RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Who was the best AQmtrak employee you ever met?

Author Topic: Who was the best AQmtrak employee you ever met?
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who was the best, most responsible, most attentive and friendliest Amtrak employee on-board that you ever met on all your Amtrak trips?
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There have been so many. I can't name just one.

Dining car server goes to Juan, who made us feel like we were guests in his own home.

Dining car steward Von, whose lightning wit had everyone forgetting that we were running five hours late.

Assistant Conductor Pete, on that same train that was five hours late. He patiently and convincingly explained the situation to every person who complained to him about the timekeeping, effectively diffusing a tense situation.

Sleeping car attendant PJ who stayed up all night on the California Zephyr nursing a failing a/c system, then arranged refunds for everyone in the car when the a/c died in the middle of the desert.

Parlour Car attendant Tom, who anticipated every need before we did.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gregbkc
Member # 3726

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gregbkc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to tip my hat to sleeping car attendant Shirley on the Southwest Chief. Great service and a fun attitude.
Posts: 34 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no reason whatever to go the West Coast where Mr.Toy hails from, but from my travels East of Chicago, I give "best attendant" awards to (formerly) Pittsburgh based Sleeper Attendant, Maria.

I hope this wonderful lady chose to remain with Amtrak after the Pittsburgh base was closed. If she was able to relocate to Washington, i hope her "national seniority" allowed her to be assigned, and hopefully she wanted, a position as an Acela First Class attendant.

Needless to say, Acela First, is Amtrak's best foot forward; this lady I note would be as great an "Ambassador" as Amtrak could ever hope for anywhere on the System.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more to add;
Sleeping car attendent Kiyosi. He was a very quiet fellow, and extremely polite. He was right there when needed, but never obtrusive. He ran a very tight ship in a mild mannered way.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capltd29
Member # 3292

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capltd29   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My best Sleeping Car attendant was probably Ephram(sp) on the SW Chief. He has a picture on Crewten.com i believe. He was funny and attentive.

Jon

Posts: 143 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the terrific memories! One of the best employees I ever met was a hostess on Amtrak named Teresa who I became engaged to in 1973. She was attentive, nice to all passengers, very helpful and beautiful! After Amtrak killed it's hostess program she then became a flight attendant on Delta Airlines.
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pojon, did you marry Maria? Engaged leaves us hanging. The best on board Amtrak employees I ever met were: Conductor Frank Garrard on the Florida trains, Conductor Craig Allyn on the Adirondack, and Crew Chief Bob Stone on the Southwest Chief. The best in the diner were server Mike Apperson on the Sunset Limited and a matre 'd as they called them in the early 70s on the Florida-NY run back when they wore bright colored outfits. In the sleepers, John Turk Sunset/City of NOL and Julie (last name?) on the Sunset. There are so many fine people.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Regrettably, did not marry Teresa (the Amtrak hostess). After she was layed-off from Amtrak (when they ended their hostess program) she worked as a flight attendant on Delta and was transferred to Londo as a base and the frustration over that (as I lived in Florida) ruined the potential marriage. What more can I say!?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page