RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Sleeping Car Questions

Author Topic: Amtrak Sleeping Car Questions
Amtrk14
Member # 3829

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrk14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Everyone,

I had a few questions concerning the Amtrak Sleeping Cars. My Grandparents and I are planning a Round Trip on the Coast Starlight from San Luis Obispo to Seattle. My question is:

1. Will we all be able to sleep in one deluxe sleeping room, or will we need two rooms, which are then combined to make a suite?

Two rooms is really expensive and I would like to be able to only get one room, but I dont know if that will work out.

Thanks,

Sean

Posts: 5 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your grandparents are on the smallish side, they can take the bottomn bunk/couch, and you can take the top bunk.

If that won't work, get a roomette for yourself.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrk14
Member # 3829

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrk14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can a deluxe sleeper and a roomette be combined to make one larger room?

Thanks

Sean

Posts: 5 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, a deluxe sleeper and a roomette cannot be combined to make a larger room. The deluxe sleepers are located apart from the roomettes.

Three people can be comfortable in a deluxe sleeper unless the people are rather large.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two bedrooms can be combined but, again, you would double the expense.

You might consider booking the bedroom for your grandparents and you taking a coach seat. Since the bedroom is sold for three people I think you might be able to use it during the daytime and also get the three meals that are included. Others here might have more information or ideas.

Frank in dark SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vicki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plenty of room in a deluxe bedroom for three people, in my opinion.
Posts: 149 | From: Joliet, IL USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plenty of room during the day but if they are average sized folks it'll be "cozy" at night. Some people find the upper berths in general to be a bit claustrophobic. I'm 6'2", 190lbs and am not comfortable up there.

Frank in Sunny, Warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrk14
Member # 3829

Rate Member
Hi everyone. Thanks for all the responses. If we were to get two Superliner Roomettes, where are the restrooms and showers located in the car and how many are there?

Thanks
Sean

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Potties and showers are "down below'.

When I travel ($1650 during '04, $900 YTD '05) I ask for Roomettes 11-14 in a Superliner, which themselves are "down below' and automatically "center car". All you need do is look out the door to see if the shower is occupied.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrk14
Member # 3829

Rate Member
So is there only one shower down-stairs? Are there any up-stairs?

Thanks

Sean

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Each Bedroom (formerly Deluxe Bedroom) has it's own shower. They are all on the upper level. There is a large shower/changing room for general use (even some Bedroom occupants prefer it) on the lower level and, I believe, three, toilet/sink units (think of an airplane lav). The Handicapped Room (Room H) on the lower level has its own toilet and sink but no shower. There is also a toilet/sink on the upper level at the top of the stairs that is generally used by those in roomettes (formery Standard or Economy Bedrooms) on that level.

I hope this all helps. You've picked one of my favorite Amtrak trains although on my last two trips I had the misfortune of being in cars that lost their water pressure for most of the trip. We used the toilets, shower, etc. in the next car. My attendant moved me into an unoccupied Bedroom from a Roomette for the remainder of the trip. Still no water but I appreciated the extra room.

Frank in windy SBA

MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In reference to the above statement regarding getting three meals in deluxe bedroom, that is not always true. According to the "Rules" for the dining car LSA, they are to verify either by train manifest, and/or ticket receipt how many people (who) are occupying a sleeper room and only ticketed passengers are entitled to free meals. How closely this is enforced from train to train may vary, but I know Amtrak is stepping up efforts to ensure all accounting "rules" are followed by the LSA in both the diner and lounge cars.
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page