the years, Mr. Wald is clearly pro-passenger rail. He recently noted in his coverage of the appointment (it should be easily confirmed by the Senate) that Mr. Boardman is 'pro-passenger rail" (note my avoidance of the term "pro-Amtrak").

Incidentally, Ms. Maynard's reportage is directed towards air transport matters, but then, I think 'more than one" around here follows the affairs of that industry.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like this is a argument for competitive balance. Perhaps we might look into a two system rail system. The needs of the NEC differ from LD routes. Perhaps the the New England and Mid Atlantic states can fund with help from Washington to build a regional "commuter" type system while LD would have a more Excursion type business plan. I think the states might be more reseptive if they no there money will be going to the system they use not worring about a fear of subsidising other areas.
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page