RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Neighborhood around Denver Station

Author Topic: Neighborhood around Denver Station
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mary_228   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My family will arrive here on the CZ in the early evening in June. Our hotel is near Broadway (Adam's Mark Hotel). It looks like a pretty long walk, but we'll have wheeled luggage, and may well be "up" for some exercise after all that time on the train.

My question involves the neighborhood around the train station. Do you think a family with 2 kids would feel uncomfortable walking there in the evening?

Posts: 72 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should rightly defer to others, but I understand Wynkoop Street on which DUT looks out upon, has become quite the "yuppified" entertainment district.
Posts: 9979 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irish1
Member # 222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for irish1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was there about 3 years ago. the area was very nice. we had two families with young children and had to spend about 6 hours in the station area because of a very late cz. i agree with the yuppie area statement.
Posts: 175 | From: FENCE WI USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup! Yupsville it is, especially since Coor's Field was built down the street. Not at all a questionable area to walk. But if you want a ride, go to www.rtd-denver.com/ and use 'trip planner'. Enter 'Union Station' and 'Adams Mark Hotel' and you will get a list of public transit alternatives for the 6-7 minute ride. I think the Mall ride is free.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mary:
I live in Denver. Within walking distance of downtown actually. You'll take a short walk to the edge of the south edge of the station parking lot. From there you get a free 16th street mall shuttle that will take you within a half block of the Adam's Mark. Couple hundred feet at either end. It might be nice to walk back to the station. The walk to the hotel is uphill slightly.

Actually i think you may be able to get the shuttle behind the station too, but it is easier to get your luggage and walk out the front door. To 16th street. Feel free to ask more about Denver.

Ira

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mary_228   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Ira: Since you offered, I'll ask if the shuttle runs in the evenings, since the EB train is often late.

Secondly, we will be leaving Denver the next day for Grand Lake, in Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park, to attend a wedding at 4:00. Any idea how much time we should allow for the journey? We're picking up a car at Budget on Broadway Sat AM.

Thanks, Mary

Posts: 72 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Denver Union Station is in a very nice neighborhood. It is one of the nicest I've seen around a train station. Four years ago we had a nice "good eatin'" (as opposed to fine dining) dinner at a place called Dixon's just a few blocks from the train station. Be sure to check out the Tattered Cover bookstore in the next block. We had about an hour to browse there while waiting for our westbound train which was running late.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The mall shuttle runs well into the night, as there are restaurants along the mall open late. At least midnight.

RTD is our transit service and may have a website.

Allow several hours for your trip to Grand Lake. There can be a lot of traffic in RM National Park and on the way if you are going on a nice day. Worth it though. Well worth it: elk, mountains, lakes, vistas, hiking...

I second Mr. Toy's description and recommendation of Dixon's and Tattered Cover - multi story, old fashioned, helpfulstaff, great selection and sale books. Comfy couches and sofas. Coffee/snack shop.

Also can get the light rail there at the train station; the Platte River has walking paths and is close by; an old trolley runs along the Platte on weekends (denvertrolley.com I think).

Ira

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Thanks a lot everyone. I am really looking forward to our trip!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page