RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Anybody with local knowledge please, Orlando & New Orleans?

Author Topic: Anybody with local knowledge please, Orlando & New Orleans?
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Less than six weeks to my vacation, and I'm taking the Sunset Ltd all the way from Orlando to LA. I would appreciate any advise on the following:

Orlando: I am staying in a hotel near the airport the night before, so I will only be at the station for around an hour before departure. Are there secure waiting areas? Is the station area safe to wander around, or are their any safety concerns in the neighbourhood? Is there a "7-11" type store at or very near the station to get a few odds-and-ends (I would think a couple of large bottles of water wouldn't be a bad idea considering some of the horror stories I've heard with the sanitation on board!!)

New Orleans: I realise that this is highly unlikely given the SL's timekeeping, but there is a 2 1/2 hour layover at NO, and considerable padding in the last 50 miles into it, so there is a remote possibility that I might have a couple of hours to kill (I had nearly three hours in Albuquerque due to an early running SWC in 2003).
Are there any shops/stalls etc at the station? How far is the station from anything of interest ie within 10 - 20 minutes walk? I've read that the station is an a particularly "inhospitable" neighbourhood (the guidebook uses the word "dangerous" and advises taking a cab for even the shortest journey). Is this correct? To put this into perspective, I am 6 feet tall, 250 pounds with a military haircut and not an obvious target to any would-be assailant, but (especially in a strange place) I wouldn't put myself at any unnecessary risk.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are traveling Sleeper, which of course I sincerely hope is the case, bottled water (Dannon seems to be the "O" of the day) is placed in each room.

The Orlando station is near a large hospital; while the neighborhood is not the greatest, it is hardly the worst. The Sunset departs during broad daylight; even a 5' 100lb woman would have no reason to give personal security a thought.

As you have noted, there is a fair amount of "pad' in the Sunset's schedule into New Orleans (rode #1 ORL to NOL during both Feb '02 and again '04). The station building is "oh so fifties' but is 'adequately attractive". The Sleeper lounge, Magnolia Room, was recently attractively redecorated. Since New Orleans is "not exactly' a destination of mine, and once having visited the Ambrose D-Day Museum ('02), I had no reason whatever to leave the station on my '04 journey (making the 1-NOL-58 connection in both cases). Accordingly, i defer to others regarding "what to do in New Orleans'.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depending on how much time you end up with in NOL, you might walk over to Canal Street and ride one of the streetcars either up Canal to the Cemetery District or down to the riverfront. We took a cab to our hotel just out of the Quarter only because it was raining and dark when we arrived but the Quarter is walkable. The area between the station and Canal is a bit seedy but not anymore so than most large cities.

Frank in sunny and windy SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtk507
Member # 3083

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtk507     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not much in the New Orleans station other than a Subway sandwich shop. I don't agree with the guidebook's rating of the station area - it's not that bad. Go out the front doors and walk to your left (north) up Loyola street towards downtown and you'll be fine. Canal street is a few blocks up Loyola and offers the streetcar line as mentioned and all sorts of stores and dining. If that's too far then turn left off Loyola just a block or so from the station (just past the big Post Office building) into the Hyatt and continue into the New Orleans Centre, a 3 story shopping mall adjoining the Hyatt that will likely occupy an hour or two. Of course this all assumes the normal daylight business hours when #1 should encounter NOL.

If you are not running too late you will have some dwell in San Antonio as well. Unfortunately there is little to see or do in the vicinity of the station there, especially in the wee hours. Enjoy your trip!

Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Williams - the area around the Orlando station is not that bad, and, as someone else says, there are several buildings from the Orlando Regional Medical Center near the station. Orange Avenue is a few blocks east, and I believe there is a 7-11 or something similar not too far away, but I can't tell you the exact street intersection it's at -- ask the agents at the station. As far as walking around the station area, no problem, and the station does have a fairly large comfortable waiting room.

Concerning New Orleans, as others have said, if you are there during the day, I wouldn't worry about safety in the area around the station -- it is no worse than any other downtown area, but I would not wander too far at night.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks folks. Yes, I am travelling sleeper - I've got Room E in what used to be called deluxe. I booked it back last August for the astonishingly low price of $398. A standard bedroom cost me nearly that much on the Zephyr from Iowa to Reno a few years ago and it's only half the journey.
My main concern about the bottled water was if they ran out for the toilets and showers, as I've heard has happened on some trips!

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maxmarch
Member # 2495

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxmarch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When in New Orleans, and if you are a beef eater, you must try the cheeseburger at Port-of-Call... to die for! It is East of the quarter... ask the locals, they will direct you. Or, if you wish, click on this link... go to this link...

http://www.portofcallneworleans.com/location.html

The only credit card they take is American Express... so if you don't carry one of those, take cash.

Posts: 43 | From: Cape Coral, FL | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sure the Orlando station area is perfectly safe and may be more convenient to your hotel. However, you could also consider boarding at Winter Park--which practically adjoins Orlando, the stops are very close together, so I cannot imagine a taxi there would be too much money. Anyway, then you could walk around the green--it's very lovely (though more New England than Florida in appearance, if you ask me!) And there are some restaurants there from which you can walk to the train. Of course, if you decide to do this, I'd make sure to let Amtrak know so that they don't think you are a no-show and give your sleeper away!!!
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I certainly concur, Ms Sojourner, that downtown Winter Park, complete with the Amtrak depot, is indeed attractive.

Alight an Amtrak train there, and you can almost "smell the money'. Possibly you noted the "private banking' facilities of several major New York banks within sight of the depot.

Also to the South of town and visible from the train is Rollins College. That's where rich kids from the Northeast who could not (or would not) 'cut it' at the Ivies go. Their families still can have the consolation of knowing they are paying "Ivy League prices" in the process.

But all of that having been said, MCO is to the South of downtown Orlando, and to travel up to WPK "just to have lunch" (it is not served on #1;in fact there is no Food & Beverage service until after SFS as that is where the crew boards) would likely involve a taxicab ride even though LYNX, the Orlando municipal bus system, goes up there.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to pitch in another vote for a Winter Park departure. (I was last there for a wedding in December.) The downtown area is very tidy and there you could easily pass the time before departure visiting shops or finding a decent meal nearby.

Again.........make certain Amtrak knows ahead of time though so that you aren't counted as a 'no-show'.

David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page