RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Does this itinerary sounded doable?

Author Topic: Does this itinerary sounded doable?
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mary_228   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My DH, two children (ages 9 and 7)and I are planning to fly to Seattle where we will board the CS after a few days of visiting friends. I have booked two roomettes across the hall from each other. We will travel to San Francisco, where we will spend one night and the day of our arrival. Then it's onto another Amtrak train for a short ride to Sacramento, where we'll stay at the Delta King and visit the train museum. The next day it will be on to Denver via the CZ with family bedroom accomodations. This is our first Amtrak overnight trip, so I'm sure I'll be following up with more questions!

Does this sound crazy? I'd normally spend more time in SF, but we have a wedding to get to in Denver. We'll fly home from Denver.

Another question: Can anyone recommend which SF bus stop I should use? I have booked us to Fisherman's Wharf, which I know is touristy and suppose the kids will enjoy. How about the Ferry stop? Any thoughts about that area? I don't know SF and where we'd be likely to sightsee. I plan to purchase my hotel on priceline, so I'd like to make sure the area I try to get will be near an Amtrak bus stop to help us save $$.

Posts: 72 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, non-rail travel fans would say "too much time on trains", but I would think such is a "non-issue" with anyone participating here at this Forum.

Certainly appears to be a doable itinerary to me.

As for hotels in San Francisco, I defer to others as I not been near such in over fifteen years (not a boycott, just no reason), however, I think it is a fair statement that regardless of what you do, be prepared to part company with "heap big wampum'.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiernan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On my last train trip into the Bay Area--from Santa Fe on the Southwest Chief and San Joaquin--I stayed at the Jack London Inn, it's two blocks from the Oakland train station. The rates are fairly decent for the Bay Area. If you don't want to walk to the nearest BART station--Oakland City Center--there is a ferry from Jack London Square that will take you to the Ferry Building and trolleys run along the Embarcadero to Fishermen's Wharf. It's all much nicer since the Loma Prieta Earthquake.

www.eastbayferry.com

On my next trip to the Bay Area, I'm staying at a Travelodge at the Milbrae BART station, good rates and the BART and Caltrain stations are close. The Caltrain station is right out the back of the hotel.

My website has some pictures of the Oakland station and the Jack London Inn, which is on Jack London Square where there's a farmer's market on Sunday mornings. Unfortunately, the Spaghetti Factory on Jack London Square has closed--my favorite place to eat!--but something else might be there.

http://homepage.mac.com/kiernanholliday/PhotoAlbum19.html

Good luck with your trip! Sounds like a lot of fun.

--------------------
Kiernan

Posts: 155 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mary_228   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to my travel agent (a Golden Spike agent) the bus transfer to SF from the Emeryville station is free, so I figured we might as well take advantage of it. Also, the train we're leaving town on won't depart until our bus gets there, as opposed to us taking a cab and getting stuck in traffic that would make us miss the train.

That said, I'm just trying to find out which of the SF bus stops is best for tourists: Ferry Bldg, Fisherman's Wharf or SF Shopping Ctr (835 Market St).

Posts: 72 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiernan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ferry Building or Fishermen's Wharf, whichever one you want. SF Muni trolleys run back and forth between both, so it doesn't really make much difference. Where's your hotel? The ones around the Wharf are pretty steep, but if you're only spending one night it might not be a problem. With two little kids, I'd get off the bus where the hotel is. You can probably change which bus you take--it probably doesn't make much difference. Depending on how many passengers there are, it may be one bus going to all three stops and the driver doesn't care where you get off.

I think that you'd find that there are more hotels around the Wharf than the Ferry Building. I know that there's a Holiday Inn around there, but I can't think of anything else.

--------------------
Kiernan

Posts: 155 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
I was interrupted on the last one. The Holiday Inn at the Wharf isn't very expensive for a San Francisco hotel during the week. Weekends might be more. Take the bus to Fishermen's Wharf. You can eat some sourdough bread on the Wharf and ride the cable car over the hill. That's what I'd do. The crowds can get pretty bid at the Wharf, but you can watch the marine mammals. I grew up just north of the Golden Gate Bridge in Marin County--I'm more than willing to answer questions.

--------------------
Kiernan

DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Took Amtrak to San Francisco last November. Within two blocks of Fisherman's Wharf there are several Hotels. I stayed at the Tuscan Inn (Best Western). There was another hotel within a block but I do not recall the name. Try Googling the major chains --- then check for listings that state Fishermans Wharf. Pier 39 is also within a couple of short blocks ---- a fun place with food, entertainment and lots of shops.
Also the train I arrived on was late and due to the late hour Amtrak had the shuttle bus deliver us to the front door of our hotels.

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pismobum
Member # 2628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pismobum   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perfectly "doable". Pier 39 busstop is close to motels. 835 Market St stop is at the Embarcadero "high-rise" hotels. Nothing at the ferry building. 10-12 trains with bus connections from SFO to Sacramento each day, so no prob with "time" the next day. CZ mid-day at Sac also not a time challenge - everything should work out just fine
Posts: 114 | From: pismo beach CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mary,
The Grant Plaza Hotel is at the entrance of Chinatown and only a one minute walk from the street car (sorry, forgot which line but it takes you down in a few minutes close to the Amtrak bus stop at the ferry). It's a good hotel, more Europeans than Americans. Clean, and about $80 a night for a couple. Great location, though, and the cable car line takes you down to Fisherman's Wharf.

Your train itinerary sounds great. Enjoy!

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Thanks sutton, for the hotel rec. I was thinking that Chinatown would be a really "different" destination for my kids. Less touristy than FW, although we can do that area, too. Just wasn't interested in lugging our luggage far once we get off the Amtrak bus. Do you know if 4 can fit in the Grant Plaza Hotel?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page