RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Extremely Pro-Amtrak BI-Partisan Bill proposed in house

Author Topic: Extremely Pro-Amtrak BI-Partisan Bill proposed in house
Capltd29
Member # 3292

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capltd29   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My High School english teacher has a bunch of inside Amtrak Connections, and he recieves a daily Amtrak News brief and Fwds it to me.

Recently there was a briefing about a bill that was propsed in the house by 4 reps 2 dems and 2 repubs, that would provide $2 billion annually for Amtrak for 3 or 5 years (i dont remember), it would also provide for $60 billion for Highspeed rail corridors.

I believe that the Senate has to pass an Identical bill for it to take effect.

What do ya'll think the chances are for a bill like this to pass both houses and the senate and to be signed by the president?

In other words, could this really happen or am i just dreamin'? Hopefully the latter will not come to pass.

Jon Parker

Posts: 143 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are the details: http://www.nationalcorridors.org/df/df04182005.shtml#Housegets

It was introduced by four Senators, two from each side of the aisle, and none of them from the Northeast, which is encouraging. I expect it will pick up some more co-sponsors in the near future. It is difficult to say what its chances are, but it is a much needed counteroffensive to the Bush/Mineta bankruptcy plan. I'm willing to say it will probably get farther than the administration's plan, but that may not be saying much.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capltd29
Member # 3292

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capltd29   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your reply and the link, if we only had the kind of attitude displayed by these reps. modeled throught the rest of congress.

Jon

--------------------
Have you hugged a train today?

Posts: 143 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert L
Member # 3144

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert L     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember you don't want to watch sausage or politics being made. But, having said that understand that there are two type of legislation. One is grandstanding, the other is legislation that gets passed AND signed. Congresspeople are all the time introducing, cosigning and speaking in support of certain legislation. Dems, Reps, Indys, good bills or bad, useful topics or not, costly or dollar conscious. It's okay, its what pols do, it keeps their skills sharpened.
What people need is a bill to pass AND get signed. This means it has to be very popular, usually with no backbone and no money involved (very much like the right to die issue played out in Washington recently about the Florida issue of T.S [sorry, don't know how to spell her name just now]).
Failing that, the best way to get a project through Congress AND to the President is the bury it deeply within necessary legislation that is as veto-proof as possible.
That's where most Amtrak funds come from, it is linked to other Transportation fund budgets and the Treasury appropriation bill.
Now with regard to bills proposed in Congress, with all due respect to our Congressional elected officials, they know independent bills may look good but don't have the support to get the votes, first in Committee, then on the Floor AND then stand the test of the President's veto pen.
I would like some of these independent bills to pass (Amtrak and the rail industry in general need them), but if they fail, these bills are just grandstanding.
Let's use our effort, time and emotions wisely. None of us that read these columns and care about passenger rail issues have any meaningful money to buy votes. OK, not buy votes, but to buy access.
Grandstanding bills are all talk, hyped emotion, and Congresspeople will bring them out to say "this is legislation I introduced and supported in Congress...yada, yada, yada" but no dollars at the end of the day.
Try to keep interest in other legislation.
Keep in contact with your elected officials.
But, realize how best to use our energy and effort wisely.
The key to moving beyond the annual budget battle is to move attitudes beyond NEED for National passenger rail to WANT of National passenger rail.

Like the Stones' said, you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find you get what you need.

Posts: 39 | From: Detroit, MI, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep your fingers crossed that the bill will pass or pass by being attached to a larger spending bill. The trouble is--will it pass in the House of Reps (where all spending bills need to be finally approved?!) Will it pass by and be signed by our lovely President!!?? Keep hoping and again, keep your fingers crossed.
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pojon: Why don't you google up all the bills President Bush has vetoed. Try not to break your jaw when it hits the ground.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page