RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » What are the nicest places on the Sunset Ltd?

Author Topic: What are the nicest places on the Sunset Ltd?
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are the not-to-be-missed parts on the trip, and also, which cities/towns would you most recommend stopping in for overnights (or in the case of SL, over 2 nights), and do you have any hotel recs? I would be starting in Winter Park FL and may not be able to afford to go west of Tucson. Thanks
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crossing the Mississippi on the Huey Long bridge is the highlight of the entire trip.Passing through the byous just west of New Orleans is interesting.The Del Rio bridge in west Texas is the second highest in the USA.There is a beautiful canyon a few miles east of Tucson.
Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Merl
Member # 3251

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Big Merl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always liked it on day six when you pulled into New Orleans...
Posts: 88 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly, the new schedule means that you will never approach Tucson in daylight (unless running at least 5 hours late). Excuse my ignorance, is the Huey Long Bridge east or west of NOL - I'll be on the Sunset three weeks today with camera at the ready!
Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Huey P Long Bridge is just west of New Orleans. Indeed, it is quite a sight. I ll be taking the Sunset in August from Jax to Lax. I ve done it a few times already and its always a thrill.

The scenerey, while not as spectacular as the Zephyr, the SW Chief and the Coast Starlight, is interesting and ever changing. I love waking up and seeing the gulf coast of western Flrida,Alabama and Mississippi. Going through Louisiana is interesting and the rugged country of West Texas is dramatic. The final morning seeing the Cochilla Valleyand the Salton Sea is quite a sight, and the last hour or so watching the traffic on the 10 freewayas you glide into LA.

Coast to Coast on one train. It is a nice experience and I can t wait to do it again this summer!

--------------------

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great memory of the Huey Long Bridge crossing was a red-tailed hawk having fun by flying parallel to the observation lounge for almost the whole length of the west side approach, at least for half a mile. He was about 100 feet away!

You never know what you will see on a train.

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The whole ride is great--I love it! Watch the scenery near Tucson and environs, near El Paso, near New Orleans and the rest of the route through Louisianna and through western northern Florida--all nice, always changing. Well worth a trip from West to East to Jacksonville, FL with the right stuff during daylight hours.
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ethelred
Member # 3672

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ethelred     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go to the Amtrak site, www.amtrak.com, and navigate your way to the route guide for the Sunset Limited. I was not able to print it out in a font large enough to read, but if you have the same problem you can at least use it to plan ahead. They often have these guides on the train. I agree that the scenery does not compare with the Zephyr, but it's still a great ride.
Posts: 12 | From: Lexington, MA, United States | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You bet!!!!
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the tips. I hope I can afford another trip and that the SL continues running into next year. I plan to go to FL, lv from Winter Park with a sleeper one way to Tucson, and then hop back on coach runs (all I can afford), i.e., stopping in San Antonio and New Orleans, and returning to the NE on the Crescent. How far in advance do you think I need to book to still get the best rate?
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sunset has the best rates for the distance traveled. From Florida to Tucson a roomette can cost only $200. Same goes for the return. The Crescent is a little more expensive. Of course the sooner you book,the better the price.

--------------------

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner - apparently you are only going as far as Tucson, but some of the best scenery on the Sunset route is in southern Cal. as you pass the Salton Sea and all the vacation communities around it (the rail line is actually BELOW sea level!!). The westbound SL is usually late enough that you can see the Salton Sea area during daylight. Also, the "wind farm" adjacent to the Palm Springs (CA) station is interesting to see.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Does the Mariachi Band still play in the El Paso station when the sunset arrives?
MOKSRail
Member # 3163

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MOKSRail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For some of the Sunset scenery west of San Antonio, click on the Sunset page here.

http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakphotos/

Posts: 78 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MOKS - thanks for that great AMTRAK photo link!!! I didn't realize it existed until I saw your post!!
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MOKSRail
Member # 3163

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MOKSRail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the complement, Rich.

Trainweb is great at hosting web sites.

-Doug

Posts: 78 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Yes, thanks for the beautiful pictures. They really whetted my appetite for all my upcoming trips.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page