RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » First trip this Sunday: Durham -to- DC-to- South Bend. Any Advice?

Author Topic: First trip this Sunday: Durham -to- DC-to- South Bend. Any Advice?
DesertSpirit
Member # 3848

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for DesertSpirit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I'm taking my first Amtrak trip this Sunday May 1st. I leave Durham, North Carolina at 10:34 am. I'm supposed to arrive in Washington D.C. at 5:05 pm.

I leave D.C. the following day at 3:55 pm. I am scheduled to arrive in South Bend, Indiana at 6:34 am on May 3rd.

I'll be riding coach all the way. As far as luggage goes I'm taking one suitcase so I'm not sure if I will be able to keep it with me or what I will have to do with it. Anything I should look out for along the way? Any advice that could be useful? What’s the procedure at Union Station in D.C.?

Thanks for the help

Posts: 30 | From: Colorado | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try either of these two websites for some fairly detailed Amtrak travel tips:

On-Track-On-Line

National Asssociation Of Rail Passengers travel tips

Mr. Toy might also weigh in with some of his tips,and a few other Forum members as well.

May your trip be pleasant. [Smile]

--------------------
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one corner of the Earth all one's life."

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capltd29
Member # 3292

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capltd29   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assuming that you do not check your luggage, you will have access to your suitcase through the duration of the trip. It is also a good idea to bring a carry-on bag with you with medications and toiletry items.

Dont try to bring things that are solely dependent on electricity, there are no outlets on the segment from WAS to SOB(South Bend), not sure about the Carolinian train.

Have a good time.

Jon Parker

Posts: 143 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leaving Durham a coach seat on the right side of the train will give you the more interesting views outside your window north of Ashland, VA. One side isn't particularly different from the other south of Petersburg, VA.

Try to secure a coach seat on the left-side of the train departing DC.....this will give you the better views of the Potomac River as far as Harpers Ferry, WV (where you cross the river.)

Dress in layers for the overnight trip.....you will have no control over whether the temperature in your coach is warm or cold.......be prepared.

On the Carolinian north from Durham bring some favorite snack foods.........perhaps even a sandwich......food items in the cafe car tend to be a bit........convienance store like and also overpriced......though the cheeseburger is surprisingly decent for a microwave sandwich.

Have a nice trip and let us know about it when you finish!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, Desert Spirit, I trust that you are aware that you will be aboard Amtrak on its 34th aniversary of being in business!!!!

Secondly, I would urge you to consider a Roomette upgrade for the Wash-South Bend segment of your trip. As of a few moments ago, there are some available May 1. Of course the surcharge is steep, but to me it is simply the difference between the expecatation of a travel experience that has reasonable chance of being enjoyable as opposed to what could well prove (in my personal case, would prove) to be be an endurance contest.

Be mindful, that should you contemplate an upgrade, your meal cost, save alcohol and gratuity, is built into your accomodation charge.

Rates are UNOWARE www.amtrak.com

Just a thought.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can make your trip more comfortable by taking:

1) small pillow (inflatable or otherwise)
2) light blanket or warm clothing (the coaches can get chilly at night)
3) ear plugs (some passengers "forget" that others are trying to sleep)
4) sleep mask
5) sandwiches and soft drinks (but if you can afford it, eat dinner in the dining car.)

Also note:

Some seat cushions are more comfortable than others. If there are many empty seats when you board, try several before settling in.

If possible, pick a seat toward the center of the car for a smoother ride. Some seats don't align well with the adjacent window (several, in fact, will give you a spectacular view of the car wall). Keep that in mind when choosing.

Try not to sit too close to families with kids. They tend to fidget well into the night.

During your trip, your car might get fairly crowded, while the coach behind you stays virtually empty. If so, consider moving to the quieter car. Just be sure to take all your belongings. Also take the paper / cardboard "seat check" (which the conductor placed over your seat when he took your ticket) and reposition it in plain view over your new seat. Let the conductor and car attendant know you've moved, however, so they can give you a heads-up shortly before you pull into South Bend. Since you'll be arriving early (when some passengers are still asleep), the crew may not make a train-wide announcement over the PA system.

Don't leave electronic stuff (cell phone, audio gadgets, camera, etc.) in plain sight when you leave your seat or sleep.

The cleanliness of the toilets can deteriorate. If the passengers in your car are slobs, simply try the next car (also remember that the toilets designed for handicapped people are larger, get used less, and tend to stay cleaner).

Whenever the conductor allows, get off the train at various stations en route -- if only for three minutes -- to stretch and take in some fresh air. Stay near the train, though. Don't wander away.

Take a stroll through the train periodically.

And don't forget to look out the window. That's what it's all about.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capltd29
Member # 3292

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capltd29   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
North of petersburg watch for the high james river bridge on both sides
Posts: 143 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page